What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery doesn't fit in D10

czechsix

Well Known Member
I have an original Dynon D10 (not the D10A) that I use as a standby instrument and recently decided to add the internal battery. I purchased the battery and upon installing it found that there's not enough room between the end of the battery and the cover. The battery itself fits completely inside but there's not enough room for the mating connector, and I can't see any way to tuck it out of the way, so it prevents the cover from fully closing. I've checked several times and I'm sure the battery won't go in any further (there's a standoff on the circuit board at the end of the battery compartment and it's making contact with that).

Short of cutting off the connector and soldering on the leads, does anyone have any suggestions? Dynon claimed it would fit the D10, so I'm wondering if my D10 is an anomaly or if others have had this problem in the past.

Thanks,

Mark Navratil
RV-8A N2D
Spring Hill, KS

Just to clarify, are you talking about a D10 EFIS and not a D10 EMS?

(The D10 EMS cannot accept a battery.)

Hi Mark,

I think you'll find that it'll work out just fine if you add a bit of muscle to it.. The battery is held in there by some soft insulation of sorts that until you really push on it will cause it to slightly stick out.

I've seen a lot of them (hundreds or thousands over the years) and they all exhibit the same issues...especially if it's "cold" and not warmed up nicely. Once you play with it a bit it usually works out just fine. Though yours could certainly have an issue, that is one part of that unit over the years that has been pretty much perfect (and like I said, we've changed or installed a whole pile of them).

Keep playing with it, and if you run into more difficulties let us know.

Cheers,
Stein

Stein,

I'll check it one more time when the hangar warms up above bitterly cold, but I'm pretty sure the battery pack was bottoming out on a nylon standoff that I can see attached to the PCB at the end of the battery compartment. There is some resistance inserting the battery due to the foam, but you can feel it hit the stop and it won't budge after that. I have a pretty early serial number of D10 (ordered it around the time they originally started shipping), so I'm wondering if there was a change along the way that the current staff at Dynon aren't aware of. If the standoff or the battery pack were 1/8" shorter it would just barely fit with the connector in place.

Thanks,

Mark Navratil
Spring Hill, KS
RV-8A N2D

I had the same thing happen to my D10A, I fiddled with it so much one of the wires broke off the connector. I had to remove the connector and solder the wires. The wires were not long enough to allow the connecter to fit along side to battery.

I had the same issue. I believe I had to break the locking tab off the connector in order to get the cover to close firmly. Then it just barely fit.

Chris

Back