What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gretz Heated Pitot Tube Drain Hole

norm_brud

I'm New Here
Happy New Year. I have a RV9A built in 2009 (not by me) that has a Gretz heated pitot tube that is fully painted. I see no drain hole and am wondering if it ever had one or if it was painted over. Does anyone know if the older Gretz had a drain hole? If it does not have one, then I want one as water got pushed up into my AHRS box and ruined it. Any help appreciated.

Norm Brudigam
Concord, CA

Happy New Year. I have a RV9A built in 2009 (not by me) that has a Gretz heated pitot tube that is fully painted. I see no drain hole and am wondering if it ever had one or if it was painted over. Does anyone know if the older Gretz had a drain hole? If it does not have one, then I want one as water got pushed up into my AHRS box and ruined it. Any help appreciated.

Norm Brudigam
Concord, CA

No, the Gretz pitot doesn't have a dedicated drain hole.

How did water get to the AHRS? That would be an awful lot of water. Where was the AHRS installed?

Bob,

Thanks for the reply about the lack of a drain hole in the Getz heated pitot tube, I find it odd that a heated pitot would have no drain.

The AHARS is located in front of the instrument panel and there is an access panel on the front deck there which is exposed to the weather, that could have been the source of the water/moisture. It was exposed to one storm due to getting stuck in Ashland OR due to weather.

Don't you think a heated pitot should have a drain? What happens when you have to fly in the rain?

Norm

Standard Vans' bent-tube pitot

has no drain hole. What happens then? Rarely fly in rain but never see water migrating anywhere in the visible (cabin) pitot lines. Need to add a drain hole to the factory setup??

Back