What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Mid Air Over lake Conroe

That is sad, so sad.

Don't you love the media reports, its the second Experimental aircraft to crash in the last few months in that area.:mad: The subtle suggestion is?

No mention of the number of cars/bikes etc....:mad:

Pilot was Dennis, also known as DENMACRES here on the forums. Great pilot, person and friend. He will be missed.

Here is their beautiful RV-6....
30789_390660769742_507919742_3793623_4790405_n.jpg

I have looked up to Dennis since I met him. Great Guy, Great Pilot. My Prayers are with his family.

This is a sad day.

Very Sad Day

Thoughts with the family of Dennis and with the family of the other pilot for a speedy recovery.

A truly sad day

It was a very sad day.

Dennis is a friend and a mentor to me. He helped me with transition into RV's and I just completed my biannual flight review with him a few weeks ago. He did my pre-buy on my -6. I will miss his generosity and knowledge.

I will not speculate as to what happened. But I can say I knew both pilots and have flown Dennis's RV-6. Both pilots are very experienced. Both planes are award winning quality and were maintained to the highest level. Both pilots were experienced in formation flight and this was not an informal flight. This should not have happened and I am very sad for Dennis, his family and friends, Doug and all those affected by this unfortunate accident.

This shatters my very naive notion that more experience helps to remove some of the danger in what we do for fun.

The only comfort I can feel right now is that he was doing what he loved. We lost a great man today.

Didn?t know the man, but hate knowing what his family is going through right now.

In the OP, the link shows an exact pic of a RV-6 that is for sale right now in Ohio that is on Barnstormers. Couldn?t get the video to open, but that particular 6 evidently wasn?t involved in the crash since another news story lists a N number different than the one in Ohio. Reporters might be a bit careful about doing that.

It's hard to tell, but is that a camera mount at the tip of Dennis' vertical stab? Maybe something could be learned from that...

Condolences to the families and the other pilots in the formation.

I've started typing a response twice now and deleted it all. I really don't know what to say.

Dennis was a great friend and I'm going to miss him. He was a class act and there is now an empty spot in my heart for him.

He was a great man.

Phil

My condolences to all who lost a friend and mentor. To lose a friend is tough stuff, hang in there.

I am very sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
Dennis will be Missed

Like Phil, I've started and stopped writing a reply several times. It's still hard to accept what has happened.

I met Dennis years ago at a fly-in, shortly after he and Dick finished their beautiful RV-6. And let me say that it really was beautful--it stood out from every other plane at the fly-in. As we were taking pictures of RVs, we kept gravitating back to their RV since it was such a stand-out.

Dennis appeared that morning to wipe down the plane and a few of us builders were asking him questions. You could tell he had a lot of pride in their workmanship and he took the time to answer all of the questions in detail. He even pulled the cowling and showed us some things they had done up front. Incredibly, this plane looked just as good from the firewall forward as the rest of the plane.

Well, that was just the start of our relationship with Dennis. He became our tech counselor for both my build and my buddy Clayton's down the road, flying from Conroe to Beaumont several times to check up on us. He went out of his way to be helpful, providing us with many tips and suggestions during both of our builds that we would not have come up with on our own. When we would hit snags during our builds, we'd often drive over to Conroe to see how Dennis & Dick did it. I just can't stress enough how much he influenced both of our builds.

We have truly lost a good man and he will be missed.

Info

Yes indeed, you guys who are in the loop there please keep us posted with what happened.

As mentioned before by a LONG-TIME VAFer, how about you PM that info instead of putting it out here where anyone and everyone can access it, have some respect for family and friends of the deceased.

because sharing info related to aviation mishaps benefits all of us as long as it is done factually and respectfully. Keeping it private helps no one. Please share whatever factual info you may have with all of us. Thanks

Five years ago I flew to Conroe to visit my brother, Loren and his wife, Kim. Dennis was kind enough to share his hangar space with me. Loren wanted to build a RV but was concerned that Kim was a fearful flyer. Kim got in the back seat of my RV-8 and got a bit of a panic attack when I started to pull the canopy closed. The following day as we were getting ready to fly back home Dennis asked if Kim would like to try out his RV-6. I hopped in with her and for some reason the side-by-side seating put her at ease. That's Dennis looking on from the right side as Kim got comfortable in his right seat.

dscn127220061004.jpg

Next think I know, Dennis is trading places with me and we're off on a formation ride with Kim in his right seat. Check out the RV grin on her face!

dscn131020061004.jpg

Loren started building his RV-7 soon thereafter. With the full support of his not-so-fearful flyer wife, Kim, he is now working on firewall forward details and hopes to be airborne before long.

Thanks to Dennis! Blue skies.

As mentioned before by a LONG-TIME VAFer, how about you PM that info instead of putting it out here where anyone and everyone can access it, have some respect for family and friends of the deceased.

While I certainly respect the deceased and their families, as a long time formation flier I believe we need to understand the cause of this tragic accident so it is never repeated.

While I certainly respect the deceased and their families, as a long time formation flier I believe we need to understand the cause of this tragic accident so it is never repeated.

I agree completely with the above statement. After 30 years of flying the phrase that is always in my mind is "There but the grace of god go I". I can't tell you how many times I learned something from my own or others mistakes that has helped keep me safe. Sometimes those mistakes are tragic but that does not lesson the need to know and understand what happened so it can be avoided in the future.

George

Gonna miss him

Yup, as my brother said, I wouldn't be building if it weren't for Dennis. Not only did he graciously take my wife for a ride which eased her concerns he has been a wealth of knowledge that I have had occasion to tap on many occasions. More than that though, I will miss his ever-present smile and unconditional friendship. He was a "constant" at CXO and will be missed by all that knew him. My prayers go out to his family and friends.

So sad for the family and friends. My condolences are sincerely with them. Sounds like some of the friends are on this forum. Special condolences to you especially. Inevitably I don't really know you, but there is a connection, and it extends from me to you.

I dread the day I'm in your place as a close friend, or the subject of a thread like this myself. Please... let's all fly safe.

Accident analysis

I, too, am a long-time formation flier. If useful lessons can be derived from this tragedy, we have a duty to learn them. On 8/15, Doug Reeves briefly reported the accident and said he had details from someone in the back of the flight who saw what happened. He said he'd report more after the NTSB prelim came out. I'm eager to learn more from that narrative.

For completeness, here's the NTSB preliminary report:

"NTSB Identification: CEN11LA573B
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Saturday, August 13, 2011 in Conroe, TX
Aircraft: STEVENS R P/MCCRIGHT D W VANS RV-6, registration: N16DD
Injuries: 1 Fatal,1 Minor.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On August 13, 2011, approximately 1130 central daylight time, N16DD, an experimental Douglas Knab Vans RV-8 airplane, collided with N16DD, an experimental Stevens/McCright Vans RV-6, approximately 15 miles north of Lone Star Executive Airport (CXO), Houston, Texas, while practicing a formation flight for an upcoming airshow. The airline transport pilot was fatally injured. The airplane was registered to and operated by the pilot. No flight plan was filed for the flight that departed CXO at 1100. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the flight conducted under 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91.

In a written statement, the pilot of N189DK said the purpose of the flight was to practice formation flying for an upcoming airshow. The flight team was comprised of seven pilots and their Vans RV aircraft. Prior to the flight, all seven pilots met for a 30 minute brief, during which time, the formations were discussed and positions/numbers were assigned to each pilot.

The pilot stated that all seven airplanes taxied out to the runway at 1100 and took off. He and the pilot of N16DD were the last two airplanes to depart. After reaching altitude, the lead pilot instructed the pilots to enter their assigned fingertip or V formations. The lead for the fingertip formation then instructed the pilot of N189DK to enter the slot position to make a diamond formation. The pilot said the lead pilot instructed the other pilots in the diamond formation to go trail. Since he was already in the trail position, he observed the other two airplanes, which included N16DD, move into their trail positions and they drifted behind him and out of his view. The pilot said, "After about 5 seconds I heard a loud bang and immediately the engine stopped dead. Fire shot into the cockpit through the fresh air vent and burned my left arm and stomach area. I saw the orange flames on my left arm. The flame went out almost as fast as it came." Another pilot asked him if he was okay, and the pilot responded that someone had hit him although he never saw anyone or anything hit him.

The pilot of N189DK still had control of his airplane and immediately began to look for a place to land. He circled down over a field and landed. During the forced landing, the pilot could see a pillar of smoke rising from a wooded area nearby.

N16DD impacted wooded terrain and a post-impact fire consumed a majority of the airplane.

Several Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspectors responded to both accident sites, which were approximately .3-miles apart. According to one of the inspectors, examination of N189DK revealed that the propellers blades were scarred at the tip and exhibited red paint transfer. There were also red paint transfer marks on the lower left side of the engine cowling along with impact marks. The right elevator had been impacted from the front and from below. The leading edge of the right wing exhibited impact marks, scrapes and red paint transfer about a quarter of the way down the wing from the fuselage. Both landing gear were spread, and the right gear exhibited broken and dark red paint transfers.

Weather at Lone Star Executive Airport at 1153, was reported as wind from 240 degrees at 4 knots, visibility 10 miles, few clouds at 4,900 feet, temperature 33 degrees C, dewpoint 22 degrees C, and a barometric pressure setting of 29.99 inches of HG."

Back