VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-30-2019, 07:08 PM

Based on this feedback as well as discussions in the other thread, I decided to order the Cleaveland RV-14 tool kit. In addition, I ordered a 20 gallons compressor. I'm thinking about whether I will want to get the drill press, bench grinder, and band saw. Perhaps I will wait until I need them and talk to more 14 builders.

Also, the documentation that came with the RV-14 crate, Empennage Packet, says, "Steel parts, if not powder coated, should be oiled or primed immediately." The majority of the parts are obviously aluminum, but there are a few parts that are not covered in that blue material. I went over them with a magnet but none of them reacted... is that an adequate test to validate that I don't need to oil/prime anything from the RV-14A empennage kit?

In other news, I completed my second EAA 1000 workbench. The second one was much easier because I had the first one to put the project on!
Old 09-30-2019, 07:28 PM

I bought my tools separately. Don't know if that was cost effective but it avoided buying things in a kit that I didn't want. Jason Ellis (palamedes here on VAF) put together a tool list that I used to get going. It was based on the Van's recommended list but had his commentary on whether it was required vs optional, and when in the build he needed it which made it easy to defer buying some items until I needed them.

I have yet to receive a steel component that isn't powder coated. I suspect that statement is a holdover from a time when steel parts did occasionally ship naked. As for the aluminum, all of the real think aluminum doubler plates (the 1/8" think and greater) and angle iron should be primed.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:45 PM

Since funding isn't currently a problem (that may change later ) I ordered the RV-14 Tool kit from Cleaveland, as well as a 20 gallon air compressor from Harbor Freight.

I finished assembling my second EAA 1000 workbench. Next thing I need to do is take another look at my aluminum empennage components since the steele ones are already powder coated, and decide what to do about it. I have oil I could apply to protect them, since I have no idea at this point what I'm going to eventually do about priming. I didn't realize I was going to be on a clock for that one until after I received the kit.

edit: Also, I'm logging my efforts and costs using eaabuilderslog.org

Last edited by ringlasergyrosandwich : 10-01-2019 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:30 AM

Default LEE

I flew into Lee last Sunday with my -10 and picked up a friend of mine to go get his plane down near NC. Great little airport.
Garmin G900X
First Flight 2/14/2019
Old 10-05-2019, 09:26 AM

I realized my knowledge regarding priming is very deficient, so after reading through the documentation provided to me by Vans, I created this thread in the Priming section: http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=175790 I'm sure I'm not the only new builder with questions like these, although I'll admit I'm proper in the lower quartiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrogunner View Post
I flew into Lee last Sunday with my -10 and picked up a friend of mine to go get his plane down near NC. Great little airport.
It's a good location (walking distance to downtown Edgewater) but you need to be on top of your short fields.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:41 PM

Default Build on...

Dude, no one has said this yet, but they will... "Build On!"

Don't let all this bog you down right from the start and keep you from enjoying the journey. There will be plenty of questions and none of this will "kill" your project.

Enjoy!

Wb
RV-7

VA-165 '90-'93
Old 10-05-2019, 04:23 PM

Good call. My kit didn't come with an air-powered drill so I actually need to get one of those. Any difference between 2600 and 4000 rpm? They are both within Vans' recommendation. Also, I've read online that it's worth paying extra for the keyless chuck... any downsides, besides cost, to going keyless?

I've completed step 1 of the empennage which involved placing two clecos! Need to match drill next while I figure out the primer I will use and which items need to be primed.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:11 PM

Another builder I know just used a cordless or corded drill for his entire build and was happy not getting an air drill, so I did the same and have been perfectly fine without. Besides I hate listening to my compressor, so the less time itís working makes me happy. Radio is much better company than a compressor.