What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cherrymax vs solid rivets

salto

Well Known Member
Hi All, if you can get a solid rivet in instead of a cherrymax is that a preferred option.
The F-01444 pg 29-07 has solids as well as cherrymax and I can quite easily get solids rivets in all the holes.
Is that preferable or are cherrymax stronger?
Thanks

Van's design philosophy is keep the kit cost down.
Parts like Cherry rivets are much more expensive than standard AN rivets, and would never be specified at a location where AN rivets could be easily installed, unless consider necessary (yes, they do have a higher shear rating).
But since I have no plans at home to know the locations you are talking about, I can't say for sure.

Solid rivets will usually be stronger than cherrymax, as the act of working the rivet work hardens the aluminium increasing its strength, the only acceptable substitute for a solid rivet is a cherrymax though. according to Mr Sikorsky and Boeing.

Interesting, I haven't set the cherrymax yet as I was of the same belief.
When Scott said they had a higher shear it made sense as the rivets supplied only met minimum strength once set. I they are a size too short so I assumed that the objective was not clamping but for shear.
Still haven't set the cherrymax as I am struggling with my inner self.

If you are worried . .

Just look up the shear strength of each. Scott has a very good track record! (i.e. don't make this too hard)

Cherry max information is easy to get. For solid rivets of all types google "MIL-HDBK-5J" download, and use the search function. It will tell you more than you want to know.

Last edited:
Thanks Bill that link certainly leads one to a wealth of information.
Building these aircraft is about learning as well as ending up with a great product.

Cherry max in the oversize versions (shank oversized) are nearly as good as MS20427 or MS20426 rivets they replace but one has to notice that the shear allowables provided by Cherry are for thicker sheet materials. Testing has shown that Cherrymax in thinner sheets- like .032 and less are considerably poorer in performance due to the fact that the shank expansion is limited making hole fit more critical. So for highly loaded fasteners, one should be wary of Cherrymax as a solid rivet replacement in those applications. Both the FAA and Cherry have identified and published concerns over known issues in environments where the rivet is subjected to vibration.

The main reason that Cherrymax has oversize shank rivets is for when they are being used after a rivet was drilled out. The shank expansion is limited enough that the hole has to be correct and without the oversize rivet you can't get the correct fit to realize full strength.

That said, I use the oversize versions in any secondary structural application as replacements.

Also note that the thickness and material that the rivet goes in will play a significant part is the overall strength, as does whether it's dimpled or countersunk. It's likely among the 2024 thicknesses used on RVs that the strength of the hole is LESS than the strength of the rivet, especially if that part's not dimpled. MIL-HDBK-5 will help you there. In those cases a stronger rivet doesn't help you much.

For an RV, my recommendation would be to use the rivet specified on the plans. If there are optional types of rivets specified, then you can choose among them.

Dave

Back