VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-17-2018, 06:56 PM

Wink RV7 in SoDak

Hi my name is Chris, I have been lurking around here for 5 or 6 years now. I have wanted to build a plane for as long as I can remember, but when I discovered Vans planes I knew I had to build one of them. I recently found a untouched 2008 rv7 empennage kit locally and got a good deal on it, so I am going to be building a rv7! I have rounded up pretty much all the tools I'm going to need for now anyway. I did order the practice kits from vans and I will start with them first. I plan to keep this thread updated but I don't know how often that will be, I have a very busy life right now. I'm thinking the build is going to be a slow one for now, but that will give me time to save money for the next kit! Anyway I decided to build drdt-2 rather than buy the whole thing. I am not much of a welder so don't beat me up to bad when you see the pics.
Here I have all the pieces cut ready to weld.

Got the frame welded together.

test fitting the ram before welding the plate on

The finished product! It really wasn't hard to build at all.

I am really looking forward to this project and am so glad I have this site to help me on my journey!

[ed. Good morning Chris! Until you figure out how to imbed images, here is the link for folks to see them. https://sdrvbuilder.smugmug.com/Drdt-2/. v/r,dr]

Last edited by cpfeifer : 08-08-2019 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:58 PM

Well it looks like I need to figure out how to add photos! I will try to edit it and get them to work.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:51 PM

Well I finally figured out how to post pictures! I am still super excited about building this plane, I have a ton of projects to finish before I can really get into it. Me and my son are completely rebuilding a jeep to be his first vehicle, so I need to get that finished and out of my shop before I can get going on the plane. I did build van's practice kit and tool box so more to come on that. Thanks
Old 08-09-2019, 01:11 PM

Chris, Looks like you definitely have the homebuilder spirit! Regarding your welds; "perfection is the enemy of good enough". You'll probably hear that phrase more than once around here. Another one is "build on", and keep on posting your progress.

Doug
Seattle area
Old 08-11-2019, 02:00 PM

Default horizontal stabilizer

Here I have completed the HS rear spar assembly.

And here are my first rivets on this plane. I know there are many more to go!
What do you think are they acceptable? To me it looks like they are too short, but the manual even says the 4-5 are the correct length.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:17 PM

So since my kit was purchased before the service buletin that requires the hs-00001 spar doublers, and the hs-00005 and hs-00006 ribs I had to put in an order for them, so on to the vertical stabilizer. Pretty fun stuff, I got to do my first dimpling and countersinking. I think it turned out great. It is now disassembled and ready for priming. On that note what is everyone doing to transfer the position marks for the parts after they have been sprayed? You know so they go back in the correct position is what i'm saying I guess. I'm thinking about laying the all parts out and taking a picture, then when the primer is dry using the pic to remark all the parts. Any way i'm having a great time and I think it is more fun that I thought it was going to be!

Isn't it a thing of beauty!
Old 08-12-2019, 09:57 PM

Default Labels

I always label so they are hidden after assembly. If there are more than one part with the same number, they get a numerical ID such as ribs. I use a set 90° set of arrows to indicate location. One arrow always points up or forward, the other always inboard. Label is written so it's right side up when the part is in place. I usually pick the same spot on every part like the aft flange on ribs. I scuff the area and label before first assembly so it never gets mixed up. If cleaning removes it, I relabel immediately after it's dried. P60G2 is pretty thin so the labels are visible after priming. Long winded but basically find a process that works and stay with it.
There's a Kitplanes tip on my blog.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...1NtRnE3WWNwNVE
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/03/2019, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.

Last edited by wirejock : 08-12-2019 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
I always label so they are hidden after assembly. If there are more than one part with the same number, they get a numerical ID such as ribs. I use a set 90 set of arrows to indicate location. One arrow always points up or forward, the other always inboard. Label is written so it's right side up when the part is in place. I usually pick the same spot on every part like the aft flange on ribs. I scuff the area and label before first assembly so it never gets mixed up. If cleaning removes it, I relabel immediately after it's dried. P60G2 is pretty thin so the labels are visible after priming. Long winded but basically find a process that works and stay with it.
There's a Kitplanes tip on my blog.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...1NtRnE3WWNwNVE
Thanks for that Larry I will give it a try when I finally get all set up for priming.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:58 PM

Default Logging work

I purchased Kitlog to keep track of the build, how detailed should I be getting on the logs? Do I need to included part numbers and all that, or is just saying I worked on the rudder skin stiffners and rudder spar enough? Thanks
Old 09-01-2019, 08:18 PM

Default rudder brace

Ok guys I have a question on the rudder, I trimmed the R-710 rudder brace and clecoed it in place. In the plans it says to match drill the forward and aft ends to the R-904 and the R-405 PD, I can not find what I am supposed to do on the sides with the skins and the spar. I'm thinking it needs to be drilled to #40 and countersunk. I circled the 4 that i'm questioning. Am I on the right track? Thanks

Last edited by cpfeifer : 09-01-2019 at 08:25 PM.