What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pensacola

Kupde

Patron
Anyone have some advice on VFR from Tampa to 82J in Pensacola. Best methods to navigate the airspace and any comments on the airport itself.

Thanks

Kevin

I can't say anything about coming from the East. I flew from Dauphin Island to 82J last summer. Airport was difficult to find at the low altitude but the controller was advising me airport location from my location until we just about on top of it. The people there were great! They called a cab for us before I got the plane tied down. Really nice airport.

BOW CTY PFN PNS

From Bartow, we usually go direct to Cross City direct PFN and follow the coast to PNS.
Going CTY SZW MAI CEW PNS only adds few minutes if you're more comfortable with airways/staying over land.
82J is a nice little airport, close to NAS and the Museum of Naval Aviation. Pensacola approach is always helpful getting in and out.

I stopped there for fuel on my way back from Texas. Nice folks, runway is VERY close to NAS Pensacola. Look over AOPA patterns in use. The Elgin (beach) VFR corridor is a piece of cake. As to cutting the corner on the Gulf, that?s a personal choice. I like to stay within glide range of land most of the way.

Mark
RV-10
48X

Back in the 80's I used to go into Ferguson Field often in our B-55 Baron. Kept a real junker airport car there that we would use to get to Rod and Reel Marina in WArrington where we kept a sailboat. Favorite memory is flying in in our C-90 King Air. Folks came out to watch. Biggest problem was making the 180 at the end of the short narrow runway. Runway too narrow to stay on the hard surface. Just remember telling myself do not let her stop. Keep it rolling. What's it like these days?

Back in the 80's I used to go into Ferguson Field often in our B-55 Baron. Kept a real junker airport car there that we would use to get to Rod and Reel Marina in WArrington where we kept a sailboat. Favorite memory is flying in in our C-90 King Air. Folks came out to watch. Biggest problem was making the 180 at the end of the short narrow runway. Runway too narrow to stay on the hard surface. Just remember telling myself do not let her stop. Keep it rolling. What's it like these days?

Still narrow with no taxiway. The west side of the aerodrome is a grass runway in good condition. I landed north, turned left across the grass to the pump. Nice clean FBO, when leaving, I back taxied the hard surface runway.

Mark

Anyone flown in and either rented a car or were able to get an Uber to the NAS museum? It's been a while since we visited, & I've always driven in the past. Easy & inexpensive, or hard & costly?

Charlie

The taxi the called for us was to the museum. I think it was about $25 each way. They gave me a card for the FBO to call for a return taxi and the driver gave me a card to call the cab company. I forgot which we did but getting a car was just a few minutes wait.

Back