Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > My RV Build Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2019, 04:24 AM

Panel is powdercoated and installed. GRT HXr is up and running. I'm happy - it looks absolutely brilliant.

I went with a trusty Garmin GTX 327 transponder and will install one Becker radio for now. I will decide how much money I want to spend on a proper radio once I've seen how the thing flies.

I bought two EMags for the motor, which are on the engine, but which I still need to wire.

Tailwheel chains are sorted - that was a non-issue.

I put the fuse block behind the panel. Hoping I never need to go in there anyway. There's a main bus of mostly 18ga wire and 10A fuses, and an avionics bus of mostly 2A and 3A fuses.

Next projects are to move the com antennas - they're currently about a foot apart, with the transponder antenna inbetween, and then de-slosh the fuel tanks.

I removed the fuel tank from the right wing this evening. They're extended tanks - 28 gallons a side - and are absolutely huge. Not looking forward to that job.

Still haven't addressed the rudder pedals. I'm just ignoring that right now.
Currently rebuilding a 1992 O-360 CS RV-6 Slider

Last edited by jamlip : 10-26-2019 at 04:45 AM.
Old 10-26-2019, 12:19 PM

Looks like you are making good progress! I am in the process of rebuilding an RV-4, my tanks had a few seeping areas and were sloshed as well. Having done quite a bit of fuel tank work in the past I decided on this project to send them to Paul Beck at Weep-no-More in Minnesota. They turned out great and he guarantees his work. I spent a whole day building shipping boxes for them, I used the big garment boxes from Home Depot as a starting point and packed the tanks in the boxes using pool noodles I found on clearance. I believe the total was around $2300 including the shipping cost so it’s definitely not the cheapest option. No regrets in my case, I think it was money well spent, saved me a lot of time and frustration and I know they are done right.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Still haven't addressed the rudder pedals. I'm just ignoring that right now.
Years ago, George Orndorff made a series of VHS videos on RV6 construction. In one of those videos he too made the mistake of fitting the NACA vents to low. From memory I think he shortened the rudder torque tubes and just attached a plate to the top of the 6061T6 angle and mounted the bearing blocks further inboard to clear the vents on both sides.
You can track down a more modern copy of those old videos on his website. Just search his name and it should come up. Well worth a look. He has some very good "stuff" in them for sure.

Last edited by airtractor8 : 10-26-2019 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airtractor8 View Post
Years ago, George Orndorff made a series of VHS videos on RV6 construction. In one of those videos he too made the mistake of fitting the NACA vents to low. From memory I think he shortened the rudder torque tubes and just attached a plate to the top of the 6061T6 angle and mounted the bearing blocks further inboard to clear the vents on both sides.
You can track down a more modern copy of those old videos on his website. Just search his name and it should come up. Well worth a look. He has some very good "stuff" in them for sure.
I've sussed this one out - the right block fouls the vents by about 1/8 of an inch (the left one will -just- squeeze under). I cut away the bottom of the vent, and will fill with seam sealer and then paint once everything is installed.

Easier than making brackets and whatnot!
Old 10-26-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyhud View Post
Looks like you are making good progress! I am in the process of rebuilding an RV-4, my tanks had a few seeping areas and were sloshed as well. Having done quite a bit of fuel tank work in the past I decided on this project to send them to Paul Beck at Weep-no-More in Minnesota. They turned out great and he guarantees his work. I spent a whole day building shipping boxes for them, I used the big garment boxes from Home Depot as a starting point and packed the tanks in the boxes using pool noodles I found on clearance. I believe the total was around $2300 including the shipping cost so it’s definitely not the cheapest option. No regrets in my case, I think it was money well spent, saved me a lot of time and frustration and I know they are done right.
Thanks. I saw lots of references to this company. My tanks are huge (they're as tall as me when stood on their ends!), so I'd perhaps pay more than $2300. Either way, $2300 buys a lot of my time at my low, low hourly rate, so I'm going to do this one myself.

Whilst I'm thinking about it, does anyone know the thickness of the rear bulkhead of the fuel tanks (so I can make my patches).

Last edited by jamlip : 10-26-2019 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:46 PM

Hi James, I'm the lady with the RV4 who had the Jeep at Bacon Strip. Pat and Carol (with the Bearhawk) and I are trying to get in touch with you about the location of the boulder near the megaphone. Pat searched for it, but no luck. My RV4 is a hoot to fly; we are doing some work on it, but it should be done next week. Geri
Old 10-26-2019, 11:53 PM

The rear tank bulkhead is .032.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyhud View Post
The rear tank bulkhead is .032.
Thank you!
Old 10-27-2019, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilveira View Post
Hi James, I'm the lady with the RV4 who had the Jeep at Bacon Strip. Pat and Carol (with the Bearhawk) and I are trying to get in touch with you about the location of the boulder near the megaphone. Pat searched for it, but no luck. My RV4 is a hoot to fly; we are doing some work on it, but it should be done next week. Geri
Hi Geri. Great to hear from you! Just saw your PM - I'll reply there.