VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-10-2013, 11:58 PM

Thanks guys! It's great to have a support section.
Tail kit completed on Feb 8, 2012 (180 hrs)
Wing kit mostly completed, fuselage under construction as of March 6, 2014 (750 hrs)
Paid up for 2019
Old 04-23-2013, 12:18 PM

Default On to the tanks

I intended to construct both wings at once, but a friend gave me a single set of wing stands so I decided to do them one at a time. Once I had the left wing in the jig, I realized I had used all but four of my 325 silver clecoes. (Either that, or there's a bunch of clecoes hanging out with all the individual socks I've lost in the dryer.)

288 hrs on the build Hobbs:

Wing kit mostly completed, fuselage under construction as of March 6, 2014 (750 hrs)
Paid up for 2019
Old 09-29-2013, 08:43 PM

Default Starting my second year

Today marks one year since we started construction on the airplane. In the last year, we've logged 470 hours in the factory. The tail is completed and stored on the shelf. The fuel tanks need one more session with ProSeal and they will be finished. While I was waiting on a new can of sealant to be shipped this week, I finished most of the prep work on the wings. I'll be ready to start riveting the wings skins in a few more hours.

Paid up for 2019
Old 09-30-2013, 07:41 AM

Default Happy Anniversary!

Hey Rob, I remember last year when you started...as I was right behind you. 470 hours in a year sure didn't seem like much a year ago, but it is quite an accomplishment - especially with all the work-travel you have been undertaking! VERY IMPRESSIVE my friend! I will roll over the one year mark in a month - and looking forward too it...time for the big push
Fuselage - arrived 3/14/14
Wings - arrived 3/7/13
Builder # 83331
www.mykitlog.com/izzybear
VAF Dues gladly paid up till December 2019

"The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only stare skyward and wish." - Unknown
Old 09-30-2013, 09:51 AM

Jim,

I was just thinking the same things last night. Although I'm a bit behind my goal of 10 hrs / week, I'm happy with my progress considering how many days I've spent on the road in the past 12 months. I was on your build log a few days ago checking on your progress -- looking good!

Rob
Paid up for 2019
Old 01-20-2014, 02:56 PM

Default ProSeal Complete!

I'm pleased to report that after a much-too-long detour I closed the second tank yesterday and finished the final ProSeal session this morning.

In July I was riveting the internal ribs to the left tank skin when I accidently dropped the bucking bar while changing my grip on it inside the tank. The bar landed on its corner at the leading edge of the tank. Although it didn't break the skin, it did leave a protruding dent. I'm planning to polish the airplane, so repairing this without bondo became problematic. I took it to my EAA chapter a few months ago and got some advice on how to fix it.

The left wing is almost ready to come out of the jig, and the right structure is nearly ready for the top skins. My fuselage kit is scheduled to ship in a week, and it I should be ready to start work on in in a few weeks.

Loving the journey!
Paid up for 2019
Old 01-20-2014, 03:09 PM

Default Looking Good!

Yep, you are moving right along Rob! Keep up the good work and you will have the 40 hours flown off in no time But seriously, good job! I know it is not easy with all the traveling you do. We both started our projects at about the same time and are still pretty much in the same place - my fuse should be delivered mid-March. Glad to hear you are loving the build as much as I am. Enjoy.
Fuselage - arrived 3/14/14
Wings - arrived 3/7/13
Builder # 83331
www.mykitlog.com/izzybear
VAF Dues gladly paid up till December 2019

"The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only stare skyward and wish." - Unknown
Old 01-20-2014, 03:17 PM

I feel your pain on the 'out dent'. I have one that is clearly visible on a fuel tank too.
I also have a few 'smiley rivets'. I decided to give them a reasonable effort to reduce the damage, and tell people who notice that I'm not letting it embarass me. I feel that anyone who finishes such a project has done very well.
I have 2.5 hours on my RV-8 now , and that little dent doesn't seem to effect the way it flies at all.
RV-8 N89SE first flight 12/26/2013
Yak55M, and the wife has an RV-4
There is nothing-absolute nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing around with Aeroplanes
(with apologies to Ratty)
Old 01-20-2014, 03:38 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

So, how about a translation of the symbol in the left center of the tank

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 01-20-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzybear View Post
Yep, you are moving right along Rob! Keep up the good work and you will have the 40 hours flown off in no time But seriously, good job! I know it is not easy with all the traveling you do. We both started our projects at about the same time and are still pretty much in the same place - my fuse should be delivered mid-March. Glad to hear you are loving the build as much as I am. Enjoy.
Jim, I'm ready for you to pull ahead of me so I can learn from your mistakes!
Paid up for 2019