What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV9 avionics help

Willoukw

I'm New Here
Hello to everyone. I?m new to the site. I am a first time builder. Finished tail section on rv9 and started on wing. I?m thinking ahead about what kind of avionics I will go with when I get to that point. My problem is I am completely overwhelmed with it. I want to go with the most reasonable vfr panel I can to start with and plan to upgrade to ifr eventually, maybe some day. The Dynon quick panel looks nice but I know nothing about avionics. They start at $20k for vfr. Does anyone have any advice on this. Is there a better cheaper option? Thanks for any help.

For cheap VFR, they start cheaper than that if you're willing (and able) to build it yourself. You can go hard IFR with all the options for $25k.

If you're looking for someone to do a turn-key panel for you, Jesse or Stein will do you right.

Jesse will be a great info source ... pick his brain!

The avionics install step is a big one; very little guidance from Van's here. I'm an electrical engineer and am very comfortable with doing aviation quality wiring, routing, crimping, etc., however, I was surprised at how much work it was to do the design and layout/routing of my G3X system. Lots of reading, designing, planning, and replanning. It is a big job.

My take-aways:

1) Use a schematic capture package to do your design (kicad, or equiv) so you can generate an automatic netlist. I used Visio, which is a drawing program. Lots of manual cross-checking required to get it right. With a schematic capture program, you define your "component" (whosever e-box) and then wire it up. It will generate a netlist to indicate what is connected to what ; very useful to buzz out wiring from connector to connector.

2) Plan and replan after your look at the wiring in the plane. The best laid wiring plans will not survive the first attack of the spar passthroughs or other constraints . Be flexible. Plan and replan as needed.

3) Get good quality (Daniels or AstroTool) crimpers and use the high quality machined contacts. Worth every penny. I built lots of satellites and other electronics systems; the failures come in two flavors: 1) connectors, and 2) power supplies. You can't control the power supplies the vendors use, but you surely can control the connectors. You don't need space-grade, but do use high quality machined contacts and compatible shells. (I don't know about other manufacturers, but all the Garmin stuff is top shelf)

It was fun to wire up my panel, but is was more work that originally anticipated. However, it's fundamentally not difficult ... mostly just reading and understanding how to hook A to B to C.

Good luck and have fun!

Thank you very much for the advice Bill. What did you install with your 3x? I?m trying to figure what I need for a good user friendly system. And I want auto pilot with it. Thank you

If you are trying to save money on your panel, keep your eyes open for a used Dynon D180 for your EFIS display. It is good for all your flight and engine instruments. Then put in a Garmin handheld for your navigation chores. (I still have a 496 which gives me weather and nav.) There are many RV's flying with this combination and they are very reliable.

Note, that does not address your need for a Mode-S transponder, ADS-B, or a comm radio.

Then when you can save up some cash later on, you can replace that with something fancier, if you want.

Jesse will give you some good advice when you talk with him.

Finished tail section on rv9 and started on wing.

In my opinion, the biggest favor you can do yourself is to concentrate on the plane and forget about the avionics (for now). By the time you're ready to install avionics, the market including brands, prices, and capabilities of various offerings will look completely different than it does today.

my take

I would pick a avionics brand, my choice was either Dynon or Garmin. This way you can install the autopilot, heated pitot tube, and magnetometer, etc, as you build. Don't need to buy things until they need to be installed. For example, when building the wings, I bought the heated pitot tube and the roll autopilot servo and harness; while building the rear fuse, I bought the elevator autopilot servo.

Last edited:
I would pick a avionics brand, my choice was either Dynon or Garmin. This way you can install the autopilot, heated pitot tube, and magnetometer, etc, as you build. Don't need to buy things until they need to be installed. For example, when building the wings, I bought the heated pitot tube and the roll autopilot servo and harness; while building the rear fuse, I bought the elevator autopilot servo.

Well... sort of. When I got my -9A, IIRC, I changed from Dynon servos to Garmin, and they used the same bolt holes. While you're building, yes, run enough wires for each kind of device, maybe a few spares,and tubes as well, but as somebody else pointed out, wait until the very last minute to make the final decision. You don't really need a harness for the servos as there aren't that many wires and the connectors are, IIRC, D-subs, easy enough to wire. Same goes for wingtip lights and LED strobes, should you decide to use them.

Hello to everyone. I’m new to the site. I am a first time builder. Finished tail section on rv9 and started on wing. I’m thinking ahead about what kind of avionics I will go with when I get to that point. My problem is I am completely overwhelmed with it. I want to go with the most reasonable vfr panel I can to start with and plan to upgrade to ifr eventually, maybe some day. The Dynon quick panel looks nice but I know nothing about avionics. They start at $20k for vfr. Does anyone have any advice on this. Is there a better cheaper option? Thanks for any help.

Kevin welcome to the best hobby on Earth! Don't get overwhelmed yet, stay stress free for couple years. You indicated you just started on the wings keep pounding those rivets get passed fuselage, put her on the gear, finish the canopy and hang the engine... you will have so many avionics choices by the time your airframe is done.

Word of wisdom is below. I have many friends who sunk tons of hard earned cash many years (decade+) ago into those fancy then screens. They are already outdated and their RVs are still without canopy...

wait until the very last minute to make the final decision. You don't really need a harness for the servos as there aren't that many wires and the connectors are, IIRC, D-subs, easy enough to wire. Same goes for wingtip lights and LED strobes, should you decide to use them.

Life is short. If you are not building a Lindy or a super performer, stick to the plans and get in the air asap on the budget. Then you decide what to do. Tinker or fly... :)

Last edited:
Vlad and KRW seem to have it down pat.
Put in a basic 6 pack, and enjoy flying your plane for a season or two. You can always do a winter avionics upgrade, with the majority of it being done in your warm basement.

If there's one takeaway that I've gotten from reading builder's logs and working on aircraft over the years, it's this: make it easy for your future self to carry out mods and maint. Make your floorboards removeable. Run conduit everywhere, or at least extra wire for AOA/Autopilot servos/strobes/lights. It pays huge dividends down the road.

Keep building

Don't worry about the panel yet. By the time you get there you will have a lot more knowledge on the subject.

Welcome and enjoy the process...

Back