Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-18-2019, 12:13 PM

Default RV-10 Lance in Missouri

Greetings everyone !

Iím now underway on my first build, of an RV-10, and excited to get rolling. After quite a bit of time researching, and attempted self-education, it was time to pull the trigger and get to work.
Nothing quite like the motivation of a big crate being delivered on Monday, and getting 16 inches of snow over the weekend, to be encouraged to keep the driveway shoveled outÖ.
All arrived in great shape, and inventory went smooth.
While waiting on the box to arrive I got the shop all set. Iíve got a nice 20 x 20 work space, with adjacent storage with big 4 x 8 foot shelves which will work great for the large part storage.
Iíve a great paint room setup as well, which will work for parts priming, and Iíve setup a screen frame for that process as well. When setting up the paint room years back, I ran a large copper pipe to the room for paint-gun air and have a take-off in the shop for compressed air, with the noisy compressor living in the garage at the other end of the house. Also have plumbed into the paint room a separate airline for a positive pressure breathing hood making paint work really enjoyable.
I set this shop up years ago for large scale R/C jets and think it will hold the RV for quite a time before outgrowing the space. Nice thing is, by going through the paint room, Iíve a double door opening out of a walk out basement, into the back yard.

Anyhow, glad to join the builder ranks, and also a preemptive thanks for all the good information Iíve learned here so far, from being a previous lurker.

Thanks,
Lance

Old 01-18-2019, 12:19 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF, and Congratulations

Lance, welcome aboard the good ship VAF

Congrats on jumping in with the 10------great choice.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 01-18-2019, 01:33 PM

Welcome, Lance. Looks like you've got an awesome workshop area, with some previous projects as well. Care to fill us in on that interesting structure back there marked Navy?
Good luck on your new project!

Doug
Seattle area
Old 01-18-2019, 01:36 PM

Default Congratulations..

..and welcome to the madness!
RV-10 Working on the "Dreaded Doors"
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....ig&project=803
F-14 (Pedal Plane - Daughter's Project) "Flying"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKCyX2FXrlw
Old 01-18-2019, 03:58 PM

Welcome, Lance!
RV10 - #41687
http://adamsrv10.wordpress.com
N810AB Reserved
Old 01-18-2019, 04:14 PM

Thanks for the well wishes !

The Navy plane youíre seeing on the shelf is one of the RC jets. Both that one and the orange one in front are 200 mph birds.
The big gray thing on the floor under them is the plug and molds for a big scratch built SR-71Ö. Twin turbine, 170 mph top end.
I was always curious about composite work, fiberglass, mold making, etc. so the SR-71 was quite the path to learn it on. Even got the lathe and mill, and make the landing gear for it.
After being cautioned for the last couple of years about how long of a build an RV-10 is going to be, and after spending 9 years doing a scratch build SR-71 model, Iím looking very much forward to having a manual as detailed as VANís is, and just enjoying doing step 1, 2, 3Ö..
Not to derail, but hereís a few pics, so you see, that Iím well accustomed to the madnessÖ.
And to the concept that with enough patience and persistence, even if the road has several thousand steps, you can get there, if you just keep at itÖ

An astute observer might recognize this last shot with the Lakeland Florida (Sun-n-Fun) tower in the background.

I got my pilot's license years ago, but let it fade into the rear view mirror, as life went in other directions. Really looking forward to the path ahead, including as others have said... many aluminum shavings...

Thanks,
Lance
Old 01-18-2019, 04:32 PM

Default Welcome

This is going to be a good one!

Welcome Lance
2019 VAF Donation Complete
Old 01-18-2019, 04:47 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCampbell View Post
Thanks for the well wishes !

The big gray thing on the floor under them is the plug and molds for a big scratch built SR-71Ö. Twin turbine, 170 mph top end.
I was always curious about composite work, fiberglass, mold making, etc. so the SR-71 was quite the path to learn it on. Even got the lathe and mill, and make the landing gear for it.

Thanks,
Lance
Were you out in Dayton NV about a year and a half ago??

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 01-18-2019, 05:59 PM

Hi Lance, and welcome to the adventure. I’m in St. Louis at KSUS.
WA0SYV
Aviation Partners, LLC
Old 01-18-2019, 07:10 PM

Mike,
Yup, that was me.

Lance