What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 & Frugal Building

NCGAPilot

Is it possible to be frugal when building the RV-12? It's a simple question brought about by Van's $65k sticker price for the kit from beginning to end.

You could build as EAB, find a used engine and delete the avionics package, but the way the RV-12 is set up, it would be a LOT of work.
The RV-12 program is really not set up for anything but ELSA.
Typically people build the -12 as EAB because they want something different, not to save money.

You could build as EAB, find a used engine and delete the avionics package, but the way the RV-12 is set up, it would be a LOT of work.
The RV-12 program is really not set up for anything but ELSA.
Typically people build the -12 as EAB because they want something different, not to save money.

Well I had the idea of using a used Rotax 912ULS and building the panel myself, which would probably save me a chunk of change.

Interesting question. Vans say the kit is complete except for fluids and paint, and that is basically true. However you still need to buy a tool kit and compressor, pay for freight, set up a workshop of some kind, pay extra for the optional kits if you decide to install them, pay for primer if you choose to prime, buy replacement parts when you make mistakes, pay for painting unless you like the look of bare aluminium and fibreglass, etc. Realistically, I think for a bare-bones ELSA RV-12 you should allow about 10% extra to build one, and another 10% for a basic professional paint job. Because the -12 is an integrated kit, it's hard to be frugal on the basic kit aircraft from Vans. However, it is certainly possible to save substantial money if you go EAB and buy an alternative engine such as a used Rotax, new Jabiru, Viking etc. and shop around for other items such as avionics and paint it yourself. I'm guessing you may be able to get one flying for around $55k. Others may be able to provide better numbers.

Well I had the idea of using a used Rotax 912ULS and building the panel myself, which would probably save me a chunk of change.

You could do that if you build EAB. You would have the task of building the panel and wiring everything, but this is the same as building any other EAB aircraft.
Not sure if you can get the FWF package without the engine. You would have to ask Vans about that.

There are several FWF packages available for the RV-12 that are several thousand dollars cheaper than the Rotax. Viking, Jabiru and ULPower come to mind.

You could do that if you build EAB. You would have the task of building the panel and wiring everything, but this is the same as building any other EAB aircraft.
Not sure if you can get the FWF package without the engine. You would have to ask Vans about that.

I thought the FWF package was in the Finishing Kit? :confused:

RV12 Cost

We came in about 13K less than the advertised cost going EAB.
We used the UL Power 260iS engine, our own firewall forward, electrical system and yes we have a Skyview system
purchased from Stein with the Skyview Transponder, 2 axes autopilot and ICOM 210 Radio.
That price does not count the painting @ $4K.
We are very please with the result and cost.
It is an excellent kit

We came in about 13K less than the advertised cost going EAB.
We used the UL Power 260iS engine, our own firewall forward, electrical system and yes we have a Skyview system
purchased from Stein with the Skyview Transponder, 2 axes autopilot and ICOM 210 Radio.
That price does not count the painting @ $4K.
We are very please with the result and cost.
It is an excellent kit

Hey, is the FWF kit for the 260iS engine for sale yet? :confused:

No sir. It is a completely stand-alone kit, AFTER you buy the finishing kit.

You get the cowling with the finishing kit, along with an upper engine mount. But the engine itself, along with the many engine parts, FWF wiring harness, and other various pieces are a completely different sub-kit.

Last edited:

Most of the FWF package is part of the engine kit, which is why that kit is so much more expensive than a basic Rotax engine. If you want to save money, be prepared to do a lot more work yourself.

for a comparison a viking with fwf is about $18g and a gps, grt eis and steam gauges can probably be had for $4g or less. that takes $18g off vans sticker of $64g.
not saying viking is the answer but choices is what homebuilding is all about.

I have done enough research to suggest that Viking engine is an excellent choice if one decides to go EAB. I am going that route in my build.

Last edited:
What happens to the resale value/ability when you do EAB

When you go to sell an ELSA RV-12 you have a fully engineered and documented build. The new owner can do his own annual inspection just by attending a 16 hour course. These two items add resale value and probably will expedite resale on the market to a new owner.

Last edited:
To the OP welcome to the dark side! ;). :D

How about a partner to split the costs? It is a great project for 2 guys to work on togeasther and build it ELSA. Then you don't have to worry about what you designed and built, Van's did it for you.

Just a thought. ;)

It is a great plane to fly and maintain.

Back