What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Report - 40 Hrs are Behind Me....

PlaneBuilderBill

Well Known Member
Last Friday my tach showed 40.3 hrs!!! My "required official" 40 hr Test Period is now completed....woooo hoooo!!!

During this time I have made 70 landings (all but 2 were on pavement). I prefer 3-Point so I've zeroed-in on perfecting them. Take offs are one of the shortest duration things I've done so far....apply throttle, forward pressure on the stick and I'm airborn....I'm not sure of the amount of runway required, but it just can't be that much (pavement or grass).

My 4 has a Penn Yan built ECI Lyc clone. 0-360 with Hartzell cs prop, Lightspeed Plasma II ignition, Skytec 12N starter and Plane Power 60 amp alternator.
The engine has done well during the break in period. I started with standard single weight mineral oil for the first 30 hours and then switched to 15W-50 Aeroshell. My OT has stabilized at approximately 187 degrees F. I'm still messing with getting all 4 CHTs close to even, but I'm close. At higher constant break-in RPMs I'm burning approx. 9 gals/hr.

I have done spins (no more than 1 turn left & right), aileron rolls (L & R), loops, split S and other positive maneuvers. All are easy with little effort.

My longest flight duration was 2.5 hours (shortest .5), and the leather covered confor foam seat stayed comfortable even for my 225 lbs. My average flight was 1.2 hrs.

As you know I added a Harmon Turtledeck and Todd's custom canopy to complete the look.

I have had a few issues with my avionics....radio transmission problems finally fixed. I switched out a digital altimeter back to a standard "steam" gage (a story in it's own right). Did I tell you I love the TruTrac ADI w/ HSI and the Flight Data Systems Chrono/"G" meter and my Garmin 296! I also like the electric flaps with fixed stops and electric elevator trim.

Just don't think there's anything negative about the plane....it's fast, easy to fly, easy to land and it looks cool....It's also paid for.

Painting has to wait a bit...I'm unemployeed so I'm hanging on to any extra $$. It's lighter upainted anyway....

Bill

Bill,

I know you have "Piddleites" that can't leave good enough alone problem most of us home builders have. So,,,, what will you do next?
Real cool plane. Congratulations on your 40.
'

Piddleites....

Thanks for the compliment Jay, I consider that "HI PRAISE"...

Yes, I guess I do have "piddleites".
Since most of the painters charge way too much for finishing fiberglass, I'm slowly finishing each piece. All the small holes are being filled and sanded. I've found a couple of areas I've strengthened. As soon as the filling and sanding is done I'll shoot a coat of 2-part epoxy primer on that the painters agree with....
I've also slowly started adding much needed storage. Built a nice glove type box that velcro mounts on top of the forward center section (it's felt lined to be quiet). Then I've added two vinyl flat storage pouches (one on the back of each seat. I've also added multiple "D" ring tie-downs in the baggage area.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

NEXT PLANE???? There's a picture of the "Show Planes" 8 hanging on my hangar wall....just love that Rocket type turtledeck.
I had the Harmon Rocket plans once, just may happen again now that I really see the size and power that can be had....

There you have it, I guess I'll just Piddle around as usual....stay tuned.

Congrats Bill. If you get bored in TX, there is another FB RV-4 in CA that needs some help :D

BTW, I may have to barrow that glove box idea.

Congrats Bill!

Somehow missed this good news until now! Way to go, 40+ hours. A little curious why you got a 40 hour Phase 1 and not a 25 but hey, flying is flying! I'll be a little delayed since instead of my DAR check I ended up having to take my engine off and send back to the overhaulers for a little work, but hopefully by the end of the month.

I'll spend the time fixing little things I was overlooking in the haste to meet my self imposed DAR timeline. But soon I'll be looking for you in the horizon to the South!

Congrats again Bill!

Thanks and more....

JJ,

Thanks again. 40 hr P1 due to the Exp engine and Exp prop.
Did you get my earlier private email? Call me so we can talk.

817-705-6300

Bill

Back