What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailspring to Tailfork Fairing

Loman

Well Known Member
A long time ago, I saw a photo on VAF of a beautiful fairing job covering the aft end of the tail spring blended into a tail wheel fairing. I even exchanged PMs with the builder but have since lost the PMs plus photos and can?t unearth them now using the search function. The builder told me he had replaced the two standard tail spring bolts with sawn off roll pins.

I have always considered the tail wheel assembly to be ugly and draggy (same thing really) so I am thinking of doing some fairing back there and this is the time for me to do it or else forget it.

Does anyone know this aircraft or remember the post concerned so that I could reconnect?

This will help understand what is needed. As said Vans has a fairing but to make it fit you will need to change over to Vince's tailwheel fork. The fairing will not work on Van's full swivel fork due to the angle change when swiveled 180 degrees. Read the description. At the bottom it explains. Several of us have done this and it does look good. I don't have pictures here but if you want more info email me and I will send you a couple.

http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/Screaming-Eagle-Retrofit-Tailwheel-Fork-p/1100.htm

This may be the one you are thinking about. 11 years and 1000 hours on the rocket. A lot of it on grass with no problems at all.

wrntvl.jpg

Back