What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Doing a Condition Inspection in South Texas...

jjhoneck

Well Known Member
...in June is STUPID.

I'm in Day 3, with one more to go, and -- even though we're on an island that is 15 degrees cooler than the mainland -- it's been tough. No surprises, but the heat and humidity have been brutal. And, of course, I'm missing out on some good after-dinner flying.

Worse, because I didn't build the plane, I just had to pay my old A&P mechanic $450 to sign my logbook in three places. Although he did show me how to time the mags, and did the compression check, that's a pile of dough to pay in return for not a heckuva lot of work.

So, here's my new plan. I'm moving the inspection to February, when it's normally in the 60s here. And I'm interested in finding an A&P mechanic from "Up North" (where it's really, really cold) who would be interested in coming to the island for a week, in exchange for free lodging at our aviation themed hotel, Amelia's Landing Hotel. I'll do all the work, and all you need to do is inspect my workmanship, and sign the books.

Barter. I love barter. :)

Any of you snowbirds interested? It will get you out of the worst of winter, and help me out!

Yep, we completed our build in July 7yrs ago. It only took us one condition inspection to know that it would be moving by one month each year until we landed in October. Now the problem is that there is always so much fun flying going on in October...

Late March thru early May is generally a pretty good time for annuals here in north central Texas. It's not too cold, full summer heat has not yet arrived, and the constant 25+ knot crosswinds this time of year are no fun to fly in anyway.

A&P up 'North'

How far up north do I need to be to qualify for the position?
I would love to do the swap.

Jay there are only two people in the state I would allow to work on my plane and you just got an offer from one of them. You would be crazy to pass it up.

How far up north do I need to be to qualify for the position?
I would love to do the swap.

Hi Randy! You ain't a Snowbird, exactly, but it sounds like you come with good references! lol

Pencil me in. As long as we can avoid Valentines Day, the rest of the month works for me.
--
Jay

penciled in

You are "in", or is it me that's "in"! I have a good friend who has lived in Port 'A' all his life that I haven't seen in years. I can look him up while I'm there too!

Summer in NE Georgia

Hot & Hoomid here also 93 here yesterday RH abt. 40% but felt much more like 95%. Putting the Mockingbird back together for cond. inspection (right wing, aileron, and flap) so I can start removing all inspection covers etc. February sounds like a good idea Jay;)

Back