What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SkyRadar ads-b

alexw

Has anyone connected a Skyradar-DX to a 430W?

I have an older Sport WS. GRT claims that it will work with their unit through a serial port. I would also like traffic displayed on the 430W like Mods S is currently.

I don't have a clue if that is doable, but it seems like generally, Garmin does not "listen" to other manufacturers boxes. They only "talk" to others. Kind of like my first wife.:D

I have my Skyradar D2 ADS-B info displayed on my Hxr and continue to get the old TIS-A traffic from the 330 on my 430W screen. Occasionally I notice that one of the two systems may show traffic that is not displayed on the other.

I have an older Sport WS. GRT claims that it will work with their unit through a serial port. I would also like traffic displayed on the 430W like Mods S is currently.

Are you sure? I have the Skyradar D2 not DX but its output is USB, not RS232. No, the 430 doesn't see it, as Dave said, Garmin propriatary software won't play with others.

I just looked at the GRT web site. It says both Skyradars use USB, and older Sport WS models do not support ADSB over USB. You need an RS232 ADSB, or upgrade to a Sport SX with USB extender.

A slight correct may be in order ....

GRT lists the SkyRadar products as connected via USB.

I did tests for them of the SkyRadar, DUAL, iLevil, and FDS ADS-B receivers.

The iLevil and FDS allow for serial ports connections.

The iLevil **also** does USB although some are sent from the factory with the default setting being serial. This can be changed by you with an iPad and their utility.

Each of these receivers has it plus points. For some it is cost, others portability, others sensitivity and others functionality. All good.

I think that they all use the Garmin GDL-90 (??) data format. Don't hold me to this as I am going from memory and that is getting weaker by the ?????. :)

James

Back