VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-09-2012, 03:59 PM

Thanks guys! I was initially thinking QB all the way, but I'll have a reduced work schedule for the next few months and I have been enjoying the build so much that I'm rethinking the QB idea. I ordered a SB wing kit, but decided to hold off on the fuselage kit for now until I see how the wing kit goes.
Tail kit completed on Feb 8, 2012 (180 hrs)
Wing kit mostly completed, fuselage under construction as of March 6, 2014 (750 hrs)
Paid up for 2019
Old 12-02-2012, 10:40 AM

Over Thanksgiving we made the annual trek to Ohio to visit my family. On the way back we stopped to see HIIFLY and purchase the Todd's canopy he listed in the classifieds.

We laid the passenger seats down and packed the canopy into the wife's Honda Element.

Driving home tandem was good practice for traveling in the -8!

When we got home my buddy helped me try it out -- complete with airplane noises!

(Actual noises can be heard here: http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/12...12052/?fref=ts)
Wing kit mostly completed, fuselage under construction as of March 6, 2014 (750 hrs)
Paid up for 2019

Last edited by Nihon_Ni : 04-19-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:58 AM

Awesome pictures!

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 12-02-2012, 05:14 PM

Default VA

Nice job Rob. You should come down here sometime to see your future work that is coming your way

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43328439@N04/

RV-8 Sold

Happy people don't necessarily have the best of everything,
But they make the best of everything they have.

German immigrant who's living the American dream!
Old 12-14-2012, 08:04 AM

Default Looking Good Rob!!

Hey Rob... That's taking the "U" to the extreme in SUV! I love it! I have been thinking about the Todd's canopy too - so let me know what you think. Keep up the good work - you are making very good progress there!!
Fuselage - arrived 3/14/14
Wings - arrived 3/7/13
Builder # 83331
www.mykitlog.com/izzybear
VAF Dues gladly paid up till December 2019

"The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only stare skyward and wish." - Unknown
Old 12-14-2012, 09:27 AM

Hi Rob,

Nice! I'm just about to rivet the HS ... doing all the deburring and dimpling now. Any hints or gotchas, esp with the rivets to the forward ribs and HS-702 forward spar. Gotta reach under the skin for these, and it seems long arms are needed. Did you do it solo or with another person?
N430WB RV-7 #74152, tip-up. Final assembly.

Log at: http://rv7.wbencze.com
Defeating gravity one rivet at a time
VAF 2019 donation happily made
Old 12-16-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjb View Post
Hi Rob,

Nice! I'm just about to rivet the HS ... doing all the deburring and dimpling now. Any hints or gotchas, esp with the rivets to the forward ribs and HS-702 forward spar. Gotta reach under the skin for these, and it seems long arms are needed. Did you do it solo or with another person?
I did it most of the HS solo. My wife helped cleco and match drill one of the skins, and held a few parts here and there, but in general it's been a one man show. My big tip for the 702 rivets is to get a small inspection mirror. I found one at Harbor Frieght about the size of a quarter ($5) and I found out that many rivets that felt like they were set properly, actually weren't. I used this bucking bar from Avery.

On the one I have, the narrow strip on the left side of this picture is polished, and it was the only bucking bar I have that would reach most places inside the HS. I taped cardboard to the end of it to act as a spacer, then held it against 702 and that kept that narrow strip of the bar roughly centered on the rivet. After a while the cardboard compressed and I had to add more. In hind sight, I'd use a section of rubber from and inner tube so it wouldn't change dimensions during use. I went down to the local recycle center and found an old inner tube in the used tires bin, so I'll use that in the future. Just take is easy and don't rush, and you're results will turn out fine.
Paid up for 2019
Old 02-09-2013, 10:05 AM

Default Tail Kit -- Check!

I'm happy to announce we completed the tail kit yesterday after 180 hrs, spread over 18.7 weeks. (I was away from home for four of those weeks, but I have been able to maintain a 10 hr/week construction schedule despite my travel requirements.) There's a few items on my punch list including the tips, and I may rework the trim tab, but otherwise it's complete!

On to the wings!!

Paid up for 2019

Last edited by Nihon_Ni : 02-09-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:17 AM

Default Looking good Rob!

NICE! I am close to posting that same picture so I know the feeling (almost) you must be feeling!! On to the wings! Keep up the good work - I am following you!
Fuselage - arrived 3/14/14
Wings - arrived 3/7/13
Builder # 83331
www.mykitlog.com/izzybear
VAF Dues gladly paid up till December 2019

"The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only stare skyward and wish." - Unknown
Old 02-10-2013, 07:48 AM

Default Cool!

Hey Rob,

Good job! You and Jim are ahead of me on the emp....keep telling me about the landmines!!! Y'all are good point men!
RV-8 QB Reserved N212KB
ATP
CFI/CFII/MEI

Build Site: http://www.mykitlog.com/skykingbob/

"Nothing worthwhile has ever been accomplished without inspiration, determination, and perspiration!"