What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2017 Total Solar Eclipse

GalinHdz

Well Known Member
There will be a total solar eclipse visible over a huge area of the US on August 21, 2017. I want to see it so I am going to fly to Moncks Corner (KMKS) which is just North of Charleston S.C. to watch it from the airport ramp. Maybe we can do a get-together to see it. ;)

TSE2017_SouthCarolina

Longest Duration KHVC

o0ULCR_9nKKeebY1KZxxgQggYFpnL4GFxx0ePjXJu7rb_ne9g-_FRx3UI1RAIr3y2fNuXUfOtSwxpU_OY22GOXqVtiuozwWEWR-aChYrENWTQxuPucWLzVld3YOLNnvxTusPu4hjNKqkQGOtO3xBP80VlUAK3hX1we5zNK_K1p7xR24LLaoYuUc6O1Hvud8-hVCAdtHCd9zffxSpdHW9L6J_9EWfmTVKPv8pIbgK0R44Q7nvPoqlmkl3985lC2JtkAb3HAUAoUFX6jVY5C7PmQyZnr_NL-bAy4vIHz-6O5l-c0Rb0MlcUabvklMEI69nd62Tj-f3r6-AL36Uot4XKk5gv8r7r4PGhbJck_LHgsRLxjcn8UjIk74QTLjqX4ESrAnHb1odMmMEuDCNFr3gmcuvqxbB_Lx74weQM6UEsn81W6f0T8zlm7x0p15dXp9NLB70rpDO0ltJicA8NBvNdLeMenP-9kruLNFVIy2JHECZtYzq3aNw2PWqzRJOHP3rzkUSKHwJlrjIfi_BhJLSrHRdGlHHsoB3WkLJgb6Q_GXTdtBISkpcJvACQo_W4JCW1200kQaB-9N9mHWMGTrn7hGJTuve6WsUlpbFRi4jjgqBFy7zKw=s709-no

Hopkinsville, Kentucky

Duration of totality is 2 minutes, 41.2 seconds

Totality begins at 1:24 p.m. CDT

The civic boosters of Hopkinsville cite their fair city as the best spot in the nation for the eclipse. While Hopkinsville is a great location, you can travel for hundreds of miles east and west along the eclipse centerline and receive within 1 or 2 seconds of maximum eclipse duration. But if you would like to join a festive crowd, Hopkinsville will certainly be a great location to enjoy the eclipse. More at http://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/kentucky/

We're planning a quick jaunt up to a park just S of St. Louis for the viewing with friends.

Ditto:

I think this is something that would be nice to take a trip out with the RV and see. Bobby has a good sight in where he lives, but it looks to me to be southern Illinois that would be the prime sight to pick out an airport or gathering spot. We will mark this one down to keep track of, thanks guys.
Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Total Solar Eclipse 1970

I remember we had a total solar eclipse on Mar. 7, 1970 while stationed in Va Bch, VA. Weirdest deal ever since it started getting dark at 1100 or so and then all the street lights turned on, the temp felt like it dropped by 5 degrees, and all the dogs in the neighborhood freaked out and started howling! :)

Clear skies

I think the question this far in advance may be "Which part of the path is most likely to be cloud-free in late August?"

A quick check of Moncks Corner showed 16 days of Thunderstorms, 5 days of Rain and 5 days of Scattered/Partly Cloudy for August of 2016. Only three days were labeled as Clear.

Weather changes of course, but I'm thinking the best odds for clear skies may be in the desert areas of Oregon. Planning this far ahead needs to be based on averages and past history...:)

DO IT NOW

I think that you will find that many rooms and campgrounds are already booked full, by tour operators and individuals. In OR I did find a Days Inn that had a room - for $950!! Be prepared to pay top dollar.
Call the airport and ask about reserving a tie down. Many airports will be at capacity. Same for rental cars.

I think this is something that would be nice to take a trip out with the RV and see. Bobby has a good sight in where he lives, but it looks to me to be southern Illinois that would be the prime sight to pick out an airport or gathering spot. We will mark this one down to keep track of, thanks guys.
Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Carbondale, IL only had 2 clear days in Aug. 2016, but I would guess the 9 days labeled as Fog would have clear skies by eclipse time.

I think that you will find that many rooms and campgrounds are already booked full, by tour operators and individuals. In OR I did find a Days Inn that had a room - for $950!! Be prepared to pay top dollar.
Call the airport and ask about reserving a tie down. Many airports will be at capacity. Same for rental cars.

Ha! House was rented last year, and rental car already reserved for Corvallis, WA!

Can't wait!

How 'bout Jackson, WY and Grand Teton. 2:22 totality at 1135. Two "sunrise" fly fishing opportunities in one day, and some of the coolest scenery anywhere. Who's in? :D

Cheers,
Bob

How 'bout Jackson, WY and Grand Teton. 2:22 totality at 1135. Two "sunrise" fly fishing opportunities in one day, and some of the coolest scenery anywhere. Who's in? :D

Cheers,
Bob

In even a normal August, Jackson Hole is crowded and expensive. For the eclipse it will be a zoo.

Recently bought an 8" Celestron SCT (wanted one since I was a kid).

I don't think it will fit in the RV but fortunately is just a short drive to get over to the center of totality.

Hmm.. Maybe uninvited guests will invade Repucci's joint. :D

Last edited:
Fly your RV to KOGB to see the eclipse (near SC State :) )

There will be a total solar eclipse visible over a huge area of the US on August 21, 2017. I want to see it so I am going to fly to Moncks Corner (KMKS) which is just North of Charleston S.C. to watch it from the airport ramp. Maybe we can do a get-together to see it. ;)

TSE2017_SouthCarolina

Though not announced yet, I plan for us at SC State University to do something big for this. (One of our professors just **might** be coordinating telescopes around the state.)

If you plan to fly your RV into Orangeburg (KOGB) for the eclipse, please let me know.

James

An old post but the date is soon approaching.

Us in the Denver area are planning to fly to Alliance, NE KAIA on the the morning of the 21st.

Heartland Aviation 303-762-5311 is taking reservations so they can plan on enough food for the event. N339A and N99PZ are reservations 81 and 82.

Should be a good time so come and join us.

I am in for airborne viewing :)

Vlad, I like your option.

Question is how to approach it?

1. Across it, would be a blink.
2. Fly a heading into it? You can watch it coming.
3. Fly a heading away from it? Let it consume you from behind?

I'm undecided with 2 or 3. Both have my favor.
I'll have to have others chime in for their thoughts.

The Sunriver airport in Bend OR (S21) is taking parking reservations.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

On the West coast Madras Oregon seems to be the good spot. Pretty good chance of clear skies and smack dab in the path of totality.

https://www.bergair.com/solareclipse

Some RV buddies and I have already reserved fly in camp spots. They are expecting over 100,000 in the area (small towns) so it'll be a great weekend to have an airplane!

Book now! The 28 hotels in the greater area have all been booked for months and the camping is filling up.

Last edited:
We have a few acres alongside a grass strip in Lenoir City, TN:

33080293065_c773dfd93c_z.jpg

Big T Airport - 80TN.

I'll have to check with the owner of the airport about flying in, but we have room for camping if anyone is interested and wants to drive in.

I have a spot reserved in Redmond, which is right on the edge of totality so I can expect a whopping 39 seconds of darkness.

I'll be returning to the LA area from Spokane and I'm thinking maybe I'm better off with aerial viewing. After all isn't that bubble canopy custom made for this? Timing is a little tricky given. . .well given that I'm bad at math, but I'm thinking if I plan a West-East route right down the center of the "zone of darkness", throttle back to 90 knots and 10 degrees, and engage the autopilot it should all be good.

That way I'm not stuck on the ground waiting for a zillion airplanes to take off while afternoon thunderstorms build over the mountains.

Of course it's a pretty narrow band and a couple hundred other guys might have the same idea, so western Oregon could look like the Ripon transition. Not sure see and avoid works all that well with welding goggles on.

Maybe the rest of you ought to stay home.

BTW people in Central Oregon are going "crazy capitalist" with this event. I contacted a touring company that was sponsoring an overnight camping trip out of Bend. They were asking $400 apiece for one night, and you had to bring your own tent and sleeping bag!

John Allen
RV6A

FWIW: Here is a link to an Interactive 2017 Eclipse Map so you can see what percentage of the eclipse will be over any part of the world. You can zoom in and tap your particular location for your information. It is a great planning tool.

:cool:

I'm planning an airborne observation as well, departure from Texas early in the morning, flying up to Fayetteville AR to pick up a buddy, and then north and west to wherever the cloud cover offers the best view. Going to put on the oxygen and get way up there for minimal traffic and better viewing.

I'm planning an airborne observation as well, departure from Texas early in the morning, flying up to Fayetteville AR to pick up a buddy, and then north and west to wherever the cloud cover offers the best view. Going to put on the oxygen and get way up there for minimal traffic and better viewing.

+1 but leaving the day before to the best wx forecast area and will spend the night about 100nm from the path.

In the air for me..

We live close to the path, so WX permitting( Typical T storm season), I will be heading into the center of the path , hopefully around the 10K altitude mark. My BIB will be camera equipped and hope to get some good images..I have already seen one from the ground, so airborne is a must!

Back