What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTX335(R) and GPS 430W question

Well Known Member
I am working on an avionics upgrade at the moment and have a question. I will be installing a 430W and probably a GTX335 for the ADSB-out solution. Garmin's product literature mentions specifically that the GTX335 and 345 interface in some particular way with the 430W but nowhere online can I find specifics of what this means. I know that the 600 and 700 series are capable of controlling the 335/345 transponders (at least the remote versions). Is this also what is implied in saying that the transponders interface with the 430W/530W?

If so, has anyone done this, and what does it look like on screen?

I know that the 430W can display traffic and weather if supplied by a 345 (that much is clearly stated) but Garmin's literature has me at a loss for what it means for a 335 / 430W combination. If I could use my new 430W to control a remote GTX335 that would be great and save me some panel space that I would like to retain.

Any ideas about what I am missing?

Edited to not that I hate auto correct because it messed up my title for this thread. "GPS 430W" is supposed to read "GNS430W"

You will get ADSB out capability with the 335/430W. You will get traffic and weather on the 430W from a 345. All via ARINC and RS 232. No transponder control from a 430.......I think!

I don't see any way for the GNS4xx/5xx to run a remote transponder, so you'll need a panel mount one.

The GTX335/345 use one RS232 and one ARINC 429.

The RS232 is to supply the transponder with position source data for the ADS-B out message.

335 - The ARINC 429 provides TIS-A to GNS4xx/5xx.

345 - The ARINC 429 provides :

Thanks for the replies, guys. I think my questions are answered.

To be clear, and to answer Chkaharyer99's question, this is not for my RV-10, which is still under construction, but my Warrior. I am upgrading the avionics in the Warrior for three reasons. First, I don't have a certified IFR GPS navigator in it, and I have run into some issues when flying IFR in the last year that will be fixed by being able to file /G. Second, by my build schedule for the RV-10, I will be trying to sell the Warrior at a time when it may be hard to sell a non ADSB compliant aircraft. Third, I want to keep flying the Warrior while I build, and if my build schedule becomes extended near or past 2020 I want to have an airplane I can still fly legally IFR.

I do have a portable GDL39 for ADSB-in that I will continue to use with Garmin Pilot on the android. Once the RV-10 is built, it will have ADSB-IN and -out built in and I'll probably sell the portable with the Warrior. But I do not want to spend more on the Warrior than I have to, hence the 335/430W combo vs the 345 and a 650/750.
I figured this question might be pertinent to RVs as well.

Last edited:
GTX335 connected to a GNS430W Install Question

I recently purchased a GTX335 (transponder) and Currently in the process connecting it to my existing GNS430W (Nav Source) which I had the Software updated to Rev 5.3 (current I believe)

here is the suggested connections in the back of the Garmin install Manual

Single_430W.jpg

and this is how I am hooking things up and configuring the devices

gtx335-gns430W.jpg

a close up

Close-up.jpg

My Question is how does one set the configuration on the GNS430W so that
it toggles pin 11 (Discrete Out Annunciation E) for the TIS-A ...Can't seem
to find it in the Discrete out selection for the 430W

Thanks in advance for your help

I recently purchased a GTX335 (transponder) and Currently in the process connecting it to my existing GNS430W (Nav Source) which I had the Software updated to Rev 5.3 (current I believe)

My Question is how does one set the configuration on the GNS430W so that
it toggles pin 11 (Discrete Out Annunciation E) for the TIS-A ...Can't seem
to find it in the Discrete out selection for the 430W

Thanks in advance for your help

Hello Mcminn,

No configuration is required for the TIS-A Select discrete output on pin 11.

The GNS configures this automatically when a TIS-A traffic receiver like the GTX 335 is connected/configured.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

Thanks so much for you help!
I got everything wired and gtx 335, gns340W configured .
just about to do my verification flight, request a report and see if I got everything right. waiting on the weather to improve,
Thanks again

Garmin 335/gps vs 345

Can the garmin 335 with gps work with the 430w as well as the garmin 345?

Yes. GTX 335 and GTX 345 will work with the GNS 430 W. As long as the 430W has the software updates you can use it as your GPS position source. There would be no need to buy the optional GPS for the GTX 335 or 345. But if you already did, they will work together.

I have the GTX 345 and use a GNS 430W as the position source in my RV-8. I'm very happy with it.

However, if it's a certified plane, the Garmin promotional deal may be easier.

For $100 over the plain GTX-335 price you get a separate certified GPS WAAS antenna as the ADSB position source.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/garmin_gtx335-11-15034.php

Garmin will also sell this kit to and A&P for certified planes rather than having to go to a Garmin avionics shop for installation. Your final installed cost may be cheaper.

I just did this in my Tiger and got the $500 rebate.

Back