What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tank Baffle T-00002

Bootscooter

Folks

Can someone help me out with an answer.

The Fuel tank baffle has an extra hole to define the bottom.

While the plans don't mention anything, is it simply a matter of match drilling this hole in the Tank Skin T-00001 counter sink and then carrying on?

Rgs Chad

Chad,

Don't match drill it to the tank skin. The hole is only there to identify the bottom of the baffle. It'll get filled in with proseal when you close up the tank.

Dimple, don't countersink

As a side note, I highly recommend dimpling the tank baffle and skin instead of countersinking per the plans. The worst looking rivets on my RV-8A were along the aft baffle with the countersunk holes. On my -14 tanks I dimpled everything. It went together easily, looks beautiful, and both tanks passed the leak test with no issues.

YMMV...

As a side note, I highly recommend dimpling the tank baffle and skin instead of countersinking per the plans. The worst looking rivets on my RV-8A were along the aft baffle with the countersunk holes. On my -14 tanks I dimpled everything. It went together easily, looks beautiful, and both tanks passed the leak test with no issues.

YMMV...
I am not sure how it is on the 14, but on the 9 i didnt dimple the tank baffle rivets because the skin is too close to the spar web. I felt there was not enough room for a dimple and a shop head without hitting the spar web. YMMV

I am not sure how it is on the 14, but on the 9 i didnt dimple the tank baffle rivets because the skin is too close to the spar web. I felt there was not enough room for a dimple and a shop head without hitting the spar web. YMMV

I had no problem with this on the -14 tanks. I just grabbed my flashlight and confirmed that none of the shop heads are touching the spar...they are pretty close, maybe 1/32-1/16" gap, but it's sufficient to avoid contact.

Back