What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SV-GPS-250

edward7048

Well Known Member
I replaced my SV-GPS-250 with dynon's new SV-GPS-2020 receiver if anyone is interested in my old receiver let me know.

The 2020 does not come ready to plug and play and it does not come with new end pins and a connector. Also there are no Van's instructions. By Dynon instructions they assume that you will cut and splice the existing wires. I did a total replacement for mine with new connector and pins. I don't like too many unnecessary wire connections.

Also note that Dynon says you can keep your old GPS installed as a backup. That will not work with the RV-12 since Vans uses that port for the control unit. As expected the new 2020 GPS is more accurate and has a faster lock and refresh. Skyview setup with it is works great too.

Last edited:
The 2020 does not come ready to plug and play and it does not come with new end pins and a connector. Also there are no Van's instructions. By Dynon instructions they assume that you will cut and splice the existing wires. I did a total replacement for mine with new connector and pins. I don't like too many unnecessary wire connections.

Also note that Dynon says you can keep your old GPS installed as a backup. That will not work with the RV-12 since Vans uses that port for the control unit. As expected the new 2020 GPS is more accurate and has a faster lock and refresh. Skyview setup with it is works great too.

Thank you for the insight Scott. I agree with new/no splice approach. Are there any other considerations? I'm not the builder of my ELSA, I have the KAI, and good natured folks like you for information. When building the harness are shielding, twisted wires, type of wire, grounding etc unique? And for a fee would Dynon provide a finished 2020 harness if requested?
Thanks, Doug in IL

I recently installed my GPS 2020. If you buy the GPS 2020 from Van's I know that it comes with the D-sub pins already crimped on the wires. Included in the box with the GPS will be a small plastic bag with the 9 position D-sub.
Van's instructions for installing the GPS 2020 are Section 42D-08.
i-FxRDxwq-L.png

Sorry Tony your experience was different than mine. I ordered my 2020 GPS along with the entire 2nd right side Skyview touch install kit from Vans in August 2016 and it came with nothing. I called Vans and they said use the standard plans and splice the wires. I was disappointed since I spend over $5000 on that order and I could have bought the 2020 unit for less from other avionics providers. I'm sure the avionics providers would have thrown in the pins and connector too.

Perhaps they learned from my call and expressed disappointment and decided to include the necessary parts. Do note that to have the correct length of wire I had to cut about 2' off so unless they shortened the connected wires before they installed pins, you would still have to crimp on new pins.

Last edited:
Scott, Yes, many changes have occurred with the airplane equipment and plans. Not surprised that your experience was different. The guys building now are lucky, they have the advantage of all those improvements without having to go back in and upgrade.

As a follow up, Vans does currently sell the SV-GPS-2020 with the correct length wires, pre-terminated, with a D9 kit so it is virtually plug and play. The box should clearly say "SV-GPS-2020 RV12" on it.

i hate to break thread but....

I just purchased a low power 262 Dynon transponder(this will hook to my Classic touch 10 inch screen) as for the most part here in Canada i am unlikely to need ADS B for some time.

But this 202O you speak of could it be added to the 262 transponder and allow for full ADS B out??

thanks for any comment

With any GPS connected to SkyView, the transponder is ADS-B OUT.

The SV-GPS-2020 is unique to the USA in meeting the requirements of FAR 91.227, which require a specific level of integrity and design assurance.

Given that Canada has no ADS-B mandate, there isn't a simple answer for what "Full ADS-B OUT" is in Canada. If you have Dynon's Transponder hooked to SkyView, you are transmitting ADS-B OUT, but the various quality metrics are lower than they would be a with a more expensive GPS.

Note that the 262 Transponder is not legal for 2020 compliance in the USA.

Last edited:
With dual screens, you would need to splice the wires so both screens are plugged into the GPS-2020 so the connector would have had to come off anyway or somehow spliced into both screens.

With dual screens, you would need to splice the wires so both screens are plugged into the GPS-2020 so the connector would have had to come off anyway or somehow spliced into both screens.
I have the 2020 and 250 GPS hooked up to both screens in my 12.

Gps difference in the cockpit

What does the 2020 compliant gps give you in the cockpit that is different than the base line gps?

Nothing is different in the cockpit. The only difference is being legal in 91.225 airspaces after 2020.

Back