Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-22-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentlik View Post
What's the component with the cooling fins?

Nice work!
That good sir is the E-bus diode from Perihelion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p51dplt View Post
Very nice work Jereme!

What are you using for doing your wire labels? I am about to start to do an upgrade to my -8 and really like the idea of labelling both ends to help orgainze the spaghetti.

I really like your panel labels too

Cheers!

Brant
Thanks! I use heat shrink in a label maker. It is awesome! I use this label maker, these 1/4" cartridges, and these 3/8" cartridges. Highly recommend.
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 11-03-2019, 11:12 PM

My new engine mount finally arrived!!! Time to put this puppy on gear!

When I opened the package the kiddo decided to help unpack. Future builder?

20191028_172010 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Drilling the mount was pretty straight forward. Still not entirely sure why Van's has you use the two plates with the notches. It's easy to spot if you are within 3/16ths before you drill so I skipped the two plates that get removed in the end anyways. I also didn't want to cut into my awesome titanium work! Worked beautifully!

20191102_144758 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Next I really had to bust the muscles out and lift the fuselage up while the wife slid a sawhorse under it. Even then, to get the main gear on I had to angle it a bit with a 4x4.

20191102_235042 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Fun fact about me, I find it very satisfying to install cotter pins when there is good access.

20191103_120310 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Dang she is a lot taller with all three gear on!!! I hope it squats down quite a bit with the engine and wings go on.

20191103_130327 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Here is a close up of the new nose gear setup. As you can see it doesn't really interfere with anything on the firewall in my case. The only things that will be slightly different is the fuel line will be a 45 degree fitting and the throttle cable will have to snake around the isolator region.

20191103_130332 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I also did some more wiring this weekend too but don't have any pics of that yet. I have all of the power off the buses ran. Now I just got to terminate a few more wires and do the EMS wiring and my panel will be pretty much done. I still have a fair amount of wiring to do FWF and at the sticks though.
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done

Last edited by jcarne : 11-03-2019 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:11 AM

Default Looking good

Hey Jereme.

That must feel awesome to have on gear and all ready to roll around

Keep it up!
Cessna Rocket 210HP - Best dang 172 Ever made! (sold)
Old 11-04-2019, 06:53 PM

Jereme, I saw some of these new front ends ready for shipment a week or so ago at Vans. I was sure I saw your name on one of them! I wasn't sure so I didn't let the cat out of the bag.

That thing looks sick!
Must be one of the first RV's with one installed.

Great times!
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
Bi-annual financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt
Old 11-04-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7ForMe View Post
Hey Jereme.

That must feel awesome to have on gear and all ready to roll around

Keep it up!
You bet! Although now I have to stand on a bucket to finish my wiring. lol A good leg workout never hurt anyone though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentlik View Post
Jereme, I saw some of these new front ends ready for shipment a week or so ago at Vans. I was sure I saw your name on one of them! I wasn't sure so I didn't let the cat out of the bag.

That thing looks sick!
Must be one of the first RV's with one installed.

Great times!
Haha that's awesome Kent. I'm sure there are a few that beat me to it but I think Dreed is the only one I know of right now. I was really surprised how easily it went on. The weldments were all nicely done and the powder coat even seemed a bit better in the sense that it wasn't inside holes very much that prevented bolts from sliding nicely in. Now I just got to finish boxing up the old one to send back.
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done
Old 11-04-2019, 09:47 PM

Default Wing Incidence

Hi Jereme,

It is good to see your project progressing, it must be very satisfying for you.

A comment - when you come to install your wings and set the angle of incidence you will need to ensure the top longerons are perfectly level both longitudinally and from side to side. That is the reason I left my fuselage in the build stand as I knew I had the right levels with no movement after I installed the wings. I only put the fuselage on its landing gear after I had set the angle of incidence and drilled all the holes required, plus removed the wings again to install all the anchor nuts.

With your project now on its landing gear the longerons will definitely not be level longitudinally. Plus when you install the wings the weight of the wings will deform the tyres further. Therefore you will need to compensate by adjusting how the fuselage is sitting to ensure the longerons are level in both axis as per the instructions.

Keep up the good building and I will look forward to future posts.

Cheers,
IO-360-M1B
Catto 3 blade prop
Old 11-04-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffg View Post
Hi Jereme,

It is good to see your project progressing, it must be very satisfying for you.

A comment - when you come to install your wings and set the angle of incidence you will need to ensure the top longerons are perfectly level both longitudinally and from side to side. That is the reason I left my fuselage in the build stand as I knew I had the right levels with no movement after I installed the wings. I only put the fuselage on its landing gear after I had set the angle of incidence and drilled all the holes required, plus removed the wings again to install all the anchor nuts.

With your project now on its landing gear the longerons will definitely not be level longitudinally. Plus when you install the wings the weight of the wings will deform the tyres further. Therefore you will need to compensate by adjusting how the fuselage is sitting to ensure the longerons are level in both axis as per the instructions.

Keep up the good building and I will look forward to future posts.

Cheers,
Thanks for the great comment Gordon. I did have it all leveled before it went on the gear (for other steps during the build) but with building in a one car garage and no way to put the wings on I figured I would just re-level it when I get it to the airport. Some day I will be able to build in a bigger space. haha
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done
Old 11-04-2019, 11:30 PM

Looks great Jereme! Sounds like yours may have been a little easier than mine, but I am super happy to have made the switch. Nothing against the old design, but this seems much better.

I think the only reason I was slightly earlier was being so close to the mothership.

Cheers!

dan
Working on finish kit/cowl
2018 and 2019 VAF dues paid
Old 11-05-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreed View Post
Looks great Jereme! Sounds like yours may have been a little easier than mine, but I am super happy to have made the switch. Nothing against the old design, but this seems much better.

I think the only reason I was slightly earlier was being so close to the mothership.

Cheers!

dan
Haha that and your much closer to flying too! lol
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done