What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9 Tip Up Lifts In Flight!!

USCANAM

Well Known Member
Really noticed for the first time, that my tip up side rails are moving away from the fuselage rails in flight.
We're close to 70 hours now, and the latches have never let go, but I am starting to use the top lock too. In the past, I've only used the overhead lock to hold the canopy open while taxiing.
When on the ground, and the canopy is down and locked, there is absolutely no space between the fuselage rail and the canopy seal.
In low power flight showing about 170 mph, the canopy rail is bowing up with almost a 1/4" max showing at mid point of the rail. Using the overhead lock, which is a tight fit to the roll hoop, this is cut in about half.
Just wondered if anyone else has noticed this
Jack

Jack,

It doesn't surprise me. Take off once without latching the canopy and you will exactly how much lift there really is on the canopy.

It will float open about four inches. Just don't ask me how I know.

If you elect to do this test, make sure there are no charts or paper in your cockpit. If there are, they won't be there for very long.

...and don't hold small pieces of paper loosely in your hand near those rails in flight. They get sucked out.

Not that I would know ;).

b,
dr

Jack,

It will float open about four inches. Just don't ask me how I know.

Can you pull it down with one hand or not?

I had closed my slider, but it wasn't latched. I couldn't even move it the 1/8" required to latch..........at least one handed. Only noticed because of air blowing over my head.

L.Adamson -- RV6A

Can you pull it down with one hand or not?

I had closed my slider, but it wasn't latched. I couldn't even move it the 1/8" required to latch..........at least one handed. Only noticed because of air blowing over my head.

L.Adamson -- RV6A
What I'm going to say applies only to the -9, it is my understanding the -6, & -7's act differently.

Yes, it can be closed in flight but to do it, I had to climb to altitude (After grabbing all the charts, paper, etc. and stuffing them under my legs.), slow the plane down, deploy the flaps, trim the speed for 65 MPH, and pull down on the overhead handle and latch it. It was then possible to lock the side latches.

During the entire flight, the plane is controllable. One interesting thing to note was that with the canopy open, the plane wanted to fly at an attitude with the nose higher than normal. That is probably a result of the impact on lift caused by the canopy being open.

During the entire flight, the plane is controllable. One interesting thing to note was that with the canopy open, the plane wanted to fly at an attitude with the nose higher than normal. That is probably a result of the impact on lift caused by the canopy being open.

It is interesting.

In my case, my wife is listening to the scanner at work, which is directly lined up with the departure end of the runway. I announce a straight out departure, and then quickly change to a landing. Naturally, she thinks something is terribly wrong!

Should I accidently forget to use my written checklist again.... :)

I'll just get to altitude and slow down to 65.. :D

L.Adamson

It sort of happened to me...

I had the overhead latched, but forgot the side latch. I was about 10 minutes into my flight at cruse alt. I couldn't figure out why my cruise speed was slow that day and then I noticed that the canopy was not down all the way. I just pushed the side latch into position and picked up 10 knots.

Kent

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never managed to get in the air with the canopy unlatched but a couple of times, I've started my take-off roll with it propped open. The rattling noise lets you know pretty quickly. My recommendation is to STOP first, then latch the canopy, trying to roll down the runway and latch the canopy at the same time isn't the best idea.

Not that I have a data point ..... :)

I've never managed to get in the air with the canopy unlatched but a couple of times, I've started my take-off roll with it propped open. The rattling noise lets you know pretty quickly. My recommendation is to STOP first, then latch the canopy, trying to roll down the runway and latch the canopy at the same time isn't the best idea.

Not that I have a data point ..... :)
Good advice, unless you are on a short strip. In which case it is best to continue on, land, and then latch the canopy.

Canopy

OK. What about the slider? How far will it open if not latched? Does it cause aerodynamic issues which may be hazardous to one's health? Can it be closed in flight? Can we fly around looking cool with our elbows on the rails? This is in regards to the RV6 , but I suppose the 7 and 9 would be similar.

Thanks,

Bo

The slider will not come open in flight. I dare say that you probably couldn't open it if you tried. Normal forces on a slider are pushing the canopy forward.

Canopy

My dads RV-6A tip up pop open with him in flight going 160 mph. He said it put the plane in vertical dive. He said if it hadn't been for the seat belts it would have threw him out of the plane. He was able to get back to the throttle and controls and pulled it out of the dive with less than 1000 feet. He now locks the canopy top lock and made another lock for the handle inside. Make sure the dogs on the canopy latch go all the way in when adjusting the rod between the locks and handle.

Yes (on the RV-6 also). Just climb to altitude, then slow to near stall...and you can close it.

Not that I have a data point :).....

Not that I do either.......anyway, if you slow down and lower flaps fully it is very easy to close. The full flaps give you a more nose down attitude for a given amount of airspeed which helps it to be nearly closed without pulling on it.

Really noticed for the first time, that my tip up side rails are moving away from the fuselage rails in flight.
We're close to 70 hours now, and the latches have never let go, but I am starting to use the top lock too. In the past, I've only used the overhead lock to hold the canopy open while taxiing.
When on the ground, and the canopy is down and locked, there is absolutely no space between the fuselage rail and the canopy seal.
In low power flight showing about 170 mph, the canopy rail is bowing up with almost a 1/4" max showing at mid point of the rail. Using the overhead lock, which is a tight fit to the roll hoop, this is cut in about half.
Just wondered if anyone else has noticed this
Jack

Yep my one side opens up about 1/8 in flight. Other side a little less. BTW look at the rear of the engine cowl at the point where there is no hinge on top. That pillows quite a lot too.

slider

What am I missing here? I fly a 9A slider and I have no side latches. Did I miss something in the plans? At this point I see no need for side latches as my top latch seems to do the job very well. I know that the only thing holding the canopy on in the back is that little plastic slide thing. How much pressure will it tolerrate?

not latches

I believe what are being referred to as side latches on the slider are in fact the UHMW blocks that the pins in the slider frame engage at the aft end of the canopy tracks...unless there's something new out there.

Back