What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LOE '10: Weatherford, OK - Oct 1/2/3

I like it!

RV Rendezvous

(Like the explorers & individualists of old, meet once a year at different locations, to trade stories, resupply (trade parts), partake of entertainment, meet up with old friends, etc.)

I hope this moniker sticks!:cool:

RV-R 2010
Weatherford, OK
KOJA

Now somebody needs to design a RV Rendezvous Logo!

Added benefit: We all get to learn how to spell "Rendezvous" :p

RV Rendezvous

(Like the explorers & individualists of old, meet once a year at different locations, to trade stories, resupply (trade parts), partake of entertainment, meet up with old friends, etc.)

I hope this moniker sticks!:cool:

RV-R 2010
Weatherford, OK
KOJA

Now somebody needs to design a RV Rendezvous Logo!

Added benefit: We all get to learn how to spell "Rendezvous" :p

The FIRST RV RendezVous was held in May 1998 at Amador-Westover Field in Jackson California. There have been a couple of other RendezVous' in SoCAL this past decade.

photo.jpg

photo%202.jpg

No one that I know of has a Trade Mark or Copy Write on it so it could be used.

Lots of Experimentals (LOE)
Just a random, useless thought!

Jerry, your entry is WAY better than the one I had in my head (lesbians on ecstacy). :rolleyes:

Seriously, I was thinking similar to you: Lots of Enjoyment, or Laid-back Open-air Enjoyment. Something like that.

Lots Of Experimentals is sereously a good one my friend...

br,
dr

Last edited:
RV-Rendezvous II

The FIRST RV RendezVous was held in May 1998 at Amador-Westover Field in Jackson California. There have been a couple of other RendezVous' in SoCAL this past decade.

Sorry, I didn't know the name had been used before. My thought process to come up with it was independent & therefore I still believe it is a good name for the event, if it is going to move around (not always in the Land of Enchantment).

So my vote still goes for:

RV-R 2010

Winning Prizes At LOE

What are you trying to do Russ??? Take home ALL the prizes this year??;)

No, Rick, I am trying to challange everybody else to buy more tickets for the charity raffle.

It wouldn't break my heart if none of my ticket numbers got drawn.

Russ

Looks like there is plenty of grass around.... Wonder if there is any problem pitching a tent..?? The wife might not come on this one... (No shopping malls)..??

Camping would be great...

... but I'm still having trouble with "Land of Enchantment" and "Oklahoma" being used in the same sentence! :D

I fueled up at Weatherford 2 days ago, they have made a large expansion of the Stafford air/space museum inside, it's really terrific! I could spend a full day looking at all the flight-spare space hardware they have on display.

Looking forward to this one...

New charity

I suggest finding a local charity at each new airport for obvious reasons. Not knowing the area, the only one I know is associated with the puppy rescue flight I made last weekend.

Western Animal Resources. I can provide an email contact if the fly-in organizers are interested.

It need not be thousands of dollars.

I suggest finding a local charity at each new airport for obvious reasons. Not knowing the area, the only one I know is associated with the puppy rescue flight I made last weekend.

I think the charities should be restricted to "human" ones. There are some people that don't think we need more animals. Just my $.02.

I think the charities should be restricted to "human" ones. There are some people that don't think we need more animals. Just my $.02.

I'll second that Mel, and add; one also conforming to the basic rules of this forum (religion & politics). I'm sure we'll be given sufficient time to do our charity research when it is announced to determine our personal contribution, no matter what it is.

I suggest finding a local charity at each new airport for obvious reasons. Not knowing the area, the only one I know is associated with the puppy rescue flight I made last weekend. quote=Ron Lee;450215]Western Animal Resources. I can provide an email contact if the fly-in organizers are interested.
It need not be thousands of dollars.

Thanks for your idea, Ron.

The money raised from the raffle prizes that I line up will be donated to the charity that I am currently researching (I have it narrowed down to one or two, they are local to Weatherford, and the overall theme will be helping children).

Again, thanks for the input and best,
Doug

Last edited:
animals?

I think the charities should be restricted to "human" ones. There are some people that don't think we need more animals. - Mel

I wonder if you meant to say pets?, or did you mean to include wildlife too?

Not to derail the pet discussion, is there a website for this year's LOE? Having never attended one (and not likely that we will -- it's a 5-hour flight), it would be nice to know what to expect.

Not to derail the pet discussion, is there a website for this year's LOE? Having never attended one (and not likely that we will -- it's a 5-hour flight), it would be nice to know what to expect.

There is a website, but it's static for now as I'm pushing the site this year in a dedicated entry in the VAF calendar HERE. It's in the daily rotation up on the front page and all links to prizes, updates, cars, hotels etc. will go through that link.

The simple side of this is I can make updates from any computer (not just the one at my house).

br,
dr

Ahhh ... thanks, DR. I knew I'd seen more specifics than just on this thread ...

Love Our Experimentals

How about , "Love Our Experimentals"?
I mentioned that to Doug at OSH this year but I don't think he heard me. Then a couple days (DAZE) later I ran into Gary and Carolyn Zilik and mentioned it to them. They approved IIRC.

RV-R

How about , "Love Our Experimentals"?
I mentioned that to Doug at OSH this year but I don't think he heard me. Then a couple days (DAZE) later I ran into Gary and Carolyn Zilik and mentioned it to them. They approved IIRC.

RV-R , RV-Rendezvous , RV-Roundup
LOE & OK do not mix..... :p

Planning to attend (LOE) in Oklahoma

We (3-4 airplanes) are traveling from Central MN to Weatherford, OK for the fly in. Anyone from MN/IA/WI area want to join us? Also, we are looking for sites to see/airports to stop at from MN to OK, or North TX area.

Boone, IA - do you folks still get together in the morning for coffee?

Car sharing

Booked the Fairfield Inn with frequent traveler points as suggested, good deal. Is there transportation to the field or do people share rental cars (or walk as it says it is only a couple of miles)?
First time for me and looking forward to it.

What to do at LOE

Hello, I am in Okla City.

Weatherford has an interesting place by the airport where you can drill holes in paper or aluminum. They are nice and have a good web site http://www.tinstarshootingrange.com/
I called Matt the owner and he said he would do $5 instead of $10 range fee for LOE visitors. You don't need a car, you can walk under the interstate to his place.

I personally like to point my big (18" dia) gun up at the sky and collect 50 to 100 million year old photons. The Oklahoma City astronomy club has a dark sky site, CRO, that is about 30 miles from KOJA. If visitors to LOE want, I will lead a car caravan out there. The sky is pretty nice, if it is clear, which it will probably be. There is a clubhouse with coffee and toilets, etc. It is wonderful for kids. It is completely free! Let me know if you find this interesting for Friday or Saturday nights.

John Masterman

The Oklahoma City astronomy club has a dark sky site, CRO, that is about 30 miles from KOJA. If visitors to LOE want, I will lead a car caravan out there. The sky is pretty nice, if it is clear, which it will probably be. There is a clubhouse with coffee and toilets, etc. It is wonderful for kids. It is completely free! Let me know if you find this interesting for Friday or Saturday nights.

Sounds interesting John, thanks for the offer; we may just take you up on it. I'd think that Friday night might be better since the BBQ and raffle is Saturday evening.

-Jim

I'm interested in the local knowledge of where to get ice cream at about 9-9:45pm Sat. night? Rosie isn't going to be there, but I figure maybe we can carry on the tradition and send him a "wish you were here" picture :).

I'm interested in the local knowledge of where to get ice cream at about 9-9:45pm Sat. night? Rosie isn't going to be there, but I figure maybe we can carry on the tradition and send him a "wish you were here" picture :).

Yeah, there's gotta be a Dairy Queen around there somewhere! :D

Ya'll have fun...Moose is out, too...

BBQ AND RAFFLE

Where and when is BBQ and raffle held ? If I buy a raffle ticket do I have to be at the drawing?

Ponc City, OK (PNC) fly-in breakfast

For your situational awareness, Ponca City, OK (KPNC) puts on a pretty good fly-in breakfast the first Saturday of every month--which happens to be the same weekend as LOE this year. It's about a 35-40 min flight (104 nm) to the north-east (http://www.navmonster.com/map/OJA-PNC-10).

Just another thing to do during LOE.

Fly safe!

-Jim

Actually Scott, there's a Braums right in the middle of town, NW corner of Main & Caddo.:)

Marshall Alexander

For your situational awareness, Ponca City, OK (KPNC) puts on a pretty good fly-in breakfast the first Saturday of every month--which happens to be the same weekend as LOE this year. It's about a 35-40 min flight (104 nm) to the north-east (http://www.navmonster.com/map/OJA-PNC-10).

Just another thing to do during LOE.

Fly safe!

-Jim

Been there a bunch of times as I live in OKC. Can't beat the price ($6.00) for all you can eat. Pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits & gravy, fruit, coffee, & juices.
You may want to try to be early, the line gets pretty long. The locals will drive out there for breakfast. If the weather is nice, we'll ride the Goldwings up occasionally.

Marshall Alexander

Been there a bunch of times as I live in OKC. Can't beat the price ($6.00) for all you can eat. Pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits & gravy, fruit, coffee, & juices.
You may want to try to be early, the line gets pretty long. The locals will drive out there for breakfast. If the weather is nice, we'll ride the Goldwings up occasionally.

Marshall Alexander
It's been a couple months since I have been there, but I believe the board there shows they have had months where they had more then 500 people eat with a couple hundred airplanes.
Arrival can remind one of Osh if you get there just at the wrong time. :D
It is a great breakfast.

Needs a ride at LOE

Hey all-

Gonna try to make the scene at LOE weather permitting. Will be coming in Sat AM probably around 10:30 AM. Planning to leave early Sun AM. Was wondering if anyone with a rental care would be able to provide some transportation to and from town. Of course I would contribute for the rental and gas. If you have some room in your rental please email me at [email protected].
Thanks a lot and look forward to seeing you all in Weatherford!

Peter K
9A-230 hrs

Assuming we make it back to Houston from California this weekend, I am hoping to turn around for a trip to LOE - might just make one day, but hey, it's a one-hop from Houston each way! I'll probably bring a tent and try the camping thing - less hassle than rental cars and hotels....;)

Paul

Hey all-

Gonna try to make the scene at LOE weather permitting. Will be coming in Sat AM probably around 10:30 AM. Planning to leave early Sun AM. Was wondering if anyone with a rental care would be able to provide some transportation to and from town. Of course I would contribute for the rental and gas. If you have some room in your rental please email me at [email protected].
Thanks a lot and look forward to seeing you all in Weatherford!

Peter K
9A-230 hrs
I will be flying the 15 minute flight over in my new 9A. My wife will be driving the 1:15 hour drive in our car Friday after work. I think we have a room in the Holliday Inn Express so if anyone needs a ride anywhere we can carry about 3 people in the back seat.

John, we may like to visit the stars with you also.

Rides to-from airport.

I will be there and will have a car available to shuttle people to-from the airport if need be. We will be staying at the Best Western in town if anybody else is going there. Not riding in a RV to LOE, having free plane tickets helps out alot!! Not to mention the soon to be Mrs. will be there to enjoy it too! ;)

Car sharing

I am interested in car sharing and will be happy to chip in for the operating costs. Will be arriving Friday and leaving Sunday staying at the Fairfield Inn. Also planning the Ponca City breakfast but as noted it gets to be very busy so go early. Never been to LOE before but looking forward to seeing lots of RV's and getting some ideas on painting.

Not attractive to my spouse (or me)

For us, the scenery we enjoyed while crossing west Texas was half the fun.

We'll pass this year.

Good luck to all,
JP

Ponca City Breakfast

I live in Stillwater, Ok which is about 40 miles south of Ponca City and try to make it for breakfast as many times as I can. I will be at LOE for the first time in my completed RV-7, really looking forward to meeting you guys that have been so much help in my build proccess.

For those of you that are wanting to fly to Ponca City for the $6.00 breakfast I might seggest that you go very early like leave at Dawn. They feed 400 to 600 people on the first Sat of the month. Usually about 50 to 100 airplanes fly in, the rest drive in to eat and look at aircraft. This is sponsered by the Ponca City EAA club and has been a hugh success for many years.

I could be talked into leading the pack to do this!!!
See you guys soon.
Don Short

I can't wait

Only 3 more days of the daily grind and I'll be headed for Weatherford, OK.

I thought I would be able to fly down Saturday for an hour or so then pick up two lab puppies for a rescue (PnP) flight. Turns out another pilot is getting those dogs so I probably won't make it this year.

Scenery? West Texas? Oklahoma has just about the same nothingness!
I have never lived in Texas (West or otherwise), but am nearby. I have lived in Oklahoma. I really don't consider West Texas and Oklahoma that similar. These are a few of my West Texas photos:

DSC00380.jpg

DSC01038.jpg

DSC01119.jpg

DSC01390.jpg

DSC03932.jpg

IMG_4649.jpg

IMG_4679.jpg

DSC04351.jpg

DSC04366.jpg

DSC05699.jpg

Have a good time fellers... Sharon & I won't make it this time.. Going to Ca. instead... Sheldon

Oklahoma born and raised but. . .

Hey guys, I am Oklahoma born and raised. I have however, lived in quite a variety of other parts of this country through out my life (Chicago, Florida, LA, Minneapolis). I have seen quite a bit of our country by air and by ground. I do not deny that the scenery in Oklahoma does not stand up to the Rocky Mountains, the Grand Canyon, The Great Lakes, the coastal regions of the east or west coast, or even the bad lands of the Dakotas. What I do know is Oklahoma is a diverse state when it comes to terrain. This state has quite a variety of diversity in that respect. Depending on where you are flying in from you will see mountains, desert terrain, farm land, rivers, lakes. You will see pretty much anything you may see elsewhere. Perhaps not in such a grandiose fashion as elsewhere but there none the less.

Now having said that I have to say I really don't see why any of that would keep someone from attending a fly-in like this. I know the flight to LOE is part of the appeal but if we are all to be honest with ourselves we have to at least acknowledge that a big part of this fly-in, in fact any fly-in, is the camaraderie of spending time with like minded individuals. Come on, really, if you examine Oshkosh, WI, is there really a whole lot in that city of great interest if AirVenture were not held there?

Weatherford is not ever going to be some tourist trap of a destination but does it really have to be to have fun flying there?

Well, I just rearranged my plans so I can visit LOE on Saturday and leave Sunday morning to Atlanta. Being totally new and first time visiting, any thing special that I should watch for? Do they close the airspace or airport at any time? What is the best time to arrive and leave?

Bring lawn chair and sunscreen. No closed airspace or airshow. Just lots of sitting around in small groups and shooting the bull amongst around a hundred RVs. Arrive/leave anytime you feel. It's a no-pressure, simple pleasures event (Larry Pardue catchphrase).

br,
dr

Well, I just rearranged my plans so I can visit LOE on Saturday and leave Sunday morning to Atlanta. Being totally new and first time visiting, any thing special that I should watch for? Do they close the airspace or airport at any time? What is the best time to arrive and leave?

Back