Watkinsville, Georgia
Old 01-05-2019, 12:24 PM

Amazing paint job, simple as that!
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 01-05-2019, 03:09 PM

Do/did you have any issues when clearing with your cowl mounted on the top and bottom when separating? Won't the clear coat bassically glue the two halves together where they meet/touch? How do you deal with this issue and will there be a line of uneven clear coat where the separate from?

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:57 PM

That is a fabulous job!

Did you happen to do a before/after weight comparison? I didn't on my -6 but wish I had... it's also base/clear, but only 2 coats of clear.

One problem I had with painting my -6 was transferring the scheme from an A3 (letter)-sized AutoCad drawing to the full-scale airplane. I solved that by projecting the scheme onto the airplane with an LCD projector, which worked really well. I just applied tape along the projected lines. From that I made paper patterns, which I could use in the booth as well as on both sides to get symmetry.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toc pilot View Post
Do/did you have any issues when clearing with your cowl mounted on the top and bottom when separating? Won't the clear coat bassically glue the two halves together where they meet/touch? How do you deal with this issue and will there be a line of uneven clear coat where the separate from?

Thanks.
No mate..If you stop the video at 8min 28sec you can see there is a gap between cowls and the airframe too....A 1 mm gap all round
Having the cowls butting will ensure chafing and chipping of paint when you take them on and off.
The clear isn't put on thick enough to span a 1mm gap...maybe if you overloaded the clear in this area causing sags it probably would.
Cheers
Joe
Old 01-05-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgerhardt View Post
That is a fabulous job!

Did you happen to do a before/after weight comparison? I didn't on my -6 but wish I had... it's also base/clear, but only 2 coats of clear.

One problem I had with painting my -6 was transferring the scheme from an A3 (letter)-sized AutoCad drawing to the full-scale airplane. I solved that by projecting the scheme onto the airplane with an LCD projector, which worked really well. I just applied tape along the projected lines. From that I made paper patterns, which I could use in the booth as well as on both sides to get symmetry.
No..but I have done a comparison of 2K solid with 2K graphics compared to basecoat and basecoat graphics with clear and 2K is heavier.
I have also compared the effects of before and after flow coating..(sanding clear and spraying 2 more coats) it added 1.8% on my rudder and about 1.1% to my vert stabs total weight...
I'm going for the best looking plane...not the lightest
cheers
Joe
Old 08-27-2019, 07:24 AM

Default Fitting the spinner

Hey All
Just another video..this one of how I installed my spinner without mounting it on the engine...enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUfc...ature=youtu.be