What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The War Rages on...The Final Conflict

CNEJR

Well Known Member
I haven't posted in a long time. With all I have had going on, i.e. new hangar build out, among many other things. It was just overwhelming. Today I passed my private pilot checkride and became a Certificated Pilot in the only airplane I have ever flown, my RV6, that I built. What a long road, five long years of building, wondering if I would ever make my goal.

Thanks to everyone, who encouraged me along this road. Special thanks to:

Rich Jankowski, Ben Anderson, Dennis McCright, Paul Dye, Steve Behrends, without your help it would have never been possible.

I have left my prison, I have layed the baggage down concerning my brother's crash & death in '95. What a great feeling.

See ya around the patch. Wars do end..............

Outstanding Chuck - I couldn't be happier for you! I noticed that you had gone silent - figured you were just out getting it done. We'll have to meet for lunch somewhere like Brenham, now that you have the freedom to go anywhere.

Paul

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Today I passed my private pilot checkride and became a Certificated Pilot in the only airplane I have ever flown, my RV6, that I built. What a long road, five long years of building, wondering if I would ever make my goal.

Great!! Congrats on both the building, and the license.

Enjoy it.:D

Great story! Congratulations on building your own plane, getting flight instruction in it, and then passing your checkride in it! What a story!

Sorry about your brother. Hope that you have many happy experiences in the future.

Congrats Buddy! You looked on edge this morning, but I am glad you got it all done!! Didn't want to distract you with my techno babble on the dish stuff, so I let it go... That can be done on a later date, lol....

Stephen

Gosh!

Chuck,
Way to go!
I got a little teary eyed reading your post.
What an accomplishment!

I'm always a little emotional after a sunset flight. It was beautiful here in Louisiana.

Mark

"In the deed the glory”

Congrats on the private!

Your brother would be proud.

Last edited:
I haven't posted in a long time. With all I have had going on, i.e. new hangar build out, among many other things. It was just overwhelming. Today I passed my private pilot checkride and became a Certificated Pilot in the only airplane I have ever flown, my RV6, that I built. What a long road, five long years of building, wondering if I would ever make my goal.

Thanks to everyone, who encouraged me along this road. Special thanks to:

Rich Jankowski, Ben Anderson, Dennis McCright, Paul Dye, Steve Behrends, without your help it would have never been possible.

I have left my prison, I have layed the baggage down concerning my brother's crash & death in '95. What a great feeling.

Congratulations, Chuck! You have accomplished what few other aviators have managed.....learning to fly in your own plane.

My thoughts are with you in a special way this evening.....my brother just called to inform me of the successful and enjoyable completion of his first solo xcountry........some things need to be shared between brothers.....so sorry there is an absence in your special day that you wish could be filled, but glad to see you are looking forward.

Congratulations, Chuck! I can't imagine the immense sense of accomplishment you must feel at this point. Stay safe and enjoy the ticket.

It seems impossible

What you have done I would have said is realistically impossible - what a great achievement! My brother died in 1995 also, after both legs were amputated to try to save his life. Brothers have a special bond that others can't understand but I often felt like there was a little guidance for me as I encountered new and difficult tasks while I built my RV-6A. There is no question in my mind that your brother would be very proud and happy to see what you have done - me I'm amazed. Carry on Mr. Aviator.

Bob Axsom

Yes, indeed.....

....I have left my prison, I have layed the baggage down concerning my brother's crash & death in '95. What a great feeling.

...spoken like a real man! We're created as emotional beings and a tear at a loss is so natural.

Congratulations on all that you've accomplished....the best is yet to come:)

Best,

Congrats

Congratulations Chuck. It's a major accomplishment in anyone's life, even those of us who didn't have a major obstacle to overcome. See you out at CXO.

Gerry White

Thanks.........

for all the well wishes. Just think I will decompress for a few days. I wanted to ad, "This is definitely not the way to learn how to fly". Better to get your license, then build an airplane. Just too tough.

Here's to you Chuck

Have a cold one on us! Lynell and I are very happy for you. Passing your check ride will be one experience you'll never ever forget. I took mine in Salina, KS 2 months after my dad passed away suddenly. Never got to fly with him like I planned to. Flew back in my little 150 to Ponca City, OK after getting my ticket. Special day indeed. It was his birthday. I know he was there with me in the right seat on the way home. Chuck, your brother is with you buddy.

Was 24475, now 24481.

Hi Chuck,

It's wonderful to hear that you recieved your license. The world is now your oyster.:)
I was curious how you were doing after your first flight. Glad to know things are going well.
Have you stopped long enough to paint it? If so, send us some pics.
BTW, I finally had my first ride in an RV this summer.:D Kind of ironic since I have been building on and off since '97. It was absolutely fantastic, from Kenosha down the lakeshore to Chicago at night. Too bad Miegs is gone.:mad:
My rebuild project is going slow but steady. Life just seems to get in the way.:eek:
Hope to see you at OSH someday.

Congrats again,
David, Cheryl, and Mirandi

Good Going!!

Chuck, Proud of you!!!.
When you get really comfortable in your plane are you going to land it on your ranch strip? Or is that already happening?
I bet you could get several of us to meet you there sometime.

Jay, will do that soon.....

not ready quite yet, just trying to decompress a little. I need to go out there and see what kind of shape the strip is in. I will probably go out there in the next month.

Air to Air of your plane

Hi Chuck,

Well done on getting your ticket, not many can say the got their licence in a plane they built!!
We have never met but I remember Rich showing me your plane while he was flying off the 40hrs. Here are a couple of photo's of your plane with Rich at the controls, I missed the one where it went inverted!!!!
jimsrv7116.jpg

jimsrv7117.jpg

jimsrv7118.jpg

jimsrv7119.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking plane! But i'm partial to bare metal, of course. :) Time to get the polisher out and add a stripe down the side with a vinyl decal. It'll make a world of difference.

Congrats on the new license and the newfound freedom!

Back