- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2019, 04:26 PM

Default Minimum required tools for RV practice kit

After reading way too many forum posts and watching way too many YouTube videos, I have decided on a 12iS. But first I want to build the practice kit and the tookbox. However, I don't want to spend $1,000 in tools just for that, in case working on those discourages me, which I doubt, but still...

Can anyone point me to a list of the minimum required tools for accomplishing that task? And I mean a list with links to actual products on amazon or harbor freight or something? The Van's site has a list of tools with double asterisks by the ones needed for the practice kit, but it just says 'one 1/4" thingamabob'. If I don't really know what that thingamabob is, then it's hard to be sure I'm getting the right one.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:51 PM

Suggestion - find nearest EAA chapter. I'm sure tools can be borrowed for initial test build.
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC July 2012 N633CM
RV-12 Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 522

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 11-22-2019, 07:01 PM

Or take one of these courses. They’re great!

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/event/01-11-...30A6A3AFF28D65
Old 11-22-2019, 07:04 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynan View Post
After reading way too many forum posts and watching way too many YouTube videos, I have decided on a 12iS.
Bryan, welcome to VAF-----and congrats on your choice of planes.

Second to the EAA suggestion.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 11-22-2019, 07:51 PM

Default Tool

My most important 'tool' was a man who offered to help me get started. I am a very handy guy who has built houses and serviced a few autos and that didn't even qualify me to do an acceptable job on my RV-12 without help. Never worked with metal or fiberglass. My helper got me started off right including which tools to buy.

Go to an airport nearby, walk around, and look for someone who has an RV. Chances are good that that person will help you get started or direct you to someone who is currently building an RV. Helping someone else build his RV will get you started off well. You will see what it takes to work on an RV and then you may decide either to build or not build. You will find this out after only a few sessions wherein you help build the other persons RV. PM me if you would like to discuss this on the phone.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:00 PM

Default Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. D. Eliot View Post
My most important 'tool' was a man who offered to help me get started. I am a very handy guy who has built houses and serviced a few autos and that didn't even qualify me to do an acceptable job on my RV-12 without help. Never worked with metal or fiberglass. My helper got me started off right including which tools to buy.

Go to an airport nearby, walk around, and look for someone who has an RV. Chances are good that that person will help you get started or direct you to someone who is currently building an RV. Helping someone else build his RV will get you started off well. You will see what it takes to work on an RV and then you may decide either to build or not build. You will find this out after only a few sessions wherein you help build the other persons RV. PM me if you would like to discuss this on the phone.
Agreed. You could also look up the nearest EAA Chapter, attend a meeting and ask around for a Mentor. Build one or both of the practice kits together, drill them apart and reassemble. By then, youll have a really good handle on which tools you want/need.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/03/2019, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:30 PM

I agree fully with both the recommendation to find someone to mentor your practice kit and to look for one of the EAA Sport Air workshops to get a good start on building.

Also, you should be aware that the practice kits use mostly solid rivets that are driven or squeezed, while I believe the RV-12 is mostly pulled rivets, so easier to put together. You might consider ordering some pulled rivets with the practice kit and substitute them to get a better idea of how the RV-12 will be built. A phone call or email to Van's builder assist may find someone to help you determine the best rivets to order to modify the practice kit.

RV-10 Fuselage Moved to Airport Sept 15th for Finishing.
2019 VAF Dues Paid
Old 11-22-2019, 09:14 PM

Second Larry’s idea,

Before even starting practice with scrap the following: Assemble, take apart, and reassemble. Taking apart is a required skill. Try doing the reassembly with different style rivets (solid vs pulled) and then take apart again. Intentionally over squeeze some solid rivets and see how the parts “pucker” apart.

By the way this will not be frustration free.

-Dave
Old 11-22-2019, 10:11 PM

Default What will it be like to build the -12iS

Bynan, consider taking the fundamental course from Synergy Air in Eugene, Or.
https://synergyair.com/
They are just one state up from you. You will get a very good idea of what building the -12iS is like from their one day class. They provide all the tools. I took the class before deciding to proceed with the project. Have no regrets. The other thing I did was attend Oshkosh for the first time. Wow, that was a real eye opener. Leaned a lot. Good luck.
Dues paid thru 2019
Old 11-22-2019, 10:52 PM

You can get by with minimal tools for a practice kit. There are many ways to do certain operations. Some of them are more time consuming than others. If you have any hand tools you probably have some of the tools that you will need. You can use a cordless drill for example until you decide you are committed to building more of the kits. I use some of the files I had previously for knocking off the punch marks before final sanding the parts edges. If you don’t have any files then just start with a little rougher sand paper and finish off with 220. The one thing you will probaby need is a hand rivet squeezer. I have a Tatco and really like it. There are clones too. Take a look at the yardstore.com they are very reasonable.

I would suggest you buy the kit and take it one step at a time. Just buy as you go. As others have mentioned take the EAA sheetmetal course and that will get you started. With the course they provide the tools and show you the correct technique. They give up in Wattsonville but maybe there is a place closer to you down in SoCal.

Also most builders would probably be willing to help you build a practice kit if you can track down a builder local to you.
RV-7 Fuselage in progress
* Cabin Interior - In progress
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
Shop Setup - In Progress (Gathering Tools, Never Complete)
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete