What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFS 4500 upgrade

Chippster1

I am considering upgrading my AFS 4500 screens. Should I just stick to the AFS 5400, which is a drop in replacement for the 4500? Is it a big deal to place the 5600 which is only slightly bigger? Do I have to replace the AHRS?
How much better is the 5000 series?
Any input would be appreciated!

What kind of airplane?

For me, having an RV-8 it was not only an easy upgrade, but the only choice I had or it would have been a major job.

The 5400 needs you to add either an AHRS or ADAHRS since the 4500 has it internally and the 5000 does not.

Again, I had no space for the ADARHS, so I replaced my 4500 magnatometer with the “RED BOX AHRS”.

If you have the space, go big! I have all the options of the bigger 5000 series, but less buttons.

It?s an Rv-10 and I do have the external AHRS in the rear bulkhead
Sounds like the 5400 makes most sense.
Do you think Dynon will discontinue all things AFS?

Good question.

I think it may take some time before they do. It seems that Rob is still very involved and will hang around for a while.

It?s an Rv-10 and I do have the external AHRS in the rear bulkhead
Sounds like the 5400 makes most sense.
Do you think Dynon will discontinue all things AFS?

We've all been hearing this question for a ong time now (3-4 years?), and yet Rob and team keep putting out new features and new panels. You are most familiar with the operation of the AFS units. The 5400 is a great upgrade for you.

Vic

The biggest difference is the buttons and knobs. It will flatten out the menus a bit more than on the 4500.

The upgrade from an electrical point of view is identical. The larger screens will require new panel cut outs. If you have the room, I would go with the larger screens.

If not, the 5400s work just fine.

I did

I upgraded my 4500 to 5400 touch last winter. been flying all year with the new screen. Man what a great upgrade. Youll be amazed at how much has changed in the 5 years since I bought the 4500. The thing I like best is the comfort and safety that I feel with the integration with the ARINC. It just works better, maybe its the faster processor I don't know, but its confidence building.

I added the 3 knob accessory panel above the screen giving functionality knobs that the 5400 doesn't have due to screen size.

yes you need a new ADHRS, but its worth the effort, I think

Back