VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-09-2019, 09:44 PM

Yep I screwed up this area a couple of times on my -7A. No joke about that extra trim tab skin Mark mentioned, I know few that have made it through it in one shot.
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 05-12-2019, 12:25 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the trim tab skin... I will be extra diligent.

Good news... getting parts from Vans only takes 2 days! So I was back up and running today.

Hopefully this may help someone... don't do what I did!

so moving on!--------------------------------------------------------

Okay edge prep... Wow I knew it was going to be annoying but I had no idea. I have a scotchbrite wheel on my bench grinder but I don't trust myself. I tried with my scrap part and ZIINGGG I managed to hit the face and not the edge not once but TWICE trying to clean it up.

So I tried this...

Ordered the paper from amazon. 100 sheets of 400 grit for like $20 dollars... so far I love it.

Also I happened to discover that my Avery rivet gage happens to be perfect for tracing out a R.25...

Went to go shape it using abrasives but when the part got hot enough the sharpie mark disappeared... I said NOPE. I don't want to effect the heat treat on that part. So I stopped.

Now I'm waiting for my new bandsaw stand to show up. I already have a Milwaukee portaband so I got a stand that converts that into an upright bandsaw with a table. Hopefully that works out.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:52 AM

Those sand paper discs you have will be your ticket to success. Someone nudged me tribal knowledge to get foam sanding blocks. The soft sand block gently and nicely allows the sanding surface to fold around and edge, not too much, not too little....insert the word "finesse" here.
Extra tip....look at part's and skin's edges for excessive burr; often I GENTLY run a edge debut tool (V-style) along the edge once or twice, then apply the sanding block.
Try this, and I think you will be happy, get a small hand towel, fold it perhaps once...your sticky backed sanding discs will stick to that nicely....essentially imitating a foam style sanding block.
Short answer...thin part's edges...use sanding. The wheels, die grinder or bench grinder...both will cause you headache. Those two tools are for thick parts, holes, or small w many flange type parts.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:09 PM

Default Cleco caps.

So... I ran out of my clecos that have caps... borrowed a friends. To my shock I couldn't believe how easily some of them scratched the skin!

Intolerable to me.

I just got a new pile of clecos and went to go buy more caps... yeah ATS stopped stocking them and yardstore wanted $.30 each!?

I found this guy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aft8JSct35A

The mcmaster.com part number is 9753K16 which he didn't mention. $~4 for a pack of 100. Just gotta poke the hole.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roarks View Post

So... I ran out of my clecos that have caps... borrowed a friends. To my shock I couldn't believe how easily some of them scratched the skin!

Intolerable to me.

I just got a new pile of clecos and went to go buy more caps... yeah ATS stopped stocking them and yardstore wanted $.30 each!?

I found this guy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aft8JSct35A

The mcmaster.com part number is 9753K16 which he didn't mention. $~4 for a pack of 100. Just gotta poke the hole.
Cheap. Easier than mine too.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yc...rm91abzI42PWP-
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/03/2019, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:03 PM
Forum Peruser

Default Flood of orders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roarks View Post
..:
The mcmaster.com part number is 9753K16 which he didn't mention. $~4 for a pack of 100...
And today someone at McMaster-Carr is wondering why there is a sudden flood of 825 orders for that part number.

But we know why.
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/APRS Automatic Position Reporting System

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard
Old 05-16-2019, 06:35 PM

So I just outfitted 125 1/8 clecos... That was tedious. Luckly my 9 month old sat in my lap and would hold anything I handed her. So we were swapping out cleco pliers and the awl.

I'm not a fan of how the guy in the video did it.
The wood block with the hole in it helped... but I put the cap "up" and eyeballed center. Worked better for me.

I still have 275 3/32 clecos on backorder with brown tool. So I ordered a leather hole punch. One of those rotary things with multiple sizes. I'm going to try that instead of just poking a hole... there is a drip nib on the end of these I would like to remove.

Last edited by Roarks : 05-16-2019 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:18 PM

Alright I'm ecstatic now.

here's what to do:

Amazon number -> ASIN: B07D28DBC6

Old 05-19-2019, 01:33 AM

Well... Finally got the bandsaw table set up and cut the spar reinforcements.

I wouldn't recommend anyone do this outright.

I justified it because I already had a Milwaukee portaband... probably one of the most bada** consumer grade tools out there. Swag offroad makes these tables for them (and other brands) and I gotta say... VERY nice. Probably much higher quality than any stand up bandsaw for less than $1000.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:20 AM

Default SWAG bandsaw table

I love my SWAG bandsaw table! I bought a cheap $99 harbor freight version of the portable bandsaw just to have the same setup, and I love it! (Just very loud) I also have a cheap Craigslist $90 standalone bandsaw for most aluminum cuts. (Very quiet) I think it’s plastic frame Delta model, and although it’s band speed is too fast for cutting steel, with a fine tooth blade, it cuts aluminum easily! I reserve the SWAG setup for heavier steel cutting in the shop.
Baby Lakes flying