VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-10-2019, 11:02 AM

Canopy skirts are in place! No small feat.... Friend Ken was over last week and we put in 36 man hours total to get them in place. I like how the instructions say, that after all the work it took to fit the bubble to the frame and actually achieve a rolling closure with proper fit, that the rear skirts are the hardest part of the canopy build. I disagree, they were tricky,,, but not the hardest part.

AND.... Here's the long awaited first look at the Aerotronics gauge panel sitting in place. I've waited two years to see this little gem in the cockpit. I'm betting the original builder (Marty Johnson - Gone west) can see it now, and is thrilled, he surely spec'd out a nice panel.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:44 PM

Default Whiskey Compass

Looking nice!

One tip: I'll be stunned if the whiskey compass is within 45 degrees of being correct in that spot. In fact, I've not been able to get any whisky compass to work mounted in the panel. I recently put a vertical card compass in my panel. There is nothing within 6 inches and it's nowhere near accurate.

I hope you have better luck than I. But then, you have an EFIS, so it probably doesn't really matter.

Michael-
Last Donation: December 2019
Old 03-14-2019, 07:19 AM

(Edited 3/26/19 to use Smugmug picture source)

First power-up of the panel! Preliminary wiring is done, and this is the first time it had been turned on.
Nice support from Jason S. at Aerotronics. Note that this panel as built in 2010, and came with the project I took over from another builder, that was dormant for quite some time. Jason had very complete records of the panel, and took the time to answer questions and suggest go-forward plans for its installation. Great product support!
Also working to install a TruTrak Altitude Hold, and electric aileron trim.

Last edited by KazooRV-9A : 03-26-2019 at 01:17 PM.