What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Extra Hole?

ShortSnorter

Well Known Member
What is this extra hole for? Is this just a common part from another model or is it just a lightening hole?
2gt3ja9.jpg

5r80l.jpg

Ryan,

I'm not sure if that hole is meant as a lightening hole or if it has some purpose on the RV-10, but I'm pretty sure it serves no other purpose in the -14 since it's mostly covered up by the 1029C angle. You'll notice many of the parts in the RV-14 wing kit have part numbers starting with '10' since they are common to the RV-10 wings, but they're not always used in exactly the same way. Notice the most inboard rib in the -14 has a bunch of prepunched holes in the aft end of it? These holes are unused on the -14 but was designed to accommodate the flap bracket on the -10. I spent some time scratching my head wondering why Vans prepunched all the holes in a rib that doesn't have a flap bracket, and did not prepunch the holes in the ribs that actually do have a flap bracket attached to them...

Bottom line is don't be surprised to find unused holes in more than one area of the -14 wings, but it never hurts to ask if in doubt.

I think it is to help you properly identify the part.
The fwd and aft parts are very similar, but the are different.

Thanks for the heads up guys. Once I sandwiched these parts together, it just looked odd having a partially obstructed hole.

Back