What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Snap-On Wrench Date Codes

robertahegy

Moderator/Tech Counselor
I have a set of Snap-On wrenches that I purchased new in 1969. That symbol on Doug's Dad's wrench is clearly 1968. I have some tubing wrenches that I am certain are original to the set with that symbol. Many of the wrenches and sockets I have do not exhibit the date symbols, but are from the original set. I think Doug's wrench could have been a replacement. My current 3/8" ratchet exhibits a 1980 diamond symbol. I believe that wrench was replaced around 1980 due to the original being lost. I also have some other wrenches that were purchased as replacements for lost wrenches with the 1982 symbol.> . My original 1/2" drive ratchet does not have a date code that I can see.

It was fun researching this and thanks for sharing.

Roberta:)

[ed. Here's the chart..... dr]
VAF_09%20Jan.%2002%2014.32.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Still have a 1/4" drive flex head set purchased off the Snap-On truck as a budding tower crane tech in 1973. Lost a few sockets in a bad bike crash in 1980, but most are originals. About once per decade I take the ratchet apart for cleaning, while thinking about all the interesting places it has been ;)

Interesting story.......

I had a SnapOn 1/4" ratchet that had begun to "slip". I caught the SnapOn guy at TI and he said, "Bring it in next week."
I took it in the following week, he looked at it and said, "No warranty!"
"What? I thought SnapOn was warrantied for life." He said, "I'll bet that you got this from your Dad who was in the military during WWII." Yep!
"See the 'V' after the serial number? This was built under contract for the military and has no warranty. If I can fix it with a rebuild kit, I can do it. But I can't 'replace' it."
Fortunately, the rebuild kit worked and it's been working perfectly ever since.

Back