VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-10-2019, 10:02 AM

Canopy skirts are in place! No small feat.... Friend Ken was over last week and we put in 36 man hours total to get them in place. I like how the instructions say, that after all the work it took to fit the bubble to the frame and actually achieve a rolling closure with proper fit, that the rear skirts are the hardest part of the canopy build. I disagree, they were tricky,,, but not the hardest part.

AND.... Here's the long awaited first look at the Aerotronics gauge panel sitting in place. I've waited two years to see this little gem in the cockpit. I'm betting the original builder (Marty Johnson - Gone west) can see it now, and is thrilled, he surely spec'd out a nice panel.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:44 PM

Default Whiskey Compass

Looking nice!

One tip: I'll be stunned if the whiskey compass is within 45 degrees of being correct in that spot. In fact, I've not been able to get any whisky compass to work mounted in the panel. I recently put a vertical card compass in my panel. There is nothing within 6 inches and it's nowhere near accurate.

I hope you have better luck than I. But then, you have an EFIS, so it probably doesn't really matter.

Michael-
RV-9A Flying–340 hours!
Last Donation: December 2019
Old 03-14-2019, 06:19 AM

(Edited 3/26/19 to use Smugmug picture source)

First power-up of the panel! Preliminary wiring is done, and this is the first time it had been turned on.
Nice support from Jason S. at Aerotronics. Note that this panel as built in 2010, and came with the project I took over from another builder, that was dormant for quite some time. Jason had very complete records of the panel, and took the time to answer questions and suggest go-forward plans for its installation. Great product support!
Also working to install a TruTrak Altitude Hold, and electric aileron trim.

Last edited by KazooRV-9A : 03-26-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:40 AM

Hard to believe I haven't posted an update for a year!
Lots of build progress has occurred.
In the big picture we:
-Completed the sliding canopy (90%), what a job that was... Just need the latch installed and a couple of small things.
-Completed the wings/Ailerons/flaps including installation of Autopilot servo and a late decision to add stall warning.
-Installed the wings on the fuse temporarily to set all things that required adjustment or rigging or connections.
-Completed the front structure including installation of the Aerotronics panel. Enough wiring was completed to power the panel to see the pretty lights and display.
-Installed aileron trim servo and Altitude hold servo.
-Purchased the Van's re-designed front engine and gear leg mount. Managed to find a guy who needed my original design parts and sold them to him. The new parts installed nicely.
-Installed the tail feathers to set rigging, cables, etc. It will come back off for paintwork.
-And the exciting installation of the Poplar Grove assembled O-320. That really added some visual progress!

We accomplished this among other activities like flying our vintage 1946 Cessna 120, restoring a 1972 Triumph 500, Airventure Oshkosh, Motorcycle trips, and numerous other things in life. N951AC is coming along well. We're currently wiring firewall foreward, want to get that done of course before installing the forward skin. Then will get up on the mains, the next big visual progress item.

I'll plan to post more now that I've got a Photobucket paid account for hosting pictures. I just hadn't accomplished getting a host site for quite sometime.

Andy C.

Last edited by KazooRV-9A : 02-26-2020 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:02 PM

Work has continued on the 9A. We completed the fitment of the upper and lower rear fairings and removed the empennage until paintwork will start (we'll be painting the plane in my shop, but the tail, wings and fuse will have to be painted separately).
Then began the installation of some cables. Throttle, Mixture, Carb Heat, and Cabin Heat put into place initially. We've updated to the revised 9A nose gear and engine mount, no problems so far with routings etc, although if you were extra smart, you might do the firewall penetrations and some other things before mounting the engine. But it's not fatal. If you built these every day, you'd be a lot smarter. The second plane would be perfect.
Then on to wiring,,,, I don't hate wiring but I've found it to be the least documented aspect of the assembly, very slow progress, lots of head scratching.
We did at one point, fit the lower cowl to see what clearance we had for the EGT's. There looked to be good space for the orientations we had chosen.
But it's understandable due to the varied nature of each aircraft installation. I'm working from electrical schematics provided by Aerotronics with the panel that they built, and their support is amazing.
I did pick up a Dymo label maker ($60 off Amazon) and it prints on shrink sleeving. It works great.
I have found that it works best to tell yourself, "I'm going to focus on one thing today", as you do the wiring. Like, "Today I'll wire the EGT's". Small bites seem to work well, because if you try to contemplate the entire wiring job, your head will start smoking. And we know what happens when you let the smoke out!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-04-2020, 02:00 PM

Default Museum

Looking good Andy,

Just wondering, do you volunteer at the museum at the airport?

Dn
http://www.mykitlog.com/Don%20Patrick