Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-22-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartingt View Post
The left side is; I'll trim it when the wings come off to eliminate contact but I'm not messing with it just to fix something that's within tolerance.
Ya I wouldn't mess with it either, just wondering for curiosities sake.
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 07-29-2019, 06:51 AM

Guess it's time for another update...

Wings are back off. Empennage fitted and removed, flaps and ailerons rigged, rudder and elevators fitted and removed. With luck the wings won't need to go back on till I'm at the airport and a few weeks from flying.

Fuel line routing to the selector is complete. Somehow I managed it with pretty much no preload but those lines right at the selector can't come out unless I cut them out.

This setup does fit under the stock selector enclosure (though the lines out to the pump don't) and more importantly it avoids hard 90s on the suction side.

Fuel selector sits a little bit aft of the stock location but on the space forward on that mount plate I can mount something else--switches, an iPad mount, or maybe arms to hold a cupholder (I've abandoned plans for a center console but I still think I'll use a quadrant throttle, just mounted traditionally). A custom cover will eventually run from the fuel selector cover over the pumps and up to the heater box.

Also, the engine mount is now on with hardware store bolts for the moment. I wanted to get it on there so I could start planning firewall penetrations. As I'm using EFI my fuel lines just need to go to the top of the engine; they don't need to run down to the intake first. I'd like to keep the lines away from the exit air and exhaust pipes, so I was thinking I could run them up on the back side of the firewall first and have the supply line exit on one side and the return on the other; hoses could follow the engine mount up to the back of the engine and then to the distribution manifold.

I had a whole bunch of 1/4 3003 tubing laying around with no specific use for it, so I decided to mock up a line (visible below) and use it as a template. The final line would probably be stainless 3/8. I think I can keep it tight enough to the firewall that the rudder pedals won't hit it even at full deflection and fully forward mounting. Return linese would basically mirror this on the left side.

The routing in the picture behind the firewall shows about what I'm thinking, though I think I'd have the exit come an inch or two further outboard (where the small sharpie circle is) to avoid the brake reservoir if I decide to stick with that location. The bottom picture shows the proposed exit location from that side; a bulkhead. Line supports would be little brackets with P-clamps, screws facing aft. Thoughts welcome.

As I get this done and the bank account recovers a bit more, I'll be doing a final inventory of the engine and figure out what I need to order, then do so. An A&P coworker with lots of Lycoming experience will be helping me build it up sometime this fall, then I'll preserve it.

Also looking to start a bit of the electrical installation, at least on the power supply side. Switching and component wiring will wait. I've also decided on Dynon (HDX vs Legacy Skyview is still TBD) but I've taken the 3d models and made simplified "printable" ones to run on my 3D printer. I'll use them for running wires till I get the real parts in.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:06 AM

A note on my last two picturesóreposting them for comment in their own topic has brought me a lot of good information. Apparently there are things that run through this area I didnít know about, and thereís more room in back of the engine than Iíd thought. Iíll likely be discarding this approach altogether and going to routing from a more traditional location.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:31 AM

Consider what you will have to do to inspect those inline fuel filters before you decide to put them in that location...
Old 07-30-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Cunningham View Post
Consider what you will have to do to inspect those inline fuel filters before you decide to put them in that location...
Fuel selector off
Pull covers
Break safety wire onthe ball valves and close them
Put absorbent stuff down
Pull filters

No, that's not an ideal location for access, but I couldn't fit them in the wing roots like I'd originally tried without using hard 90s somewhere. This way if one filter is blocked, it only blocks one side.

Besides, after the first couple flights I should only be pulling them at annual time, and those covers will be off anyway.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:47 PM

Small update... plans to acquire the rest of the engine parts are on temporary hold as my employer has announced layoffs... I think I'm going to be okay but just be sure, I'm holding off on making purchases.

In the meantime, I've decided it's a good time to fabricate my center fuel pump/fuel line/wiring cover:

Base is secured with pullable hinge pins. Nothing runs under the floor cover because the stiffeners for the fuel pump module block everything. This cover will provide plenty of room for all the systems routing and also give me a place to mount some cupholders or something.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:21 PM

Interesting idea to be sure! I like it. I have return lines as well and noticed your inline filters, what micron are those? 40?
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
Bi-annual financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt
Old 09-18-2019, 11:03 PM

Like the fuel pump cover....what thickness metal did you use on it and where are you putting your fuel flow transponder?

Allen
Old 09-19-2019, 04:24 AM

40 sounds right on the filters; Iíd have to go back and look to be sure.

Cover is .020, same as the rest of the closeouts. Bending it was a trick; used the cutoff leg of an angle extrusion as my radius bock, clamped it all to the table, and slowly beat it to shape with a mallet. I wish I had a deadblow hammer... otherwise just careful marking and trimming. The selector closeout got modified to open up a larger hole and tie it to the center cover, and I still have to modify the forward end near the firewall. Trying to figure out the best way to attach it that wonít be a pain to remove in service.

No fuel flow transducer on this; I donít want the flow restriction. Iíll use the fuel flow output from the ECU.