What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Handle?

pilot28906

Well Known Member
I am working on attaching the canopy handle that is over head on the RV7. I can't find a hole call out for the cotter pin or a location. Do you just place it on the shaft to allow the handle to have a good fit when closed? Also any trouble getting it to turn when the cotter pin is installed; the cotter pin is large and looks like it will hit the bow when twisted? Maybe I am just overthinking this.

Thanks

Drawing 43

John,

Not certain of your dilemma, but take a look at Drawing 43. All the details are on the left side. The only cotter pin goes through an AN23-10 screw with Castle nut.

Best regards,

Merrill

I am working on attaching the canopy handle that is over head on the RV7. I can't find a hole call out for the cotter pin or a location. Do you just place it on the shaft to allow the handle to have a good fit when closed? Also any trouble getting it to turn when the cotter pin is installed; the cotter pin is large and looks like it will hit the bow when twisted? Maybe I am just overthinking this.

Thanks

Merrill, I think he is talking about the safety handle on the tip up. I have been wrong before, John Thocker dope slaps me (with a smile) when I don't "read for comprehension".

I "think" that the 1/2 thickness of the cotter is less than the clearance so a tightly wrapped pin won't hit but it will be close. The loop - certainly it will not rotate by. rzbill has a nice website with a mod he made to keep the assembly tight. Some also use a wave washer under the top washer and pin to create some friction. I am weeks away from mine but that is what I remember. Look up Bills website. Part is under "canopy" and the finishing is under the "misc".

Last edited:
As Bill alluded to, I put a wave washer in my assembly to assure s a bit of resistance to rotation. This was after I read posts by two RVers who got locked out of their tip-up after the handle rotated closed (locked) on its own.

As Bill alluded to, I put a wave washer in my assembly to assure s a bit of resistance to rotation. This was after I read posts by two RVers who got locked out of their tip-up after the handle rotated closed (locked) on its own.

Definitely pay attention to this. I've actually seen it happen, to a friend's -6 tipper. It is *very* difficult to turn the handle when you have to reach in through the NACA vent.

Charlie

Yes, the handle on the top of the tipper. Thanks for the info; I will take a look at the build site. Getting locked out would be bad!:eek:

Back