What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3x Powers Down

Byron7

Well Known Member
Any solutions for a G3X that shuts down when starter is engaged. The Oydesey battery seems fine. Annoying to see display shut down . Mike..

Mine sometimes does that when the battery is low, but not when the battery is healthy. And on my plane, the ADAHRS usually drops out due to low voltage on engine start.

Garmin has a power control unit (don't know the number) that will keep things alive during start.

That's why most folks install a back-up battery or a GAD27 voltage stabilizer.
Let me guess, you have a skytec PM starter?

The G3X needs a minimum of 10 volts to stay on when you crank the engine. Most starters will cause a momentary drop below that when first engaged. As mentioned, the GAD27 will take care of that issue and has a host of other nice features built into it. Check it out: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/521821

Would the 27 work for non-touch?

Support for the GAD 27 is only available on the G3X Touch. While the keep alive power output from the GAD 27 would work without it being integrated into the G3X, the GAD 27 includes many other controllers which require the G3X Touch system to function. There are products on the market which serve as a backup battery or a voltage stabilization that can be used with the G3X.

Of note, Garmin has continued to make improvements over time to improve low voltage performance. The current G3X Touch displays are unlikely to reboot on engine start unless the battery is very weak.

Thanks,
Levi Self

Avionics bus and switch

I have the non touch G3X system and I installed a separate bus and switch for it. When I turn the master on all my radio, transponder, engine monitor and things like that come on. After engine start I flip the avionics (G3X) switch on and everything works fine. I also have a Dynon 10a with backup battery and a 660 GPS with battery as my G3X backup.

I have the non touch G3X system and I installed a separate bus and switch for it. When I turn the master on all my radio, transponder, engine monitor and things like that come on. After engine start I flip the avionics (G3X) switch on and everything works fine. I also have a Dynon 10a with backup battery and a 660 GPS with battery as my G3X backup.

Not sure I understand but if you do it like that you wouldn't see oil pressure on the G3X non touch as it is turned off at engiene start. Correct?

Wouldn't you want the ADHARS, Engine Monitor box, Magnetometer and G3X on before engine start and the rest "avionic master" on after you light the fire?

Mine is different

I have a separate engine monitor, already there before the G3X upgrade, so this works for me. I guess it wouldn?t for you. Best to install a backup battery system for your G3X system so it will hold power on the system during engine start.

I have a separate engine monitor, already there before the G3X upgrade, so this works for me. I guess it wouldn?t for you. Best to install a backup battery system for your G3X system so it will hold power on the system during engine start.

Ah OK. that makes sense! Thanks

Back