What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake Plates don't fit into the Pedals.

anumerick

Today's afternoon we spent putting the Brake plates onto the pedals, well attempting to that is.

I call Vans on Friday asking for assistance, an the answer I received as just bend the hinge tab so the plates will fit. However it's not the hinge tab that's the issue, it's the weld on both sides.

Should I grind the weld down? My concern is that I'll weaken the weld. Thoughts?

IMG_20150404_1609472.jpg

IMG_20150404_160907.jpg

Shave a bit of aluminum from pedals and clean/grind the welds on both sides and you will have a very nice tight fit. In couple hundred hours it wears more.

I had the same problem, and did a little bending/filing to make it all fit. The Van's weldments are not nearly a precise as their pre-punched skins.

Filing down welds

You will not weaken the weld if you file it down so it is flush with the face of the tab. Any weld extending past the face is not contributing to the strength. This needs to be done if for no other reason than it may dig into the aluminum angle causing it to catch, which you do not want in a brake pedal. I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night but I am an Engineer.

Likewise I had to do some bending and grinding myself. On two of my pedals, I also had to omit the thin washer that is supposed to go between the brake pedal angle and the rudder pedal.

Back