- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-04-2018, 08:19 AM

Thumbs up Thanks John

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpowell13 View Post
Thanks Carl. I found that issue among my old RVators.

Ron, I was lucky enough to find Greg Koontz for some aerobatic instruction last year. He asked me what my goals were to which I responded, "To be able to roll and loop my plane without killing myself". To that end we did 4 hours of flying and lots of ground instruction. The first three hours of air work were in his beautiful Decathlon and the last hour was in my 6A. We did a lot of spin recovery training in the Decathlon.

The toughest thing for me was to make myself pull enough G's in the loops. He likes about 3.2, and I would usually max out at about 2.8 G's. Neither plane had trouble completing the loop at 2.8 G's, but I'm working to get the feel of 3+ G's and over-coming my over-cautious tendency with respect to pulling G's to make better loops. I should say, that it took a couple of lessons to start getting over feeling yucky. But, it gets better if you persist.

After doing a few loops in my plane, he thought that my best loops happened when I pulled 3.2 G's and held the stick in the same position until I got over the top. He emphasized that when you're inverted at the top and if you get close to a stall that you need to push the stick forward a little. Makes sense when you think about it, but seemed counter-intuitive to me at the time.

I really enjoyed Greg's two day course at his private strip in Ashville, AL and learned a lot. He is a very knowledgeable airshow pilot, and the setup at Sky Country Lodge is very conducive to learning.

Looking forward to studying and applying Van's advice now that Fall weather is kicking in.

John
Thanks John.
160 HP O320, CS Hartzell Prop
2018 Dues Paid
Old 10-04-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbmaster View Post
...I ave not performed a single spin in either of the two aircraft I ave owned. Primarily because the Cessna 150 was not spin certified and I'm unclear as to the rules regarding spins in RV's.
The only rules regarding spins in RVs are whatever your ops limits state. Unless you fly an RV-10, a DAR won't limit spins in an RV. Otherwise, you select Phase I test maneuvers as you see fit, common sense and stated Vans limitations considered. There is no issue with spinning the 'aerobatic' RV models. Cessna 150's are legal to spin if the simple rudder stop AD is c/w. C-150's spin great.