VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-11-2019, 04:07 PM

Thank you. Any pictures or more info on it?
RV-8 N52VM : Dynon D-180, GTX327, SL40, Garmin 496 GPS, AP74 Autopilot, Titan 0-360A1A2N, Nickel Coated Cylinders, 2 Slick mags (both impulse coupled), engine preheater, Hartzell Plane-Power alternator, Hartzell HC-C2YR-1BFP constant speed, blended airfoil

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:58 PM

Default TruTrak Integration

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotmansam View Post
Steve, you are being quite patient with all of these questions. One more: How does the TruTrak interface with the system?
Right now, we have basic NMEA integration, which means the Vizion or Gemini uses our GPS info to drive the "Track" mode (i.e. following a set ground track) and the "NAV" mode (following left-of-course / right-of-course and track-to-next-waypoint info). This works with pretty much any modern digital autopilot.

In the near future we will be adding remote control capabilities for the TruTrak APs, which is really very cool. The remote mode will allow FlightView to turn the AP on / off, set the mode, and adjust the lateral and vertical configuration just as a human user can from the control head (but a whole lot faster). This is cool because it simplifies standard operations (not that the TruTrak APs are hard to use), but it's even cooler because it may open up some basic forms of "envelope protection".

RV-6A N101PR at KRHV
2019 =VAF= Donation Paid
Open Flight Solutions - Maker Of FlightBox ADS-B
(VAF Supporter / Advertiser)
Old 07-11-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot135pd View Post
Can't find the FLightDock anywhere under Products or Store on your website.
I haven't put it up yet because I don't have "real" product photos yet. I don't have those yet because we just finalized the mount for it recently and I don't yet have any of the pretty professionally milled enclosures yet. I should have them some time shortly after Oshkosh. (I guess I should go ahead and post my pic of the prototype - that gets the idea across pretty well.)

FlightBar will come with mounting hardware for either our FlightDock iPad mount or the X-naut mount.

The current plan is to sell FlightDock for $200, FlightBar for $200, or the pair for $350.

RV-6A N101PR at KRHV
2019 =VAF= Donation Paid
Old 07-11-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssokol View Post
I haven't put it up yet because I don't have "real" product photos yet. I don't have those yet because we just finalized the mount for it recently and I don't yet have any of the pretty professionally milled enclosures yet. I should have them some time shortly after Oshkosh. (I guess I should go ahead and post my pic of the prototype - that gets the idea across pretty well.)

FlightBar will come with mounting hardware for either our FlightDock iPad mount or the X-naut mount.

The current plan is to sell FlightDock for $200, FlightBar for $200, or the pair for $350.
I really like your product and where it’s going and also understand you’re wanting to sell your EFIS product after spending so much time designing it but it limits sales to people who don’t already have an EFIS. I would buy your Stratux, Flightdock, and Flightbar if they would work with other EFB apps like WingX. It’s like people who have FF don’t want to learn another EFIS even if it’s cheaper or even free. That’s why I won’t buy another Garmin product because they only play with other Garmins.
RV-8 N52VM : Dynon D-180, GTX327, SL40, Garmin 496 GPS, AP74 Autopilot, Titan 0-360A1A2N, Nickel Coated Cylinders, 2 Slick mags (both impulse coupled), engine preheater, Hartzell Plane-Power alternator, Hartzell HC-C2YR-1BFP constant speed, blended airfoil

Old 07-11-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
I really like your product and where itís going and also understand youíre wanting to sell your EFIS product after spending so much time designing it but it limits sales to people who donít already have an EFIS. I would buy your Stratux, Flightdock, and Flightbar if they would work with other EFB apps like WingX. Itís like people who have FF donít want to learn another EFIS even if itís cheaper or even free. Thatís why I wonít buy another Garmin product because they only play with other Garmins.
And I won't buy anything tethered to Apple....
Old 07-11-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
And I won't buy anything tethered to Apple....
And youíll miss out on tons of apps that developers like this one only make for IOS for the reasons he stated earlier.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I really like your product and where itís going and also understand youíre wanting to sell your EFIS product after spending so much time designing it but it limits sales to people who donít already have an EFIS. I would buy your Stratux, Flightdock, and Flightbar if they would work with other EFB apps like WingX. Itís like people who have FF donít want to learn another EFIS even if itís cheaper or even free. Thatís why I wonít buy another Garmin product because they only play with other Garmins.
The challenge with using an existing EFB like WingX, ForeFlight, or FlyQ is that they're built to be EFB - flight planning and situational awareness tools - and don't have all the things you want in an EFIS.

I use and like both Aerovie and ForeFlight, built I ended up building the FlightView app because neither of them (nor any other EFB) have what I considered must-have EFIS features:

- Air data (airspeed, OAT, TAS, density altitude)
- Engine data
- Fuel data
- COM tuning interface
- transponder interface
- autopilot interface

This is in no way intended as a slight on any EFB app. They have a lot of features that are not in FlightView. But they're intended for pre-flight planning, self-briefing, and in-flight situational awareness. FlightView is built for flight instrumentation, engine instrumentation, and VFR navigation. They're complimentary, but serve different purposes.

As for the learning curve, I hear you. I did my best to make the FlightView user interface as intuitive as possible. I actually hired a UI designer who used to work at Apple to help with that. We spent a lot of time fine tuning the design to make it as easy to use as we could.

I just posted a library of short training videos. Check out the one on navigation. I think you'll find that while it's different from WingX, it's pretty easy.

RV-6A N101PR at KRHV
2019 =VAF= Donation Paid
Old 07-12-2019, 09:01 AM

Thanks for posting the videos. Very nice and showcases your system well.

Even if one doesnít want to use as a PFD, for VFR looks like a nice product for an MFD or stand alone engine monitor?

Tim
KCHD AZ
Ďíííííííííí__|__
*>óO-(_)-Oó<*
Old 07-12-2019, 09:06 AM

I'm really impressed with the "fit&finish" of the UI and the features. You've come a long way to a product that seems ready to show up the big guys. Great work!
Old 07-12-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brdog42 View Post
Even if one doesnít want to use as a PFD, for VFR looks like a nice product for an MFD or stand alone engine monitor?
Yes, though I suspect users would probably want several additional display options for an MFD:

- Map / EMS 50/50
- Classic traffic display
- Additional weather products (already on the drawing board)

It might also work better in portrait mode, which is also on the list.

RV-6A N101PR at KRHV
2019 =VAF= Donation Paid