What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seeking insight into maintenance costs for new RV-12 SLSA

[email protected]

Well Known Member
I'm daydreaming about buying an RV-12 SLSA. I've been checked out to rent one of the few that is available for rent, so the joys of owning one are easy to imagine. The costs owning one are a bit harder for me to figure.

I've done my homework and have estimates of what it will cost to buy the plane, insure it, park it, have it inspected each year, keep the GPS database updated, and buy fuel and oil.

What I can't estimate is what maintenance, repair and Service Bulletin compliance costs may be. I know that these costs can vary wildly as a result of factors and events beyond a plane owner's ability to control or forecast. But I can't guess whether those costs are likely to be in the neighborhood of, say, $5,000 or $25,000, over the first 5 years of the plane's life.

If I were to buy an RV-12, it's likely that I would attend the Rotax maintenance course and the Light Sport repair course. But I have my heart set on a brand new factory-built plane registered as an SLSA, so even after taking those courses, I will not be able to do all of my own maintenance and repairs.

Any insights into what I should reasonably guess those costs might be will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Lon

In CA, as you are, don't forget personal property tax - 1% of appraised value - every year.
You should be able to do routine work like oil changes and plug cleaning, assuming you are inclined to do so. Those costs depend on how many hours per year you fly. Also tires/tubes depend on how many landing you do, but 3 - 4 years is typical for many.
Pay the A&P the cost of inspection (again, if he lets you do the grunt work of opening/closing it up, grease where needed, brake pads, etc. it can save money). Hopefully there will be few unexpected squawks in the first 5 years. As it ages, of course, there will be more.

If I were to buy an RV-12, it's likely that I would attend the Rotax maintenance course and the Light Sport repair course. But I have my heart set on a brand new factory-built plane registered as an SLSA, so even after taking those courses, I will not be able to do all of my own maintenance and repairs.

One option with an S-LSA is to have it recertified as an E-LSA. You could then do all maint. and even the annual condition inspection if you have taken the Rotax and the Repairmans courses.

The only down side is possible resale value because the airplane can then not be used for hire, and the only way it could ever be switched back is by the manufacturer doing it.

I could be mistaken, but doesn't the two week course allow a person to inspect an S-LSA? Or is that only for E-LSA aircraft that belong to others. Mel?

I could be mistaken, but doesn't the two week course allow a person to inspect an S-LSA? Or is that only for E-LSA aircraft that belong to others. Mel?

Correct

I assumed he was talking about the 16 hr inspector course since he new it wouldn't allow him to work on an S-LSA.

I bought an SLSA in July 2014. I'm very pleased with the airplane and have had no problems.

I thought about doing the courses but to tell you the truth its been easier and cheaper to simply have my Rotax trained mechanic do all the maintenance and service, which hasn't been very much. Besides I've learnt a lot watching and working with him. He charges $535 for the annual plus anything that needs doing and parts. I haven't had anything other than oil and brake pads. I thought about doing the service course only but so far I don't feel the need.
Biggest issue I have had has been regarding replacing the defective carb floats a while back. I got a few drips of fuel and a couple of sunken floats but the Rotax always ran perfectly and eventually, through Lockwood, I got new floats and was fully reimbursed.

Although I used 100LL initially to fly the plane home from Vans and for a few months after that I've been using 93 non-ethanol, and currently E-10 93 ($2.54 gallon) so my oil changes are at every 50 hours. That's been working out at 2-3 oil changes a year. Cost is 3 quarts of oil and a filter each time.

I'm changing the plugs at annual next month which isn't much and I added a mod for the panels under the tank last time since it was coming out anyway, I think the panels were less than $20.

I added the wifi adaptor for SkyView ($39) and it works great with my iPad with Foreflight. I'm thinking of adding an iFly 740 GPS to backup the single SkyView for situational awareness and will be adding the 2020 GPS soon so as to be fully ADSB compliant. When I bought my plane dual screens weren't offered but I'd get them today if I was buying.

I chose the RV-12 because its made in the USA and , in my view, provides better performance than some foreign made LSAs which can cost up to $100k more than I paid. My empty weight is 765lbs providing a useful load of 555 lbs which is also much better than many other LSA models.
My insurance is $1306 for full coverage including replacing the RV with a new one if needed. Nice electric hangar is $165 month here in SC.
Vans support is great and this forum has been an excellent resource.

I've put on about 240 hours since July 2014 and I plan on 5 gallons per hour and usually get 4.8 and 118-120kts at 5300rpm.

My goal has been to fly as much as I can, when I want to, and be able to do as much as I can on my own. The RV-12 SLSA has been very reliable and very economical and so my 'mission' has been more than met. I pay about $1200 year in SC personal property tax but my sales tax was only $300.
My goal in owning rather than renting was to be able to fly 15 hours per month and pay the same or less than renting. So far I'm ahead and I can fly whenever I want.

Hope this helps answer your question?

Last edited:
Rich and Turner,

Sorry, you're right. I meant to say empty weight of 765 instead of useful load. The useful load is 555.

I've corrected my error in the earlier post!

Last edited:
In CA, as you are, don't forget personal property tax - 1% of appraised value - every year.
You should be able to do routine work like oil changes and plug cleaning, assuming you are inclined to do so. Those costs depend on how many hours per year you fly. Also tires/tubes depend on how many landing you do, but 3 - 4 years is typical for many.
Pay the A&P the cost of inspection (again, if he lets you do the grunt work of opening/closing it up, grease where needed, brake pads, etc. it can save money). Hopefully there will be few unexpected squawks in the first 5 years. As it ages, of course, there will be more.

Thanks Bob. I took into account the California Personal Property Tax. But I forgot about tires and tubes, so now I've added those to my spreadsheet.

You've given me reason to hope -- and I know it's just a hope -- that there'll be few unexpected squawks when the plane is still young.

I bought an SLSA in July 2014. I'm very pleased with the airplane and have had no problems.

I thought about doing the courses but to tell you the truth its been easier and cheaper to simply have my Rotax trained mechanic do all the maintenance and service, which hasn't been very much. Besides I've learnt a lot watching and working with him. He charges $535 for the annual plus anything that needs doing and parts. I haven't had anything other than oil and brake pads. I thought about doing the service course only but so far I don't feel the need.
Biggest issue I have had has been regarding replacing the defective carb floats a while back. I got a few drips of fuel and a couple of sunken floats but the Rotax always ran perfectly and eventually, through Lockwood, I got new floats and was fully reimbursed.

Although I used 100LL initially to fly the plane home from Vans and for a few months after that I've been using 93 non-ethanol, and currently E-10 93 ($2.54 gallon) so my oil changes are at every 50 hours. That's been working out at 2-3 oil changes a year. Cost is 3 quarts of oil and a filter each time.

I'm changing the plugs at annual next month which isn't much and I added a mod for the panels under the tank last time since it was coming out anyway, I think the panels were less than $20.

I added the wifi adaptor for SkyView ($39) and it works great with my iPad with Foreflight. I'm thinking of adding an iFly 740 GPS to backup the single SkyView for situational awareness and will be adding the 2020 GPS soon so as to be fully ADSB compliant. When I bought my plane dual screens weren't offered but I'd get them today if I was buying.

I chose the RV-12 because its made in the USA and , in my view, provides better performance than some foreign made LSAs which can cost up to $100k more than I paid. My empty weight is 765lbs providing a useful load of 555 lbs which is also much better than many other LSA models.
My insurance is $1306 for full coverage including replacing the RV with a new one if needed. Nice electric hangar is $165 month here in SC.
Vans support is great and this forum has been an excellent resource.

I've put on about 240 hours since July 2014 and I plan on 5 gallons per hour and usually get 4.8 and 118-120kts at 5300rpm.

My goal has been to fly as much as I can, when I want to, and be able to do as much as I can on my own. The RV-12 SLSA has been very reliable and very economical and so my 'mission' has been more than met. I pay about $1200 year in SC personal property tax but my sales tax was only $300.
My goal in owning rather than renting was to be able to fly 15 hours per month and pay the same or less than renting. So far I'm ahead and I can fly whenever I want.

Hope this helps answer your question?

Thank you TopCat! Your response does help answer my question . . . and is very encouraging.

Thanks Bob. I took into account the California Personal Property Tax. But I forgot about tires and tubes, so now I've added those to my spreadsheet.

You've given me reason to hope -- and I know it's just a hope -- that there'll be few unexpected squawks when the plane is still young.

I'm coming up on my second annual and have not needed to replace tubes and tires yet.
Due to the toe-in on the RV-12 my tires have not unexpectedly worn on the outer plies. My right tire has worn more than the left.

This may be partly my fault as I find it tedious to have to remove the back half of the wheel fairing in order to check the brake pads as well as tire pressure and then re-inflate as necessary. You can eyeball the tire but of course this is the inaccurate lazy way!
I just checked tire pressures today for all three wheels and it took me about 45 minutes to unscrew the fairings put air in and re-install them.
I had my mechanic cut some holes in the fairing so as to more easily check pressure and add air but the thing here is to roll the plane back and forth trying to find the mark I made on the tire to align with the gauge!

Though I really like the fairings, and I think they add a couple of knots to cruise speed, I'm wondering if I'll try flying without them them and see how much of a difference it makes.

When I picked up my SLSA from Vans they gave me a spare inner tube to carry in the plane.
I plan on having the main tires reversed at annual since the tire is resting on the opposite side of the toe in. I've heard of owners adding shims to try and reduce this but not sure if that's allowed on an SLSA.

It would great if Vans could design an access panel in the wheel fairings so as to make the brake and tire pressure inspection so much easier.

Thanks all, for your input.

Recertifying an SLSA RV-12 as an ELSA doesn't appeal to me, because even though I don't think I'd want to lease the plane to a flight school, I wouldn't want to foreclose that possibility, and flight schools can't use ELSAs.

However, when I wrote that I might take the Light Sport maintenance and Rotax courses, I was thinking of the weekend-long versions, which wouldn't allow me to work on an SLSA. I had forgotten that there's a 120-hour version of the Light Sport maintenance course that would allow me to inspect and maintain an SLSA. So thank you for reminding me of that course. It's an attractive possibility.

Having just bought a near new (150 hours) SLSA 12, this thread has been very informative.

My annual is scheduled for the 11th of next month, and I have the OK to pull the covers and pants, (if the plane's name is female, wouldn't they be wheel panties?) and cowling, and lucky enough that the shop is within throwing distance.

I am SO GLAD I bought my 12! Taking lessons every week, should have my license soon, can't wait to solo, but I know I bought just about THE best LSA available IMO.

FWIW I consider $45/hr to be a full up operating cost at 100 hours per year with insurance, fuel and maintenance. Hangar and depreciation are not included.

Back