What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best way to straighten a rudder???

PrescottB787

Joined the two halves of my rv-10 rudder and it didn't turn out as well as I liked. The trailing edge needs to be straightened a little. Any ideas how this can be accomplished? Thanks in advance.

If already glued and riveted, your option is to buy the parts to make a new rudder.

I used a piece of angle iron, perhaps 2" by 2", as a means to hold the trailing edge to the flat (and sturdy) table top. With the trailing edge glued and ckekoed, have the edge just hang over the edge of the table so the clekoes clear. Put the angle on top of the trailing edge resting on the clekoes. Take a 25 pound bag of lead shot and put 5 pounds or so in zip lock bags. Put the bags on top of the angle and extend over the rudder (or whatever control surface).

Let the glue set, then go back and rivet.

Carl

maybe

I once helped a friend who had hangar rash on the rear edge of a -7 rudder.
It was kind of crushed/crumpled from being hit from the rear. Not terrible but enough that it was noticable and needed fixing. We were gearing up to build a replacement when another friend that was a sheet metal body expert took it to his home shop and worked his magic on it. It looked as good as new. Aparently metal professionals understand about stretching and shrinking by using different techniques. Just a thought....

Back