What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

boots for flap linkage

dan carley

Well Known Member
has any one found a small rubber boot (like a car shifter boot) that you can put on the floor where the flap linkage goes through. just to cover the hole in the floor board.

thanks
dan carley
RV4
N14FT

has any one found a small rubber boot (like a car shifter boot) that you can put on the floor where the flap linkage goes through. just to cover the hole in the floor board.

thanks
dan carley
RV4
N14FT

I haven't tried, but I've thought about it. These are certainly cheap enough to experiment with.

These might also work.

Last edited:
I am glad you have opened this thread because the flap mechanism by the paxX is bothering me.

My concern is that an inexperienced pax will get something caught up in the mechanism, or dropped part way through the floor. A small camera under the weldement would be no fun!

When you get your sewing needle out Deven are you planning on just covering the pushrod, or the steel part as well?

What do other -4 do?

boot for flaps

i've been looking around with no luck so far. you'll think i'm nuts but how about a top from a baby bottle. they must make them in large sizes for farm animals.the idea for boots is not only for someone dropping something down there also drafts.

dan carley
RV4
N14ft

(snip) you'll think i'm nuts but how about a top from a baby bottle. they must make them in large sizes for farm animals.the idea for boots is not only for someone dropping something down there also drafts.

dan carley
RV4
N14ft

I don't think you're crazy at all. The baby bottle had occurred to me last night, but the idea of veterinary ones hadn't.

I need to measure exactly how far the flap rods move...

Take a look at

This thread has a lot of good info.

Post 12 has a link to a "how to", post 16 shows a good shot of the boot in place.

Good luck.

flap boots

i tried looking for large bottles no luck, any idea's where to look. or on farm vehicles small boots for shifters?

danny
RV4
N14ft

Flap pushrod seal idea from Vince Frazier's rocket site

I'm thinking of trying this during my annual this week. Looks like an easy solution to seal the flap rods more effectively. Ever check out Vince's site? He has some great ideas and the plane loooks cool as well.

http://www.vincesrocket.com/finishing.htm

look about half way down under flap rod seals

Jeff - 7A - 16G - 500hrs

Bent for Leather...

I cut two round Leather patches with a slit cut in the middle and contact cemented to the floor. Worked great in my -4 and now in my HR2.

Smokey
HR2

"I tried looking for large bottles no luck, any idea's where to look. or on farm vehicles small boots for shifters?"

Do you have a Farm and Fleet or Fleet Farm near you? I know that they carry these kinds of nipples there. I believe they also have some of the short shifter boots there as well.

Vince Frazier's Answer

Hers is Vince Frazier's answer on his HRII...

Here is a nifty flap pushrod gap seal that is easily made from the foam of a foam paintbrush. It really does a nice job. The paintbrush foam is soft, yet tough, and conforms nicely around the flap pushrod. The U-shaped piece of aluminum on the bottom was intentionally left rough, not deburred, and drilled full of rough holes so it would grip the foam tightly. That foam is just the ticket.

In the lower right corner you can see a hole which I melted through the foam with a soldering iron. When you install the floorboard, a screw goes through that hole. The foam scrunches down nearly flat, as you can see, and does not cause any fitting problems even though it is between the floorboard and angle on the fuselage.

flap20pushrod20gap20seawp5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Flap rod through the fuselage

I'm with Smokey on this, I think you can cut a piece of inner tube 3" round, and glue it to the inside of the fuselage with a small hole and stretch it over the flap rod. A little grease wouldn't hurt on the rod. The rubber would allow the rod to move a little fore and aft as it moves up and down and keep a tight seal.

IMHO

Randy

Last edited:
flap boots

well after looking around went with a inner tube glued to the floor with a small hole. works good

dan carley
RV4
N14FT

Back