What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine installed, panel complete

pstraub

Well Known Member
I don't have a blog, but I wanted to share. I so appreciate this VAF community and all the wisdom and help I have received this past year. Still a long way to go but it's getting exciting. I got a new Rotax 912 for Christmas (OK, my wife let me buy a Rotax 912 for Christmas). Hope you all have a wonderful holiday season and a very Happy New Year! Paul
2j4c5tl.jpg

2z8stp3.jpg

2vkypa8.jpg

ou5bmp.jpg

2r5byom.jpg

Closer and closer

Paul, wow dude, you are just flying along with that project.

Congrats on the latest milestone or two of your build.

Looks great - starting to get exciting, isn't it, now that's it's really starting to look like an airplane :)

Nice! Great looking workmanship, looks like you are really enjoying your build. Nice clear pictures, too.

Thanks for all the encouraging words. I started building in March, my goal was one year, so I am probably on track. My garage is about 1200sf, so makes a pretty nice airplane workshop. I set it up 5 years ago as a man cave/car/motorcycle shop with lifts. I was able to park all 3 cars and the bikes inside. I told my wife that for the next year, our cars would stay in the driveway (the 911 and bikes still stay inside). The winter is mild here, so leaving cars outside is not a big deal. For anyone interested, I have a chronology of the RV-12 pictures here and my garage pictures here.

I have to confess... I looked at the garage pics first :D

Your 12 build looks beautiful. You're going to really enjoy it. Motorcycles, sports car, and a RV-12. Good one...

Wow, looks great, Paul. I'm jealous, I started my 12 last May, but I will take much longer due to work, kids, etc. I was wondering if the nose can be raised enough to fit the VS under the garage door? Someday that will be a problem I'll need to consider. Thanks Rob

I was wondering if the nose can be raised enough to fit the VS under the garage door?

Hi Rob, it's easy to move out of the garage. The low point is my front garage door at about 7', the tip of the VS is over 8'. When I push the tail down, I can easily get the tip of VS down to 6', while the nose only goes up about 12". I just mounted the engine and it's still very easy to push the tail down.

Buy a Hardwood Dolly from Harbor Freight. They periodically go on sale for less than $10.
Build the dolly up higher with 4 pieces of 2x4. Hold the RV-12 tail down while
your assistant rolls the dolly under the nose wheel. Then the tail will clear the
garage door as the aircraft is rolled into or out of the garage.

Buy a Hardwood Dolly from Harbor Freight. They periodically go on sale for less than $10.
Build the dolly up higher with 4 pieces of 2x4. Hold the RV-12 tail down while
your assistant rolls the dolly under the nose wheel. Then the tail will clear the
garage door as the aircraft is rolled into or out of the garage.

Great suggestion Joe, that would pretty much turn it into a one man job once the nose wheel dolly was securely in place. Thanks.

Thanks very much!

Ron, are you in NorCal Brentwood? I lived there for 15 years (off Balfour and Fairview) If so, where do you keep your RV-12?

I'm just down the road from you Paul. Currently, my RV is in my garage, but I have a hangar at Byron. Come on over!

Last edited:
Back