VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics


Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #131  
Old 03-27-2018, 12:15 PM
JwWright57 JwWright57 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 72
Default

I hear you Tony! I had to re-rivet one of the anti-servo hinges and ended up with the rivet tails inside the stabilitor. I cleared them out with a magnet on a long stick and a LOT of fishing around. It was a real PIA.
__________________
-----------------------------------------
Jeff Wright, Charlotte NC
Rv-12 started! Tail 99% done
Wings 50% complete..............
Dues paid 2018
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 03-27-2018, 01:18 PM
Piper J3's Avatar
Piper J3 Piper J3 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Hinckley, Ohio
Posts: 1,108
Default

I opted to substitute a solid AN4 rivet for one of the LP4-3 on the HS-01231C Hinge Gusset mainly to keep up appearances.

You will need to temporarily remove the AN3 bolt on the Hinge Bracket Assembly to allow access for rivet squeezer.
-

-
__________________
-
Jim Stricker
Hinckley, Ohio
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 406

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks

Last edited by Piper J3 : 03-27-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 03-27-2018, 01:59 PM
pstraub's Avatar
pstraub pstraub is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Galt, CA
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
I opted to substitute a solid AN4 rivet for one of the LP4-3 on the HS-01231C Hinge Gusset mainly to keep up appearances.
Wow, already painted and matching rivets....nice Jim
__________________
Paul Straub, First Flight May 5, 2017
N917PB, SN 120971
120 hours and counting.....
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 04-04-2018, 11:59 AM
johnhuebbe johnhuebbe is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 3
Default

I placed my order on the Vans site back on February 23, but still haven't received the parts. Is this typical?
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 04-04-2018, 12:22 PM
DaleB's Avatar
DaleB DaleB is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Omaha, NE (KMLE)
Posts: 1,907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhuebbe View Post
I placed my order on the Vans site back on February 23, but still haven't received the parts. Is this typical?
I'd definitely call and ask about it. They shipped mine in less than a week.
__________________
Dale
Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 04-04-2018, 01:23 PM
Piper J3's Avatar
Piper J3 Piper J3 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Hinckley, Ohio
Posts: 1,108
Default Installing the Stabilator is a Royal Pain...

I finished SB 18-02-02 and yesterday finally had warm enough temps to allow reinstalling the Stabilator. I followed KAI Page 11-03 instructions for attaching the Stabilator Assembly to the Tail Cone Assembly which details gluing the AN960-416 (OR -416L) washers to the Stabilator Assembly Hinge Brackets. I chose new -416 thin washers and scuffed the surfaces before gluing with super glue.

I had a problem trying to guide the Hinge Brackets over the Pivot Bearings. In my case the bearing inner race would dislodge one of the four washers with each try. The top and bottom U-shaped stiffener plates added to the new hinge brackets severely restrict access for hand placing these washers during reassembly.

My solution was to substitute a larger washer with more surface area for gluing. McMaster-Carr has a 316 Stainless Steel washer 1”OD x 0.281 ID x 0.040 thick. Hole diameter for AN960-416 is 0.265 so this larger washer has hole oversize by 0.016 so you need to center the washer over the hole in the Hinge Bracket when gluing. The new washer clamps the bearing inner race when tightening the assembly so no problem there. You will have to file two flats on the Stainless Steel washers for the outboard Hinge Brackets to clear the T-nut rivets.

A lot of folks have said that installing the Stabilator is a royal pain. With four of these large Stainless Steel washers glued to the Hinge Brackets the Stabilator slide onto the Pivot Bearings like a charm.

My 12 is licensed ELSA so substituting these washers is at my discretion. SLSA will need to follow the SB to the letter.

Disregard old Hinge Bracket and short AN bolt in photo…
-

-
__________________
-
Jim Stricker
Hinckley, Ohio
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 406

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 04-04-2018, 01:25 PM
johnhuebbe johnhuebbe is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
I'd definitely call and ask about it. They shipped mine in less than a week.
As an update, I contacted Van's. Many orders have been backordered (including mine). I was told that more would be shipping in a week, so hopefully my order is included in that shipment.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 04-04-2018, 06:07 PM
Tony_T's Avatar
Tony_T Tony_T is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lacey, WA
Posts: 1,218
Thumbs up Good report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
I finished SB 18-02-02 and yesterday finally had warm enough temps to allow reinstalling the Stabilator. I followed KAI Page 11-03 instructions for attaching the Stabilator Assembly to the Tail Cone Assembly which details gluing the AN960-416 (OR -416L) washers to the Stabilator Assembly Hinge Brackets. I chose new -416 thin washers and scuffed the surfaces before gluing with super glue.

I had a problem trying to guide the Hinge Brackets over the Pivot Bearings. In my case the bearing inner race would dislodge one of the four washers with each try. The top and bottom U-shaped stiffener plates added to the new hinge brackets severely restrict access for hand placing these washers during reassembly.

My solution was to substitute a larger washer with more surface area for gluing. McMaster-Carr has a 316 Stainless Steel washer 1”OD x 0.281 ID x 0.040 thick. Hole diameter for AN960-416 is 0.265 so this larger washer has hole oversize by 0.016 so you need to center the washer over the hole in the Hinge Bracket when gluing. The new washer clamps the bearing inner race when tightening the assembly so no problem there. You will have to file two flats on the Stainless Steel washers for the outboard Hinge Brackets to clear the T-nut rivets.

A lot of folks have said that installing the Stabilator is a royal pain. With four of these large Stainless Steel washers glued to the Hinge Brackets the Stabilator slide onto the Pivot Bearings like a charm.

My 12 is licensed ELSA so substituting these washers is at my discretion. SLSA will need to follow the SB to the letter.
Great tip Jim, Thanks
__________________
Tony
RV-12 #202 -- Flying
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 04-04-2018, 10:21 PM
DHeal DHeal is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Windsor, California
Posts: 730
Default

I guess I might be a bit concerned about potential galvanic reaction with the mix of aluminum /steel / stainless but I can't say for sure. I used a piece of thin but stiff plastic sheet bent over each bearing (with a dab of grease) to guide the brackets into place without excessively molesting the glued washers -- then pulled out the plastic sheet and inserted the bolts.

ps -- Another tip: Before you remove the tail cone, temporarily position the four skin gussets in place on the stab and mark how much of the tail cone openings you will need to trim. Doing this in advance will save you from having to reinstall / mark / trim / reinstall the tail cone a second time.
__________________
David Heal - Windsor, CA (near Santa Rosa)
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 690+ hours (as of Oct 2018)!
VAF donation through June 2019.

Last edited by DHeal : 04-04-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 04-05-2018, 04:24 PM
Piper J3's Avatar
Piper J3 Piper J3 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Hinckley, Ohio
Posts: 1,108
Default

David

Your point is well taken. I hadn’t considered the possibility of dissimilar metals, thinking Stainless Steel would be impervious to corrosion.

It’s been a very long time since I took a metallurgy class in college. I found a Galvanic Corrosion Chart listing 316 SS and a 2017 tempered aluminum alloy (Van’s uses 2024 alclad aluminum). The interaction doesn’t appear too bad if the 316 SS is in active state. Looks not so good if in passive state. Unfortunately that’s about as much as I’ve been able to glean. Perhaps a real metallurgist can comment. I have painted the aluminum Hinge Bracket first with Zinc Chromate and then gloss white urethane so chance of interaction is further reduced.

Zinc plated AN steel washer/bolt and aluminum looks like no problem.
-
__________________
-
Jim Stricker
Hinckley, Ohio
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 406

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:32 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.