What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Insurance Cover

stevep

Has anyone contacted insurance companies yet for the RV 14A? Do you think they will accept RV 7A time? Just thinking ahead!

Has anyone contacted insurance companies yet for the RV 14A? Do you think they will accept RV 7A time? Just thinking ahead!

Yes, I have insurance with Avemco and have 350 hours in a RV-7. They require 2 hours of dual in the 14. I'm going at the end of this month to fly with Mike Seager for 5.

Duration

Stoney,

5 hours with Mike, over how many days? Just trying to get a feel for how much time, in days, I'll need.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Stoney,

5 hours with Mike, over how many days? Just trying to get a feel for how much time, in days, I'll need.

Thanks,

With the uncertainty of weather in the N.W. this time of year 5 hrs could take 2 days or 2 weeks.

When weather is good, I think Mike usually does a morning and afternoon session of about 1.5 hr each (at least as you start out), so 5 hrs would be doable in a couple days.

Stoney,

Thanks,

Yes, praying for good weather. I am scheduled for 2 - 2 hour blocks, for 2 days. 10:00 & 3:00 both days.

Aircraft and Marine Assurance

Aircraft and Marine Assurance is a VAF supporter and an excellent insurance broker. They quoted me an RV14 insurance cost before I started building. I have been with them about 30 years with multiple aircraft. They always beat Avemco and always by a large margin. You should give them a call.

anyone care to share what they were quoted for rv-14 insurance? What did you choose for hull value? Obviously the factors are many, however for planning purposes it would be nice to know the ballpark figure.

anyone care to share what they were quoted for rv-14 insurance? What did you choose for hull value? Obviously the factors are many, however for planning purposes it would be nice to know the ballpark figure.

I would guess there are several factors. Are you going to have a loan on the plane, or have you paid cash? If you paid cash, you can decide what the hull value is, if not, it will be based on the loan of the aircraft. They also look at your hours, but that doesn't make a lot of difference, to the best of my knowledge. I don't have my "airborne" insurance yet, just insurance on the plane sitting in the hangar and that's about $900 per year for the value of the plane, which I think is going to be around $145K. I expect to have that much invested in the plane once I have paid for everything. I will have to change the policy once I am ready for 1st flight, so I can't help you with policy amounts of a flying airplane.

I would expect flight insurance on the -14 to be similar to the other two seat RVs with comparable hull value and the same gear configuration. My last payment on the RV-8A was around $1500 which included the typical liability (up to $1 million total but limited to $100K per passenger) and hull coverage for $125K, with zero deductible. I have around 700 hrs PPSEL, 550 of those are in the -8A, no instrument rating, no accident history. I've always gone through Falcon (EAA's partner insurance agent) and been happy with the service and quotes. The underwriter for my policies used to be AIG but the past few years Global came back with better rates. Several times I've asked AVEMCO for a quote and they've always given me outrageous numbers...literally 2 to 2.5 times the price of what I got through Falcon for essentially the same coverage. I'm a bit perplexed about their 'We Love Homebuilts' ads because they clearly weren't interested in providing me with a competitive quote for flight coverage. That said, I did use them for builder's insurance on the -8A years ago, so at the time their hull coverage (not in motion) was reasonable.

Last edited:
Back