VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-21-2019, 11:51 AM

I have the Denso 021080-0760 with an external crowbar to shut off the field voltage. A spare in the hangar cost $90.

120 hours so far and all nominal (to use NASA-speak).
Old 08-21-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartingt View Post
Direction of rotation may depend on how it's defined on engine vs alternator. If you define alternator rotation looking from the pulley end, it would be counter-clockwise. Anyone know which case holds?

I too am alternator shopping but would like an 80A unit (electrically dependent engine, IFR, some goodies, and I want plenty of margin). I found a potential Denso unit on Summit but I need to verify a few things. If anyone has already picked out such a beast with external regulation I'm all ears.
Going to be tough to find an 80A alternator with external VR. However, an IR alternator can be easily modifed to take a field from an external VR. A bit of surgery and soldering, but pretty easy and straight forward.

Larry
Old 08-21-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaskuss View Post
Why do you want a counterclockwise rotation alternator? Lycoming spin clockwise. Honda's older models also spin clockwise.
SAE J 824 set the standard for how we describe auto engine rotation. It dictates that in cars, you describe rotation from the point of view of looking at the rear flywheel. So the most common rotation in cars is CCW.

We know that our Lycommings spin the opposite direction - hence you want an alt for a CW engine if you are one of the folks that thinks the fan direction matters.

I usually find the most detailed specs for alts on rockauto.com . When you look up the Dodge alternator you mentioned (ACDELCO 3351182), it lists the "Rotation Direction" as clockwise. But when you look up a 1982 Accord, (ACDELCO 3341650), it says counterclockwise. Just about any other vehicle you lookup describes alt rotation as clockwise.

So that proves to me that despite car engines turning CCW, the alternators rotation is described the opposite way, as if you are looking at the front of the pulley.

That dodge one is definitely added to my list though. Available new, its more modern, LOTS of amps, external regulator, and many folks say fan direction doesn't matter.
RV-10 #1750
N67SC reserved
http://n67sc.blogspot.com/
2019 Dues Paid
Old 08-21-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
Going to be tough to find an 80A alternator with external VR. However, an IR alternator can be easily modifed to take a field from an external VR. A bit of surgery and soldering, but pretty easy and straight forward.

Larry
Powermaster makes 1g Ford alternators that are externally regulated in 55, 90, and 125A (min) rated. There is still the issue of fan rotation.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:35 PM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoby View Post
Powermaster makes 1g Ford alternators that are externally regulated in 55, 90, and 125A (min) rated. There is still the issue of fan rotation.
The 35a alternator Vans sold for many years didn't have a fan......
Old 08-21-2019, 08:39 PM

Default Alt

We have a amazon “one wire” alternator
60 amp? 1200 hours and just for piece of
Mind changed the belt last week.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Albery View Post
I have the Denso 021080-0760 with an external crowbar to shut off the field voltage. A spare in the hangar cost $90.

120 hours so far and all nominal (to use NASA-speak).

How do you cut field voltage? Field is internal. The only thing you have access to is +B (output). The connector on back is typically the "ignition" (wake/sleep) and low volt light. Just asking. Thanks

Last edited by gmcjetpilot : 08-22-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcjetpilot View Post
How do you cut field voltage? Field is internal. The only thing you have access to is +B (output). The connector on back is typically the "ignition" (wake/sleep) and low volt light. Just asking. Thanks
Depends on the alternator and we've had this discussion before. Many IR Denso alternators have 2 or 3 terminals. Take 12V off one external control terminal (usually marked IG) and charging stops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvQRHuNpjss

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 436.1 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi2.htm

Last edited by rv6ejguy : 08-22-2019 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Any information/guides?
Old 08-24-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartingt View Post
Quote:
Any information/guides?
Well, I've found some of my own answers, at least. And finally figured out how alternators work, in an applied/practical sense.

http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles...Conversion.pdf seems to be a pretty good process for conversion and I can get my head around the mods on the case/housing, but the details about modding inside the voltage regulator aren't clear (the pic is pretty low-res). I suspect it would make more sense once I got my grubby hands on one to play with. Perhaps even a more direct means of applying field current would become apparent if one were willing to just skip the included 3/4 prong plug, but I can't tell just from a couple of pictures.

If I decide to go down this path I'll try to document it with better (and more) pictures.

Regarding an alternator itself, the Denso 210-0208 off the 1995-1996 Accord looks like it work well. 80A and counterclockwise rotation (from pulley end). I'd have to find a pulley to work with it though, and do the surgery.

Best part is Summit carries it for about $100...
(edit: $130 with the core charge...)

Last edited by rmartingt : 08-25-2019 at 12:43 PM.