- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Regional Forums > Canada
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyAB View Post
Wonderful! Are you able to share the documentation that you have?

I have one friend who had major problems because his EFIS, an AFS model, wasn’t certified and therefore he needed a certified encoder for his uncertified transponder. Does your method account for uncertified components in the system?
I will need to search for it, then scan it. Will try to get it to you.

Some inspectors may take on a more aggressive stance on the certification requirement. First time I hear of that one in Canada.

At the time I did this, about 8 years ago, another builder was having trouble because he did not have analog instruments as a backup to his "dual Dynon, independent dual AHRS, each with their own backup battery". Took them a couple of years to resolve with escalation to the minister.

My inspection happened during that time, but I did have some analog steam gauges as backups ... nevertheless I created the document to placate any other concerns.

The process should be more smoother since there have been more IFR installations approved since that time.
980hrs tach.

Last edited by Lycosaurus : 11-22-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackselle View Post
I just went through the process and had my "VFR Only" restriction removed about 1 month ago. The process was far more intimidating than complex.

Transport Canada here in Winnipeg was quite helpful, and pointed me to the Staff Instruction document # 500-024 titled "Airworthiness Evaluation of the Installation of IFR Equipment to Allow the Removal of the “VFR Only” Operating Condition from the Special Certificate of Airworthiness – Amateur-Built".

That document very clearly provides the guidance required to have your "VFR Only" condition removed from your CofA....specifically, section "5.0 Application" is a detailed road map(or flight plan) to the required documentation for your application.

I followed that instruction to the letter, submitted my application by e-mail (copying the local TC representative), and was notified by e-mail within a day or two that my application was successful .

Here's a link to the staff instruction letter:
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviati...ents-1784.html

Good luck!
Dido for my RV-10 last year. Followed the referenced document to the letter and received my new certificate the next day.

Michel
Old 11-22-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackselle View Post
I just went through the process and had my "VFR Only" restriction removed about 1 month ago. The process was far more intimidating than complex.

Transport Canada here in Winnipeg was quite helpful, and pointed me to the Staff Instruction document # 500-024 titled "Airworthiness Evaluation of the Installation of IFR Equipment to Allow the Removal of the “VFR Only” Operating Condition from the Special Certificate of Airworthiness – Amateur-Built".

That document very clearly provides the guidance required to have your "VFR Only" condition removed from your CofA....specifically, section "5.0 Application" is a detailed road map(or flight plan) to the required documentation for your application.

I followed that instruction to the letter, submitted my application by e-mail (copying the local TC representative), and was notified by e-mail within a day or two that my application was successful .

Here's a link to the staff instruction letter:
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviati...ents-1784.html

Good luck!
Thanks for this. It is very helpful and I will use it.
RV10 - QB wings and fuse. Working on cabin top
St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
Reserved:C-GRPY