What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best RV/Aviation iPhone Apps.

msturgis

Well Known Member
Ok, so after holding out as long as I could, I finally got an Iphone 3GS.

I was wondering what apps you guys find worth while to use while building/flying?

Check out Brad (VAF Bubba) Oliver's site at:

http://www.aviatorapps.com/index.php

Looks like it has 5 pages of aviation related apps. Pretty comprehensive list, to say the least. Brad's obviously done a lot of work on this! (Nice job!)

The apps I've been tinkering with so far are:
Aeroweather (nice for METARs and TAFs)
Skycharts (nice sectional and A/P charts, GPS tracker, + more...and written by a VAF'er)
Tracklog (GPS tracker with remote tracking possibilities...testing that a bit)
PilotWiz (conversions and calculators + more)
Air Check (e-checklists...uploaded them, but still using hard copy...looks like a nice app though)

Have fun with the new toy...er, tool!! :)

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Ones I use are
ForeFlight Charts - developed with RVer Dave Parsons of Runwayfinder.com
AOPA Airports
PilotWiz
AeroWeather - fast simple to get METAR and TAF
Weathermeister - not an app but love it. I do not even use the mobile as the full display loads fast and work good on the iPhone. Just create a mobile briefing layout
The Weather Channel - has good annimated radar
Mariner Calc - spreadsheet compatable with Excel and easily down loaded to PC. Use for fuel tracking and log booking.
Pilot FAR and PilotAIM - Nice to have handy but do not need (I mean use) them very often. (wife gave me a iTunes gift card for Christams and needed to pick something)
Air Sharing - Excellent app to put word, pdf, excel and other documents on yout iPhone. I have my POH, Weight and Blance, equipment list, part numbers, plus all the electronic manuals (pdf) for my gps, radio, engine monitor, IO-360 manual. Great to have a lot of these in your pocket when at the airport.

I like CoPilot, a flight planning app. It was originally developed for the Palm PDAs, and the developer came out with an iPhone/iPod Touch version when they came on the scene. The iPhone version doesn't yet have all the functionality that the Palm version does, but the developer is slowly adding the missing bits. But, all the basic functionality is there now.

My work is converting everyone with company cellphones to Iphones so this will be a great thread for me next month!

FYI, we just launched the new "iPhone Edition" of Weathermeister this evening. Check it out at http://weathermeister.com on your iPhone (or iTouch).

iphone-edition.png

Hope you like it! Send comments or bug reports to [email protected].

Hey Dan - looks nice very fast!

I used to use the site on the old Blackberry, and when I got the iPhone and was able to see the full site with graphics and everything, I was over-joyed! I will probably still use the "full site" version when I am seriously going to brief, but if I am sitting in a meeting wondering if it is flyable outside, the iPhone version looks to be pretty handy...

Paul

Dan
That is a nice upgrade from the previous mobile version. Good Work. I also use the Co-pilot app and find it useful. A free site, Areo weather, is handy as you can enter the airports you are interested in and they are always there ready to be refreshed.
More apps are showing up all the time, This is a fun tool.

Thanks!

Check out Brad (VAF Bubba) Oliver's site at:

http://www.aviatorapps.com/index.php

Looks like it has 5 pages of aviation related apps. Pretty comprehensive list, to say the least. Brad's obviously done a lot of work on this! (Nice job!)
Thanks Bob, I appreciate your comments and I hope you find the list useful. I've got another batch updates going in this week, and I am currently fast at work on allowing users to sort the list by app category (e.g. flight planning, weather, etc.).

In addition, I've been giving codes away for FREE apps on the site's new feed... http://news.aviatorapps.com. In fact, I'll be posting a "Name that Plane" contest on the feed on Friday, where you will have a chance to win one of three free copies of SkyCharts (link to iTunes) which was developed by one of our VAF comrades, glider.

I've got more free apps to give away, so my suggestion would be to subscribe to the news feed through RSS or email.

Last edited:
Brad,

Signed up for your e-mail updates tonight. Haven't yet joined the world of RSS feeds...might have to join the 21st century and figure that out sometime! :rolleyes:

Nothing like the lure of free stuff to get a pilot to join up! (Works even better than a twinky or a chocolate bar on the pedestal to get a flight attendant to come up and talk to us!) :D

Looking forward to seeing the updates and tinkering with more apps! Thanks!

Cheers,
Bob

I thought I would revive this old thread. Any updates on what's new, good, and bad for flight planning/weather? I'm interested in Canadian data as well as US data, and some of the apps don't seem to have that.

I have been to Brad's site (which is a great clearinghouse and listing), but am looking for user input on the apps.

Thanks for the input.

greg

Flightscale, a nice graphical weight and balance app.

GPS2tas, to convert a triangle course GPS speed data set to wind and true airspeed.

Dave

Back