What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin portable 660

stevervb

I'm New Here
I have replaced a 496 with 660 cool look ...but does not pick up the sats in my rv8 panel mount position so ordered an antenna ...noted it includes magnet. so why does garmin do this in an airplane where your compass is near ?Has anyone tried to remove this magnet and do theses antennas solve the problem?

Can we assume that you have the GA-25MCX antenna?

I think the antenna was originally designed for automotive GPS units hence the magnet. It just so happens that Garmin uses the same connector on the aviation units.

I have my 660 in a panel dock also but I never tried it WITHOUT the external antenna but this antenna works great. Mine was mounted on my dash for a while then moved under the cowling out of sight. Still works great.

I never tried removing the magnet as it was not an issue.

Remove magnet

I have replaced a 496 with 660 cool look ...but does not pick up the sats in my rv8 panel mount position so ordered an antenna ...noted it includes magnet. so why does garmin do this in an airplane where your compass is near ?Has anyone tried to remove this magnet and do theses antennas solve the problem?

Thats what i found in another forum: The screws on the bottom hold the magnets in place. You could remove them but when doing so the antenna may no longer be waterproof

Markus

I did finally take mine apart to check and it's very simple to do. Remove the stickers on the bottom and take out the screws. There are 2 flat, rectangular magnets under the metal plate. Just pop them out and put it back together.

Easy-peasy!!

And besides, the antenna is inside on your glare shield, it doesn't need to be waterproof. :D

The remote antenna on the glare shield will solve any signal issues you may have had.

Last edited:
Back