VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-21-2019, 02:39 PM

Default Vans locking fuel cap keys

Our recently purchased RV-8 has the Van's supplied Newton licking fuel caps. The airplane came with only one key and our lical locksmiths do not have the correct key blank. I have found the key (already cut) at a heavy equipment dealer in France. The key has 044 stamped on it. The company will only sell in lots of ten. Does anyone else need one of these keys?
Old 11-21-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74-07 View Post
Our recently purchased RV-8 has the Van's supplied Newton licking fuel caps. The airplane came with only one key and our lical locksmiths do not have the correct key blank. I have found the key (already cut) at a heavy equipment dealer in France. The key has 044 stamped on it. The company will only sell in lots of ten. Does anyone else need one of these keys?
What brand of heavy equipment? Might try the local rental yards of that brand. They will surely have spares.

Anthony

RV6-A "Aluminum Mistress"
Too many hobbies- not enough time.
2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 donor and happy to do it.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:22 AM

The keys are available directly from Newton.
http://www.newtonsprl.co.uk/
They are a one man band so may not respond immediately.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:02 AM

Wrote them an email several days ago. No reply yet.

Thanks
Old 11-22-2019, 10:33 AM

Is this what you are looking for?https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...es/0503388.php

I also found some at a large locksmith store in Phoenix. I think they are available at some of the larger locksmiths with a store front in larger cities. The small locksmith stores did not have the blanks here.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:10 AM

Shoot me a PM. I have some cylinders and keys for these caps. A couple years ago I decided I wanted a spare cap for my flight bag, so I reached out to Newton to get a new cap that was keyed to match my existing caps. Well, Newton changes lock design every few years, and the old cylinders are no longer available.

Long story short, I ordered a new cap plus two new matching cylinders/keys for my existing caps. They're super easy to change, just a single c-clip holds them in the cap. I'll be glad to send you my two old cylinders and keys for the price of shipping.

Last edited by krw5927 : 11-22-2019 at 11:13 AM.