What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Low Cost Alternative For GA 26C G3X Antenna?

9GT

Well Known Member
Patron
Just for grins I picked up one of these cheap GPS antennas that stated it was compatible to the Garmin GA 26C antenna. https://www.amazon.com/Xtenzi-Exter...=1-1-catcorr&keywords=Xtenzi-External-Antenna Under $20 and shipped free. On the RV-10 I had a triple screen legacy G3X and I used the Garmin GPS antennas. The RV-9A is also a G3X panel, except the pilot side has a GDU 475 Touch, and the co-pilot side has a stand alone G3X legacy GDU 370 system. I wanted the co-pilot side to be a stand alone system for a back-up PFD instead of a G5. So I tested this new antenna on the GDU 370 today to check it out. No reception inside the hanger but I couldn't get any on the RV-10 either inside. I cracked open the door and pulled the new antenna outside about 3 feet from the hanger on the ground and it locked on. (cloudy day) One thing it did was lose a couple satellites an d lock back on seconds later. I don't recall if my RV-10 with the Garmin antennas did this. Any way, here are some screen shots of the satellite receptions. Thoughts? Go or no go with this antenna? Thanks for any input.
46371744731_10b1734195_z.jpg
[/url]20181218_115617 by David C, on Flickr[/IMG]
46320731252_9ae03959d0_z.jpg
[/url]20181218_115614 by David C, on Flickr[/IMG]
46320731582_ba35eabf49_z.jpg
[/url]20181218_115605 by David C, on Flickr[/IMG]
46320731712_6d1d1e447c_z.jpg
[/url]20181218_115537 by David C, on Flickr[/IMG]
46371745541_36d2e3317b_z.jpg
[/url]20181218_115417 by David C, on Flickr[/IMG]

Just for grins I picked up one of these cheap GPS antennas that stated it was compatible to the Garmin GA 26C antenna. https://www.amazon.com/Xtenzi-Exter...=1-1-catcorr&keywords=Xtenzi-External-Antenna Under $20 and shipped free. On the RV-10 I had a triple screen legacy G3X and I used the Garmin GPS antennas. The RV-9A is also a G3X panel, except the pilot side has a GDU 475 Touch, and the co-pilot side has a stand alone G3X legacy GDU 370 system. I wanted the co-pilot side to be a stand alone system for a back-up PFD instead of a G5. So I tested this new antenna on the GDU 370 today to check it out. No reception inside the hanger but I couldn't get any on the RV-10 either inside. I cracked open the door and pulled the new antenna outside about 3 feet from the hanger on the ground and it locked on. (cloudy day) One thing it did was lose a couple satellites an d lock back on seconds later. I don't recall if my RV-10 with the Garmin antennas did this. Any way, here are some screen shots of the satellite receptions. Thoughts? Go or no go with this antenna? Thanks for any input.

Hello David,

You will want to make sure the current limitations and other minimum requirements specified on page 23-3 of the Rev. AG G3X Installation manual are met.

There are many GPS antennas that draw too much power to be compatible with the WAAS GPS receiver built inside each of your displays.

A good deal on an antenna wouldn't seem so if you end up damaging something inside those nice displays.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello David,

You will want to make sure the current limitations and other minimum requirements specified on page 23-3 of the Rev. AG G3X Installation manual are met.

There are many GPS antennas that draw too much power to be compatible with the WAAS GPS receiver built inside each of your displays.

A good deal on an antenna wouldn't seem so if you end up damaging something inside those nice displays.

Thanks,
Steve
Point well taken,,,Thanks Steve. I couldn't find any spec info for these antennas so I'll just order up a couple GA 26C antennas and use the knock off for a paper weight.

The real test will be on approach to minimums with lightening near by. Just saying. Ymmv.

An appproach implies that another GPS receiver is installed and the G3X will be receiving lat lon coord's from that device, making the GA26 redundant.

Larry

For some reason even with the 650 connected as the nav source for the g3x, the g3x won’t work properly without an external antenna such as the 26 or 35. It says it somewhere in the manual and I figured that one out a while ago on an install. Seems like it would already have all of the info it needs; it is still looking for that feed directly into the box.

Back